YYC Immigration

Old Aug 10, 18, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

YYC Immigration

Earlier this year, I flew SFO-YYC-YVR-.... The first leg was operated by UA, the second one by AC(x). Because the carriers were different, I had to claim my suitcase in YYC and recheck it.

Later this month, I'll be flying from Japan via SFO to YYC with UA, again connecting to AC. Will I still get to claim my suitcase in YYC and recheck it? Or has this changed?

This time, I would actually like to have access to my suitcase.
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:23 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
I'll be flying from Japan via SFO to YYC with UA, again connecting to AC. Will I still get to claim my suitcase in YYC and recheck it?
If you are flying NRT-(UA)-SFO-(AC)-YYC, why would you re-check in YYC? Something is not right.
Old Aug 11, 18, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Because I'm connecting in YYC from UA to AC.
Old Aug 11, 18, 6:04 pm

United doesn't fly NRT-YYC..... are you sure it's not a codeshare? What is your exact routing?
Old Aug 12, 18, 1:29 am

Earlier this year, I flew SFO-YYC-YVR-.... The first leg was operated by UA, the second one by AC(x). Because the carriers were different, I had to claim my suitcase in YYC and recheck it.
Both AC and UA are members of the same alliance which have interlining agreements that cover baggage transfers, so it shouldn't have been a problem to have bags checked through. I believe your bags needed to be re-checked because you arrived at your first port of entry to Canada which was YYC.

Later this month, I'll be flying from Japan via SFO to YYC with UA, again connecting to AC. Will I still get to claim my suitcase in YYC and recheck it? Or has this changed?

Assuming your final destination is YVR or YYJ, I believe you have to do the same thing on your next flight.
Old Aug 13, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Because I'm connecting in YYC from UA to AC.
UA does not fly NRT-YYC. Something is wrong with this narrative.
Old Aug 14, 18, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
I believe the OP is connecting in SFO and then again in YYC.
Old Aug 14, 18, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
After reading this five times and looking at OP's home airport in OP's profile I am guessing that OP is flying UA NRT-SFO-YYC and connecting (possibly on separate ticket) to YYC-YYJ on AC.

If that is the case, everyone with checked luggage will have to pick it up to take it through customs and then have a choice of what to do with it. If already tagged, simply put on the belt after getting whatever is needed, or possibly recheck at checkin counter, or even leave in Calgary if that's what OP wants to do.
sokolov likes this.
Old Aug 18, 18, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
After reading this five times and looking at OP's home airport in OP's profile I am guessing that OP is flying UA NRT-SFO-YYC and connecting (possibly on separate ticket) to YYC-YYJ on AC.
As I said "Japan via SFO to YYC with UA, again connecting to AC". Like the mentioned earlier trip, I will connect from in YYC from UA to AC. I should have mentioned that it is all on one ticket.

If that is the case, everyone with checked luggage will have to pick it up to take it through customs and then have a choice of what to do with it. If already tagged, simply put on the belt after getting whatever is needed, or possibly recheck at checkin counter, or even leave in Calgary if that's what OP wants to do.
Thank you very much, that is what I wanted to know. :-)
Old Sep 8, 18, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Indeed I had to pick up the luggage and recheck it, both in SFO and in YYC.

Search this Thread