Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto to SFO airport check in time with Global Entry

Old Sep 1, 18, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,

I am flying from Toronto to SFO tmw on Air Canada Business class. I have global entry and luggage to check. Is 2 hours in advance suffient for an 8:00 am flight Sunday morning of a 3 day weekend in both countries? When I checked in online 2 hours was the suggestion.
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
I am flying from Toronto to SFO tmw on Air Canada Business class. I have global entry and luggage to check. Is 2 hours in advance suffient for an 8:00 am flight Sunday morning of a 3 day weekend in both countries? When I checked in online 2 hours was the suggestion.
2 hours is good.

FYI: Thunderstorms are in the forecast from 8AM+
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imverge View Post
2 hours is good.

FYI: Thunderstorms are in the forecast from 8AM+
Do thunderstorms here mean flight likely delayed? Thank you for the feedback!😎
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

As this is a Toronto airport, customs & security question rather than an Air Canada specific question it's been relocated to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:42 am

Do thunderstorms here mean flight likely delayed? Thank you for the feedback!😎
Depending on the severity, Pearson has in the past issued 'ground stop" due to thunderstorms.
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:44 am

Programs: Too Many
Here is what the Toronto Airport is saying about US Preclearance departures.
https://www.torontopearson.com/Departing_to_usa.aspx#

And with Global Entry that just gets you to the front of the CBP queue - while most travelers face no delay at Primary Inspection, US Congress passed law many years that requires a 1% Random more intensive inspection under what is known as the COBRA law.

It is interesting that airline says one thing, and airport says another.

I know the VP Ops at Pearson, but as weekend cannot reach out to get an answer for you.
Old Sep 1, 18, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skybluesea View Post
Here is what the Toronto Airport is saying about US Preclearance departures.
https://www.torontopearson.com/Departing_to_usa.aspx#

And with Global Entry that just gets you to the front of the CBP queue - while most travelers face no delay at Primary Inspection, US Congress passed law many years that requires a 1% Random more intensive inspection under what is known as the COBRA law.

It is interesting that airline says one thing, and airport says another.

I know the VP Ops at Pearson, but as weekend cannot reach out to get an answer for you.
thank you for your reply. We will get there a bit earlier just in case. But yes Air Canada said with business class and Global Entry 2 hours was sufficient. We will go for more given what the airport says. Thank you!
Old Sep 1, 18, 11:45 pm

thank you for your reply. We will get there a bit earlier just in case. But yes Air Canada said with business class and Global Entry 2 hours was sufficient. We will go for more given what the airport says. Thank you!
@Larkin
please let us know your experience...always useful for the rest of us.

have a great trip....
Old Sep 2, 18, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skybluesea View Post
@Larkin
please let us know your experience...always useful for the rest of us.

have a great trip....
Thanks to everyone for your input. We arrived at the airport around 5:45am - a little more than 2 hours in advance. My husband and I both have Global Entry and are flying business class. We checked luggage, were given access to a Global Entry ( and NEXUS)security line which was not at all crowded, and then were put in a Global Entry/ Nexus line for immigration which was practically empty. it was easy and fast but I think in large part to it being the Sunday morning of a 3 day weekend in both Canada and the US. I did ask one of the security agents if it is always this fast and he said no, but he did say with Global Entry or Nexus 2 hours in advance was adequate even on busy days. He said without those it is best to allow 3 hours.
The good news is we were through the processes and in the lounge in less than 30 minutes. The bad news is our 8:00am flight to SFO has been delayed 3 times and is now not scheduled to leave until 13:00! We will see if it goes then. If not I suppose they will put us on the next flight scheduled to leave at 13:10....wondering if it is a consolidation deal which happens with US airlines more than I would like. Thinking about those extra hours of sleep with a 5 hour delay.... Anyway, I hope this is helpful.
Old Sep 3, 18, 12:36 am

sorry to hear about your delay...hope you had a good flight

interesting, so AC advice is NOT accurate and Pearson airport info is correct.
Old Sep 4, 18, 2:22 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
The bad news is our 8:00am flight to SFO has been delayed 3 times and is now not scheduled to leave until 13:00! We will see if it goes then. If not I suppose they will put us on the next flight scheduled to leave at 13:10....wondering if it is a consolidation deal which happens with US airlines more than I would like. Thinking about those extra hours of sleep with a 5 hour delay.... Anyway, I hope this is helpful.

I was supposed to fly the return of this flight. Got up at 7AM in SF to see all the delay notifications. Apparently it was due to MX/aircraft swap. Ended up rebooking myself for the next day.
Old Sep 4, 18, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
I was supposed to fly the return of this flight. Got up at 7AM in SF to see all the delay notifications. Apparently it was due to MX/aircraft swap. Ended up rebooking myself for the next day.
we actually ended up leaving at 15:00 - 7 hour delay. I think the longest I've ever experienced other than a cancellation that required rebooking the next day! Anyway, crew was really great, service was great and we arrived home safely. Hope you make it safely!
Old Sep 5, 18, 11:35 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver

we actually ended up leaving at 15:00 - 7 hour delay. I think the longest I've ever experienced other than a cancellation that required rebooking the next day! Anyway, crew was really great, service was great and we arrived home safely. Hope you make it safely!
Yes, I did see that the flight eventually made it. The return made it back to YYZ at 02:30 instead of the promised 20:00. The flight next day was uneventful. Got to see AC Y+ on a 789, which was quite nice.

Search this Thread