FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   What Canada’s marijuana legalization means for travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1936084-what-canada-s-marijuana-legalization-means-travelers.html)

GUWonder Oct 17, 2018 1:42 pm

What Canada’s marijuana legalization means for travelers

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/amp/t...ada/index.html

Originally Posted by CNN

The rules are different across cities and provinces

The law legalizing marijuana use is federal, but each Canadian province and state can add laws on top of that.

For example, the province of Alberta has some of the most liberal laws on marijuana use, but Calgary -- the biggest city in Alberta -- has banned the use of recreational pot in public. Violating the law could mean a $100 ticket. Recreational marijuana use is legal in private places, but landlord and tenant agreements are allowed to forbid cannabis use, the city says.
The rule against public marijuana use is particularly limiting for tourists, who may not have a private location to smoke. Be sure to check province and local laws before planning any marijuana tourism.

You can't legally leave Canada with weed

Marijuana may be legal in some states in the United States, but it is still prohibited federally. That means it is still illegal to bring marijuana purchased in Canada across the border into the United States.
Yes, even if you are flying into a state where it is legal, such as Colorado.

I am betting it means travelers to the US coming from Canada will get checked by US CBP more than was the case at say this time last year.

yyznomad Oct 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Happy Weednesday, everyone. :)

So far the sky hasn't fallen here.

(I have many friends and acquaintances working in this new industry, and they are all relieved that the US has relaxed some requirements)

tmiw Oct 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30325794)
I am betting it means travelers to the US coming from Canada will get checked by US CBP more than was the case at say this time last year.

Does TSA in states that have legalized it do more checking than others? Granted, TSA is different than CBP, but it's still illegal on domestic flights and could predict what CBP will do.

BeachRat Oct 17, 2018 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30326471)
Does TSA in states that have legalized it do more checking than others? Granted, TSA is different than CBP, but it's still illegal on domestic flights and could predict what CBP will do.

Good questions!

For LAX, from the web:

LAX: Marijuana Policy
https://www.flylax.com/en/lax-marijuana-policy

As of January 1, 2018, California law allows for individuals 21 years of age or older to possess up to 28.5 grams of marijuana and 8 grams of concentrated marijuana for personal consumption. With the change in state law, the policy and procedures of the Los Angeles Airport Police Division (APD) regarding marijuana were updated to reflect this change. APD officers, who are California Peace Officers, have no jurisdiction to arrest individuals if they are complying with state law. However, airport guests should be aware that Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screening stations are under federal jurisdiction. Also, passengers should be aware that marijuana laws vary state by state and they are encouraged to check the laws of the states in which they plan to travel.

We Asked the TSA About the LAX Marijuana Policy - This is What We Learned
www.civilized.life/articles/lax-marijuana-policy/amp.html

According to the LAXPD, the TSA has jurisdiction over the security checkpoint, but if the TSA discovers cannabis (recreational or medicinal) during their screening process, they refer the matter to law enforcement. Even if the amount is acceptable under LAX's policy, the TSA's response to finding cannabis is the same in every state and at every airport, regardless of the state's individual cannabis laws. This is because the TSA's primary purpose is safety, "TSA’s focus is on terrorism and security threats to the aircraft and its passengers. TSA’s screening procedures, which are governed by federal law, are focused on security and are designed to detect potential threats to aviation and passengers."

Our takeaway: it appears the TSA will allow travelers to go through the security checkpoint because the LAXPD said that no action will be taken if they determine the amount is within what's allowed by law.

Obviously, YMMV

Badenoch Oct 18, 2018 6:07 am

What would the result be if an American from a pot-legal state arrived at the Canadian border with cannabis? What about a returning Canadian coming from a pot-legal U.S. state that borders directly on Canada? Would it be the same as arriving with a quart of vodka?

airoli Oct 18, 2018 10:09 am

Bringing cannabis across the Canadian border, in both directions, is illegal under Canadian law.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...nabis-eng.html

tentseller Oct 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 30328877)
Bringing cannabis across the Canadian border, in both directions, is illegal under Canadian law.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...nabis-eng.html

There were temporary light signs on 405/I190 just before the Queenston Lewiston bridge stating this before the crossing today (Oct 17, 2018)

yyznomad Oct 18, 2018 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 30329644)
There were temporary light signs on 405/I190 just before the Queenston Lewiston bridge stating this before the crossing today (Oct 17, 2018)

There have been (non-light) signs at Canadian airports as well.

ricktoronto Nov 3, 2018 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 30328042)
What would the result be if an American from a pot-legal state arrived at the Canadian border with cannabis? What about a returning Canadian coming from a pot-legal U.S. state that borders directly on Canada? Would it be the same as arriving with a quart of vodka?

They are charged with importation of cannabis across an international border. Plus once they iron out the distribution network which varies from adequate to terrible it makes more sense to buy some after arrival and not have any going back. The US would be far tougher I think than Canada because it's still illegal federally.

emma69 Nov 5, 2018 11:07 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30329820)
There have been (non-light) signs at Canadian airports as well.

It also asked whether you had it on the electronic screens where you complete your customs declarations.

tentseller Nov 12, 2018 3:38 am

Just a data point:

A friend and I flew to ICN, S Korea for business from HKG. We used our Canadian passport to enter.

We were sent to secondary with a full check of all our bags, we ask as this was a first for use travelling to S Korea on business using Canadian passport over 20 years. They reply from the supervisor was that they have been given a directive to check all inbound Canadians. I am pretty close to retirement but my friend was in his 30s and looked much younger.

B1 Nov 25, 2018 7:15 am

At the Niagara crossing into the US a couple of weeks ago, US was opening every trunk/hatch and taking a look. Traffic backups, even at NEXUS, were significant. They did not ask about cannabis or explain why there were looking.