Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal Visit Questions

Montreal Visit Questions

Old Oct 10, 18, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Silver
Montreal Visit Questions

We are looking at visiting YUL for a long weekend in November (arrive late Wednesday, leave early Sunday). I have a few questions:
1. Will I need a rental car to get around to see the sights etc?
2. Is there enough to fill 3 full day with a 2 year old?
3. What would be the best activities to do with a 2 year old?
Old Oct 11, 18, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by salisboss View Post
We are looking at visiting YUL for a long weekend in November (arrive late Wednesday, leave early Sunday). I have a few questions:
1. Will I need a rental car to get around to see the sights etc?
2. Is there enough to fill 3 full day with a 2 year old?
3. What would be the best activities to do with a 2 year old?
1. If you're looking to see the main tourist attractions in the downtown area including Mount Royal, then no - Montreal's public transit, for the most part, is just fine. Most people there speak English fluently (just sometimes the accent might need adjusting to).
2. I'm not sure what you mean by this question, but if you mean if there is enough to do there to preoccupy a 2-year-old... maybe?
3. I'll defer this to those who are in the know.

I go to YUL 20-30 times a year... sometimes I rent a car, and sometimes I take public transportation. I prefer public transportation there. Driving is a PITA and traffic is crap and road construction is everywhere.
Old Oct 11, 18, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
1. If you're looking to see the main tourist attractions in the downtown area including Mount Royal, then no - Montreal's public transit, for the most part, is just fine. Most people there speak English fluently (just sometimes the accent might need adjusting to).
2. I'm not sure what you mean by this question, but if you mean if there is enough to do there to preoccupy a 2-year-old... maybe?
3. I'll defer this to those who are in the know.

I go to YUL 20-30 times a year... sometimes I rent a car, and sometimes I take public transportation. I prefer public transportation there. Driving is a PITA and traffic is crap and road construction is everywhere.
Question 2 was more of just being able to fill 3 full days without getting bored regardless of having the kiddo with us.

My wife and I actually learned French a few years back for a trip so we are going to brush up although I have been told that people would understand our 'Parisian' French but we may have difficulty with the Quebecois accent.
Old Oct 11, 18, 10:31 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
If you are staying downtown you don't need a car rental
Taxi, Uber, Bus etc
If you want a car rental because of your stroller/car seat etc etc then by all means you can. Just know parking is difficult in many areas and traffic is problematic
plus the fees to park the car overnight at your hotel are high
Old Oct 11, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Hmm... maybe the timing of your visit with a 2 year old isn't ideal. November can be pretty bleak and cold.

Of course, Montréal is a great museum, food and nightlife city, but the kiddo will not be into that. And what the kiddo likes (strolls in the old port, paddleboating on Beaver Lake, public playgrounds with splash zones, street performers etc.) is limited to summer months.

At the same time, there likely won't be snow yet for tubing or tobogganing.

Any chance you can reschedule?

Either way, within the downtown area a car is much more of a hassle than an advantage. Public transit and Uber are the way to go.
Old Oct 12, 18, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli View Post
Hmm... maybe the timing of your visit with a 2 year old isn't ideal. November can be pretty bleak and cold.

Of course, Montréal is a great museum, food and nightlife city, but the kiddo will not be into that. And what the kiddo likes (strolls in the old port, paddleboating on Beaver Lake, public playgrounds with splash zones, street performers etc.) is limited to summer months.

At the same time, there likely won't be snow yet for tubing or tobogganing.

Any chance you can reschedule?

Either way, within the downtown area a car is much more of a hassle than an advantage. Public transit and Uber are the way to go.
I will discuss with my wife.
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
I'm a grown man and left the city for a whole day when I first arrived. There for a second day and kind of got bored. Do remember that it might be "cold" when you are there in November.
Old Nov 2, 18, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by skyccord View Post
I'm a grown man and left the city for a whole day when I first arrived. There for a second day and kind of got bored. Do remember that it might be "cold" when you are there in November.
Yeah the weather is near 32C/0C with variants of ice pellets or cold rain for long stretches. I was there last weekend and it was pretty much that. Despite my evolved boredom with the city, it still has a charm about it, IMHO.
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:16 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post

Yeah the weather is near 32C/0C with variants of ice pellets or cold rain for long stretches. I was there last weekend and it was pretty much that. Despite my evolved boredom with the city, it still has a charm about it, IMHO.
I agree Montreal's charm is better than Toronto but nowhere near Vancouver in my rankings.

Last edited by skyccord; Nov 4, 18 at 3:27 pm Reason: mistype
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skyccord View Post
I agree there is charm better than Toronto but nowhere near Vancouver in my rankings.
Lol. Sure. I wasn't about to compare all other Canadian cities vs. Montreal, as the topic is Montreal.
skyccord likes this.

Search this Thread