Wiki Posts
Search

Poutine in Quebec City

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Poutine in Quebec City

I've heard so much about this "delicacy" that I have to try for the best. Some rumors have it that food trucks are the way to go, but is there some local joint that's made its name from Poutine? (thinking of the Hebrew deli in Montreal that cornered the smoked meat market )
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:27 am

Perhaps it's not as an authentic, but I just go to Costco for my poutine!
MojaveFlyer and Analise like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: LH M+M
How about http://www.poutineville.com/en/locations.html (St. Roch)

Got this pointer from a guy from Ottawa who knows the one in Montreal and reports it as 'most decadent and fancy', YMMV.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:24 pm

Chez Ashton is my favourite place for Poutine in QC. They have 25 locations in the City.

http://chezashton.ca/nos-succursales/
airoli likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There's a Lebanese takeout place hidden in a half basement of rue d'Auteuil in the upper part of the upper town. Addition of merguez sausages really make it.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I had mine at La Buche in Quebec City couple weeks ago. Loved it!

Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Poutine isn't on my gastronomic list of achievements but I'm told by my poutine-loving friends that if you are going to have it in Quebec you should have it topped with foie gras. They've mentioned this place:

http://restopubqdesac.com
Old Feb 15, 2024, 3:13 pm

I find that with poutine the sketchier the diner the better. They have these greasy joints you stop at and assuming they prep the food well, it's some of the best poutine you'll ever have. If you're in Montreal though definitely go for La Banquise, might be a bit overrated but it's a really good introduction.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:58 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Le Lapin Sauté makes an amazing rabbit poutine. My friend orders it sans lapin and it’s still great. Back in Montréal, La Banquise is a solid choice, but don’t sleep on the poutine across the street at Ma Poule Mouillée. It’s a solid choice for people who love Portuguese food.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by k_godin
I find that with poutine the sketchier the diner the better. They have these greasy joints you stop at and assuming they prep the food well, it's some of the best poutine you'll ever have. If you're in Montreal though definitely go for La Banquise, might be a bit overrated but it's a really good introduction.
Agree. The best poutines on our Quebec roadtrip were from places in small towns. The sketchier looking the better.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:07 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Do not go to Ashton, perhaps the most overrated poutine in history. Posters above are correct, fancy poutine (with foie gras for example) is not poutine, simpler is better.

You want to have it in a diner like this one if you want the real thing.

https://www.chezgastonquebec.ca/
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Poutine is kind of like pizza by the slice or shawarma, it's a street food that is best eaten while drunk at 3 am. Eating elevated "fancy" poutine defeats the purpose IMO.

For instance, I remember this place made a kick-... poutine back in the day. Buy it from a place that looks like this for the true experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.