Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto to SFO airport check in time with Global Entry

Toronto to SFO airport check in time with Global Entry

Old Sep 1, 18, 10:13 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Posts: 801
Toronto to SFO airport check in time with Global Entry

I am flying from Toronto to SFO tmw on Air Canada Business class. I have global entry and luggage to check. Is 2 hours in advance suffient for an 8:00 am flight Sunday morning of a 3 day weekend in both countries? When I checked in online 2 hours was the suggestion.
Larkin is offline  
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,118
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
I am flying from Toronto to SFO tmw on Air Canada Business class. I have global entry and luggage to check. Is 2 hours in advance suffient for an 8:00 am flight Sunday morning of a 3 day weekend in both countries? When I checked in online 2 hours was the suggestion.
2 hours is good.

FYI: Thunderstorms are in the forecast from 8AM+
imverge is offline  
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:28 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Posts: 801
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
2 hours is good.

FYI: Thunderstorms are in the forecast from 8AM+
Do thunderstorms here mean flight likely delayed? Thank you for the feedback!😎
Larkin is offline  
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:41 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,808
As this is a Toronto airport, customs & security question rather than an Air Canada specific question it's been relocated to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
tcook052 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,118
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post

Do thunderstorms here mean flight likely delayed? Thank you for the feedback!😎
Depending on the severity, Pearson has in the past issued 'ground stop" due to thunderstorms.
imverge is offline  
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:44 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: I dunno
Programs: Too Many
Posts: 1,952
Here is what the Toronto Airport is saying about US Preclearance departures.
https://www.torontopearson.com/Departing_to_usa.aspx#

And with Global Entry that just gets you to the front of the CBP queue - while most travelers face no delay at Primary Inspection, US Congress passed law many years that requires a 1% Random more intensive inspection under what is known as the COBRA law.

It is interesting that airline says one thing, and airport says another.

I know the VP Ops at Pearson, but as weekend cannot reach out to get an answer for you.
skybluesea is offline  
Old Sep 1, 18, 8:05 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Posts: 801
Originally Posted by skybluesea View Post
Here is what the Toronto Airport is saying about US Preclearance departures.
https://www.torontopearson.com/Departing_to_usa.aspx#

And with Global Entry that just gets you to the front of the CBP queue - while most travelers face no delay at Primary Inspection, US Congress passed law many years that requires a 1% Random more intensive inspection under what is known as the COBRA law.

It is interesting that airline says one thing, and airport says another.

I know the VP Ops at Pearson, but as weekend cannot reach out to get an answer for you.
thank you for your reply. We will get there a bit earlier just in case. But yes Air Canada said with business class and Global Entry 2 hours was sufficient. We will go for more given what the airport says. Thank you!
Larkin is offline  
Old Sep 1, 18, 11:45 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: I dunno
Programs: Too Many
Posts: 1,952
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post

thank you for your reply. We will get there a bit earlier just in case. But yes Air Canada said with business class and Global Entry 2 hours was sufficient. We will go for more given what the airport says. Thank you!
@Larkin
please let us know your experience...always useful for the rest of us.

have a great trip....
skybluesea is offline  
Old Sep 2, 18, 10:25 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Posts: 801
Originally Posted by skybluesea View Post
@Larkin
please let us know your experience...always useful for the rest of us.

have a great trip....
Thanks to everyone for your input. We arrived at the airport around 5:45am - a little more than 2 hours in advance. My husband and I both have Global Entry and are flying business class. We checked luggage, were given access to a Global Entry ( and NEXUS)security line which was not at all crowded, and then were put in a Global Entry/ Nexus line for immigration which was practically empty. it was easy and fast but I think in large part to it being the Sunday morning of a 3 day weekend in both Canada and the US. I did ask one of the security agents if it is always this fast and he said no, but he did say with Global Entry or Nexus 2 hours in advance was adequate even on busy days. He said without those it is best to allow 3 hours.
The good news is we were through the processes and in the lounge in less than 30 minutes. The bad news is our 8:00am flight to SFO has been delayed 3 times and is now not scheduled to leave until 13:00! We will see if it goes then. If not I suppose they will put us on the next flight scheduled to leave at 13:10....wondering if it is a consolidation deal which happens with US airlines more than I would like. Thinking about those extra hours of sleep with a 5 hour delay.... Anyway, I hope this is helpful.
Larkin is offline  
Old Sep 3, 18, 12:36 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: I dunno
Programs: Too Many
Posts: 1,952
sorry to hear about your delay...hope you had a good flight

interesting, so AC advice is NOT accurate and Pearson airport info is correct.
skybluesea is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 2:22 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: somewhere between Europe and Africa, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Posts: 7,677
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
The bad news is our 8:00am flight to SFO has been delayed 3 times and is now not scheduled to leave until 13:00! We will see if it goes then. If not I suppose they will put us on the next flight scheduled to leave at 13:10....wondering if it is a consolidation deal which happens with US airlines more than I would like. Thinking about those extra hours of sleep with a 5 hour delay.... Anyway, I hope this is helpful.

I was supposed to fly the return of this flight. Got up at 7AM in SF to see all the delay notifications. Apparently it was due to MX/aircraft swap. Ended up rebooking myself for the next day.
Palal is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 8:10 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Posts: 801
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
I was supposed to fly the return of this flight. Got up at 7AM in SF to see all the delay notifications. Apparently it was due to MX/aircraft swap. Ended up rebooking myself for the next day.
we actually ended up leaving at 15:00 - 7 hour delay. I think the longest I've ever experienced other than a cancellation that required rebooking the next day! Anyway, crew was really great, service was great and we arrived home safely. Hope you make it safely!
Larkin is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 11:35 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: somewhere between Europe and Africa, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Posts: 7,677
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post

we actually ended up leaving at 15:00 - 7 hour delay. I think the longest I've ever experienced other than a cancellation that required rebooking the next day! Anyway, crew was really great, service was great and we arrived home safely. Hope you make it safely!
Yes, I did see that the flight eventually made it. The return made it back to YYZ at 02:30 instead of the promised 20:00. The flight next day was uneventful. Got to see AC Y+ on a 789, which was quite nice.
Palal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread