Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

westjet-yyc disaster continues

Old Sep 18, 18, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Calgary has gone from being the most passenger friendly airport in Canada to the worst-BAR NONE.
And the passenger experience with Westjet has took a tumble because of it being it's hub of operations.
Fly in from a regional airport and Calgary dumps you on the tarmac-roaring wind, blowing snow, torrential rain /hail or just plain prairie cold and you get a great big mouthful of western hospitality---NOT!
Then if you are flying west jet-get dumped into a WWII era prisoner of war camp converted to airport terminal--no maps, no flight screens, no services--just a mile of cramped tight hallway with a stairwell at the end that leads to who knows what.

Be greeted at the top by more hallways eventually leading to a mall with the moving sidewalks out of commission---probably since they were installed in the dark ages!

No airport "you are here maps", just stumble around trying to find a food court, flight board or anything---good luck!

Vancouver used to win "worst airport" hands down but after killing the Polish passenger they have cleaned up their act--but Calgary must have hired their manager of passenger relations.

I am part of the baby boomer generation just recently retired and keen on spending these "gold years" travelling. Minor limitations to my mobility make long walks carrying my jacket and carry-on difficult. What should be enjoyable becomes an exercise in frustration.

The air Canada terminal is better as a fly through but both terminals are miles of poorly designed "senior barriers for flights out of Calgary.

Luckily, From Parksville it is a reasonable drive to Seattle and from Saskatchewan/Alberta the Montana airports are handy-----and neither have yet installed passenger torture devices like Calgary!

Westjet--prove you are still on the passenger's side---make Calgary shape up.

Or maybe you might consider a different airport for home base.
Old Sep 18, 18, 6:17 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Westjet is a tenant of the airport, perhaps you should send your complaints to YYC airport, since they are the ones that manage the facility and are responsible for building maintenance, accessibility and airport signage, not Westjet or Air Canada.
Old Sep 18, 18, 8:52 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by parksville senior View Post
Calgary has gone from being the most passenger friendly airport in Canada to the worst-BAR NONE.
And the passenger experience with Westjet has took a tumble because of it being it's hub of operations.
Fly in from a regional airport and Calgary dumps you on the tarmac-roaring wind, blowing snow, torrential rain /hail or just plain prairie cold and you get a great big mouthful of western hospitality---NOT!
Then if you are flying west jet-get dumped into a WWII era prisoner of war camp converted to airport terminal--no maps, no flight screens, no services--just a mile of cramped tight hallway with a stairwell at the end that leads to who knows what.

Be greeted at the top by more hallways eventually leading to a mall with the moving sidewalks out of commission---probably since they were installed in the dark ages!

No airport "you are here maps", just stumble around trying to find a food court, flight board or anything---good luck!

Vancouver used to win "worst airport" hands down but after killing the Polish passenger they have cleaned up their act--but Calgary must have hired their manager of passenger relations.

I am part of the baby boomer generation just recently retired and keen on spending these "gold years" travelling. Minor limitations to my mobility make long walks carrying my jacket and carry-on difficult. What should be enjoyable becomes an exercise in frustration.

The air Canada terminal is better as a fly through but both terminals are miles of poorly designed "senior barriers for flights out of Calgary.

Luckily, From Parksville it is a reasonable drive to Seattle and from Saskatchewan/Alberta the Montana airports are handy-----and neither have yet installed passenger torture devices like Calgary!

Westjet--prove you are still on the passenger's side---make Calgary shape up.

Or maybe you might consider a different airport for home base.
This should be posted to [email protected]
Old Sep 19, 18, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
The 40 year old domestic terminal is now undergoing a multi-billion dollar renovation......and Westjet has had to move their operations around because of it.

As to the weather.......well.......what can I say except do you get off the island much ?
Old Sep 24, 18, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
driving to SEA?

The use of the word "disaster" is unfortunate. On 09/21 the Ottawa Region experienced a natural disaster i.e. I know what a disaster looks like.
I emphatically disagree this is responsibility of the airport authority. They do not staff the gates, the tarmac, etc. for guiding passengers to the terminal. That is WS' responsiblity.
I am intrigued by the idea that it is easier to fly out of SEA than Nanaimo? I agree its a lot cheaper - but - IMO its a long drive to Sea Tac? Care to elaborate?
Old Oct 11, 18, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Yeah, the new/updated YYC is a joke.
Love them Anamaniacs cartoon buggies on the fake cartoon roads. Meep meep!
Old Oct 12, 18, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
I must admit I chuckled at this post. Yes, YYC has become pretty bad, but surely it is worth enduring its inconveniences rather than driving all the way down to GTF, where you can't fly anywhere and the fares aren't even cheap? (Especially in winter...) I understand Canadians using the likes of BLI, SEA, BUF, PBG, and BTV, but GTF is not really convenient unless you live south of YQL...
Old Oct 13, 18, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Santander View Post
I must admit I chuckled at this post. Yes, YYC has become pretty bad, but surely it is worth enduring its inconveniences rather than driving all the way down to GTF, where you can't fly anywhere and the fares aren't even cheap? (Especially in winter...) I understand Canadians using the likes of BLI, SEA, BUF, PBG, and BTV, but GTF is not really convenient unless you live south of YQL...
I do enjoy riding on the cartoon buggies... and I especially jaywalking across the painted cartoon road!

Search this Thread