FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Dinner at YVR Landside? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1938885-dinner-yvr-landside.html)

lkar Nov 4, 2018 8:17 am

Dinner at YVR Landside?

We are arriving from the US around 830 pm and staying at the Fairmont in the airport. I’m looking for a reasonably priced dinner with kids. The Fairmont restaurant looks a bit too pricey for us. Assuming we get through customs and immigration around 9330, is there anything that is open and ok airside? The YVR website is not hugely helpful or maybe it’s user error with the website. :)

yyznomad Nov 4, 2018 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 30391589)
We are arriving from the US around 830 pm and staying at the Fairmont in the airport. I’m looking for a reasonably priced dinner with kids. The Fairmont restaurant looks a bit too pricey. Assuming we get through customs and immigration around 9330, is there anything that is open and ok airside? The YVR website is not hugely helpful or maybe it’s user error with the website. :)

FYI, the YVR Fairmont is ground side. There is no access to it from airside.

For a simple and reasonably priced sit-down grub with your kids, you can do something like White Spot ground side. It is open until 11pm daily.

There is also a food court ground side.

If you are arriving on a flight from US, you will be booted to ground side after customs/immigration and baggage.

lkar Nov 4, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks. I meant land side not airside.

White Spot looks great. Thanks very much!

yyznomad Nov 4, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 30392863)

Np. Enjoy your time in YVR and hopefully you get a chance to see a bit of the area.

KDS777 Nov 6, 2018 9:07 am

I'd take the Canada Line downtown (20 min) for the best food choices. Depends how old and cranky the kids may be I guess.

IMHO there is nothing landslide at the airport worth staying for unless chain style fast food or the White Spot (think Denny's) is what you are good with.

EmailKid Nov 6, 2018 9:35 am

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 30392863)

While a Canadian institution and an OK place, it's a chain. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that.

YVR Cockroach Nov 6, 2018 3:47 pm

If one could go back a couple of decades, the Cantonese restaurant before the int'l area was actually quite good.

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 30399802)
I'd take the Canada Line downtown (20 min) for the best food choices. Depends how old and cranky the kids may be I guess.

Kinda expensive. $5 + fare each. Might as well take a cab.

yyznomad Nov 6, 2018 4:03 pm

Well, I was only trying to answer the OP's question for what it was and it works just as well. It sounded like to me, s/he wanted to land, get a quick inexpensive and not horrible bite to eat with their kids, and then head to the hotel for some rest.

But since this is FT, I guess we can say "why stay in the terminal when you can choose hundreds of restaurants accessible by the Canada Line and walking a bit?" :)

In that case, try out Forage on Robson. Or the original Guu. Or the... blah blah etc.

lkar Nov 7, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks all. We have a really full Vancouver day the following day and also have a time zone mismatch working. So, the hope was to get in bed by 11:00 or so. I’ll keep our expectations in check at the White Spot.

pauq Nov 8, 2018 3:40 am

White spot is not high cuisine but it's not that bad either. OP will be fine.

heraclitus Nov 8, 2018 10:06 am

OP mentioned kids and White Spot is a great place to bring them to. Sometimes you just need to grab the low hanging fruit.

Besides, their burgers are pretty tasty too.

ricktoronto Nov 8, 2018 11:18 am

We are arriving from the US around 830 pm and staying at the Fairmont in the airport. I’m looking for a reasonably priced dinner with kids. The Fairmont restaurant looks a bit too pricey. Assuming we get through customs and immigration around 9330, is there anything that is open and ok airside? The YVR website is not hugely helpful or maybe it’s user error with the website. :)

White Spot. Triple O Burgers best in Vancouver and kids meals. Like an Earls without the loud noise and busty waitresses. It is before security perhaps a pickle is a threat.
The skytrain from the airport can take you into Richmond for Chinese food a plenty.

EmailKid Nov 8, 2018 12:39 pm

We are arriving from the US around 830 pm and staying at the Fairmont in the airport. I’m looking for a reasonably priced dinner with kids. The Fairmont restaurant looks a bit too pricey. Assuming we get through customs and immigration around 9:30, is there anything that is open and ok airside? The YVR website is not hugely helpful or maybe it’s user error with the website. :)

All this talk of light rail ..... OP arrives late, with a family, so that would increase the cost since one pays extra for the last two or so stops to get to YVR.

Looking at Google Maps I have spotted what I consider a good suggestion:

Another Canadian institution, Tim Horton

It sort of looks like it's landside - I am much more familiar with YYJ, where it is most definitely landside. I have purchased many bagels and cups of coffee at YYJ, and while it's not a sit down restaurant, it has good food at good prices and should be kid friendly and would not take up well north of half hour for transport at a late hour @:-)

yyznomad Nov 8, 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 30408801)
All this talk of light rail ..... OP arrives late, with a family, so that would increase the cost since one pays extra for the last two or so stops to get to YVR.

Looking at Google Maps I have spotted what I consider a good suggestion:

Another Canadian institution, Tim Horton

It sort of looks like it's landside - I am much more familiar with YYJ, where it is most definitely landside. I have purchased many bagels and cups of coffee at YYJ, and while it's not a sit down restaurant, it has good food at good prices and should be kid friendly and would not take up well north of half hour for transport at a late hour @:-)

Yes, Timmie's is in the YVR domestic landside food court. Same with Subway and a few other chains in the food court. That foodcourt is behind the White Spot.
IIRC, there is also another Timmie's behind the domestic luggage area.

Jay71 Nov 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 30408467)
White Spot. Triple O Burgers best in Vancouver and kids meals. Like an Earls without the loud noise and busty waitresses. It is before security perhaps a pickle is a threat.
The skytrain from the airport can take you into Richmond for Chinese food a plenty.

A find a lot of people speak highly of White Spot's burgers. I don't know if I'm the oddball but while I think they're decent, I don't see what the fuss is all about. Kind of the same in reverse when I talk about In N Out. :)
One tip I'd like to offer is for their legendary burger. Normally, it's just a pretty basic burger with pickles and Triple O sauce. But you can ask to get lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on it for free. I've had a few family and friends that were puzzled that you had to specifically ask for these basic toppings, not realizing that the Legendary is likely based on the basic burgers Nat Bailey originally sold.