Wiki Posts
Search

London-Vancouver-Smithers Connection Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

London-Vancouver-Smithers Connection Questions

Hi,
I booked an itinerary on Air Canada from LHR to Smithers via YVR. When I booked it the connection time was 2 hours, but then Air Canada moved the time of the second flight so now I will only have 1 hr and 20 minutes in Vancouver. This itinerary is on Thursday January 22nd:
AC 855 from LHR lands in YVR at 4:05pm
AC 8564 from YVR to Smithers at 5:25pm

I need to be in Smithers by midday on the following day latest. There is an Air Canada flight the next morning but to change to that flight now would cost $200. (I feel that should be free but it's only free if the schedule change is more than 2 hours, which is annoying) Obviously if I miss the above connection Air Canada would just put me on that flight the next morning for free, but if that flight is full, then I will be screwed.

What do you guys think? Firstly, what are my chances of making that connection in 1 hr and 20 minutes at that time? Or should I just take the stress out of it and change to the flight the next morning in case it gets booked up and I could end up stuck in YVR?

Many Thanks!
Marc
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The questions to ask are passport you'll be using, checked bags, class of travel, entry and security facilitators. You have to clear Canadian entry, drop bags off, and reclear security to get to the domestic gates. That can be a busy arrival time too. Not sure how busy domestic departures then but Canadian security is as fast and efficient as British (take it for what you want). I would not be entirely comfortable with it in a nutshell.

You could book and hold a refundable ticket for the next day's flight, or ask AC to protect you on that flight, or see who else has a flight that morning that will get you there in time.. Then again, the schedule could change again.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.
I have a US passport, flying economy (but booked a seat towards the front of economy on the first flight), and will have a checked bag.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
With a U.S. passport, you may be able to use the automated machines which may help (not sure about this at all however).

If you can get Nexus, it'll improve your chances considerably and comfortably for Canadian entry (immigration line) and security. Baggage devliery is where you hang up may be.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
You are down to Air Canada's Minimum Connection Time, but not below it. If they change again to make it even shorter you can force them to change the flight.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:28 pm

You should also take into consideration the chance your flight from LHR to YVR could arrive late. It will be winter so even a small delay of 15 minutes is possible and could make you miss your connection. Your checked bags should be forwarded directly to your Smithers flight so that won't hold you up. You need to decide what is the cost of not arriving in Smithers when you need to be there. Would it be more than the cost of paying to change the ticket and being sure you can arrive when you need to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.