Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

US customs Pre-clearance at Toronto airport

Old Dec 8, 18, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am an Indian citizen residing in Toronto. Next week, I am travelling from Toronto to San Francisco on an American Airlines flight with a stop at Chicago. I only have 1 hour 15 minutes of layover at Chicago. My question is is this time enough to go through the US customs clearance to catch my connecting flight to San Francisco?

Can I go through the US customs pre-clearance in Toronto airport and catch my connecting flight in Chicago without going through the check again?

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 18, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
You won’t have a choice. You will pre-clear US immigration formalities in Toronto and arrive in Chicago as a domestic passenger. You then just need to find your next flight’s gate. No security, no immigration.
Old Dec 8, 18, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Yes, pre-clearence will be in Toronto, which usually takes about 15-30min, so you don't need to worry about customs when you land in ORD. This also means your flight will land in one of the domestic terminals (T1-3). Assuming you are connecting with the same airline or one of their partners, you shouldn't have to leave change terminals and go through a security again.

Search this Thread