Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ - Roughly 20 hours layover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More
YYZ - Roughly 20 hours layover

Arriving from LGA at 21:50 and leaving to LHR at 18:25 next day in Febraury only with hand luggage on an EU passport (applied for eTA). Ideally I would like to visit Niagara falls if it possible, is it doable? Where do you sugggest I stay?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
There are tour buses, but I don't think any of them work with your schedule.

If it were me, I'd stay in an airport hotel and rent a car.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jortheo
Arriving from LGA at 21:50 and leaving to LHR at 18:25 next day in Febraury only with hand luggage on an EU passport (applied for eTA). Ideally I would like to visit Niagara falls if it possible, is it doable? Where do you sugggest I stay?
Originally Posted by Skatering
There are tour buses, but I don't think any of them work with your schedule.

If it were me, I'd stay in an airport hotel and rent a car.
I agree that renting a vehicle and driving down to The Falls is the best way given the timing and duration. That's what I would do.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
There's a large range of hotels near YYZ, or you could stay somewhere along the way to Niagara Falls.
But check room rates in Niagara Falls first; if there's nothing going on in town then, you could score a great rate on a room with a view of the Falls.

When you go to view the Falls, dress warmly with something over your head and face; it's not the temperature that'll get you; it's the ice.
In the spring, summer and fall, you can enjoy the mist spraying at you from the falls.
In February, those are miniature ice pellets.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Hiring a car from downtown is cheaper than at the airport and you can get a limo for a flat rate of about $50.

Assuming it’s soon (ie winter) you’ll be arriving late as well. Get a hotel in Toronto (staying out of town can save $ here) and get the hire car in the morning to drive there and back. Airport drop off doesn’t add costs.

Public transport options are limited at this time of year.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Arriving at 10 pm means NF at midnight at best. It's 90 minutes at least each way plus getting a car and all that. The falls are OK at night but not that great. They might be frozen over which is interesting when illuminated, but I am not sure the long range forecast says that's too likely even in February.

6:25 pm departure means airport by 4 p.m. and with rush hour traffic loathsome in all directions, I can't see this as being much fun or very practical. Arrive 12 midnight or later, have a look, sleep to 7 a.m. so it's light out when you look at the falls, and leave at 2 pm is a long day. 6-7 hours there with the drive is possible for the truly motivated. Stick to the Canada side.

If it's Valentine's Day there may be few hotel rooms otherwise I think it would be pretty cheap even overlooking the falls. A couple hotels have a view of the falls. I think two for sure do. Oakes Inn and Sheraton Fallsview.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
If you don't anticipate being in the area again for a while, I think it's worth a visit, although Toronto is a great place to spend a day, too. What day do you land at YYZ? The drive back will be easier on a weekend than a weekday because of traffic.

I definitely agree with getting an airport hotel in case the weather is awful and unsuitable for driving to Niagara Falls the next day. Definitely don't book anything non-refundable in Niagara Falls. The Sheraton in T3 is the most convenient, but the Alt Hotel beside the value parking lot is also convenient and good enough for one night. Car rental at YYZ is very easy - no shuttle necessary - so picking up/dropping off a rental car won't waste too much time.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure where you are coming from / how long the flight is etc. but if you think you will still be awake / alert, I would drive down to Niagara when you arrive (roads should be quiet) and stay in Niagara overnight - it's about 90 minutes, almost entirely on the highway. There are lots of hotels to choose from based on your budget - Falls view rooms are nice, but I am guessing you won't be in the room much to see it. You can spend the morning grabbing breakfast, walking down to the falls, and seeing some of the other attractions, a quick shower back at the hotel and check out, then head back towards Toronto. You could consider lunch in Niagara on the Lake, or there are some outlets nearby if shopping is your thing. If you are going to be tired when you arrive / not alert then I suggest staying at one of the Toronto airport hotels, and making an early start the next day to drive down.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:00 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
One thing to keep in mind that LGA is very prone to delays so I wouldn't count on arriving on time. While it's doable if you rent a car, it would be very rushed.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:00 am
Original Poster

I reserved a hotel next to the airport and depending on the weather I may venture out to Niagara or Toronto the next day. Many thanks.
jerry305 and Santander like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Just a quick update My flight was cancelled due to the polar vortex and the layover is only 5 hours. Needless to say that I am not going out.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Just a quick update My flight was cancelled due to the polar vortex and the layover is only 5 hours. Needless to say that I am not going out.
Stay warm! Hopefully you can make a proper trip to YYZ some time to see Niagara Falls.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I bet Niagara is awesome at the moment. But you’d be lucky to get there in 5h at present.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:47 pm

Here's a shot of the American falls that was taken a few days ago and posted on Reddit

Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jono
Here's a shot of the American falls that was taken a few days ago and posted on Reddit

That's really beautiful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.