Renting car in Canada and Port Roberts

Old Sep 26, 18, 4:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

I'm assuming a driver's license from the US is enough to rent a car in Canada, yes?

Can that car be driven into the US and back? Considering a day trip down to Seattle or heading over to Point Roberts as a 'been to this odd place' option.
Old Sep 26, 18, 5:19 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
I'm assuming a driver's license from the US is enough to rent a car in Canada, yes?

Can that car be driven into the US and back? Considering a day trip down to Seattle or heading over to Point Roberts as a 'been to this odd place' option.
You won't have a problem with a US drivers licence, as long as you also have a major credit card and are over 25.

You'll have to check with the rental companies about taking it to the States and back. You may find that it is fine with some companies but not with others. Definitely look in to it before booking a car. Don't just assume that it will be okay.
Old Sep 26, 18, 7:43 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
We asked Avis about this a couple of years ago (other side of the country but going Canada to US and back) and they said itís fine.

Definitely check though, some companies donít even like you taking cars from Ontario into Quebec.
Old Sep 26, 18, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post

My experience has been that they need to pre-approve a drop-off in the USA if renting in Canada but taking a car across the border and back? Never heard of a concern.
Old Sep 26, 18, 10:48 am

Programs: none
But you always want to check, rental companies sometimes have pretty bizarre conditions. I had to get special permission to take a car that I rented in Brussels on the Texel ferry in the Netherlands.
Old Sep 26, 18, 8:49 pm

Most of the majors in Canada do allow the car to be driven in the US. The exception is Enterprise, the standard agreement only allows you to drive the vehicle within the province and you have to ask for permission to take it outside the province.
Old Sep 30, 18, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by B407 View Post
Most of the majors in Canada do allow the car to be driven in the US. The exception is Enterprise, the standard agreement only allows you to drive the vehicle within the province and you have to ask for permission to take it outside the province.
I hire from enterprise Canada often and I have never had this issue when taking the car to other provinces and the US. Itís also clearly stated on their website.

https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/f...nd-canada.html

Rentals Originating in Canada:
  • Vehicles rented in Canada can be driven throughout Canada and the US.
  • Vehicles cannot be driven into Mexico.
Old Sep 30, 18, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by aidy View Post

I hire from enterprise Canada often and I have never had this issue when taking the car to other provinces and the US. Itís also clearly stated on their website.

https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/f...nd-canada.html

What they put on their website is technically true but is not what actually happens in my experience. By default the rental contract will say you can only drive it within the province where you picked up the vehicle. If you ask to take it outside the province, they will amend the contract. This is unlike the other majors I have used in Canada which give you full reign to use it within Canada and the US automatically.

Search this Thread