FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   YQB - YYZ - AUS Connection; customs question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1921949-yqb-yyz-aus-connection-customs-question.html)

mdavies Jul 26, 18 12:53 pm

YQB - YYZ - AUS Connection; customs question
 
When traveling from YQB to the US (AUS in particular) via YYZ, where do you clear customs, immigration and security? I assume security in YQB and then security, customs and immigration in YYZ, but I need to verify.

Thanks!

SparseFlyer Jul 26, 18 12:55 pm

You assume correctly.

24left Jul 26, 18 12:58 pm

Perhaps useful for anyone else driving by this thread. I selected a cnx similar to OP and on AC.

https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f6dc662fbf.png
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...331330a209.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...485c0fd388.png

tcook052 Jul 26, 18 1:04 pm

As this is a non-Air Canada or Aeroplan question it's been relocated to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator

JimInOhio Jul 26, 18 1:18 pm


Originally Posted by 24left (Post 30016038)

This was NOT the procedure when I did the drill recently.

Step 3 -- Go through security screening
Step 4 -- Scan boarding pass and wait for baggage clearance notification on screen
Step 5 -- Proceed to US CBP

24left Jul 26, 18 1:27 pm


Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 30016094)
This was NOT the procedure when I did the drill recently.

Step 3 -- Go through security screening
Step 4 -- Scan boarding pass and wait for baggage clearance notification on screen
Step 5 -- Proceed to US CBP

Then perhaps worth sending a message to YYZ GTAA and let them know you had a better route.

JimInOhio Jul 26, 18 2:01 pm


Originally Posted by 24left (Post 30016137)
Then perhaps worth sending a message to YYZ GTAA and let them know you had a better route.

The YYZ admins can simply look at the Air Canada website if they want... which is correct:
_______

You do not need to claim your checked baggage
  1. Walk toward gate D20 and follow purple signage for Connections and F Gates:
    -Take escalator up one level
  2. Have boarding pass ready for inspection and turn left towards moving walkway
  3. Clear security
  4. Enter the U.S. Connection Hall:
    -Use Automated Passport Control (APC) or Global Entry (GE) kiosks as applicable
    -Scan boarding pass and proceed as directed
    -Clear U.S. Customs
  5. Follow signage for F Gates and proceed to your departure gate

mdavies Jul 26, 18 2:03 pm


Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 30016048)
As this is a non-Air Canada or Aeroplan question it's been relocated to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator

I'm flying on Air Canada, and that was specifically why I asked the question where I did - I called Air Canada and the rep (in Montreal) did not know the answer - she thought I would clear customs and immigration in AUS, which I knew for a fact was wrong. Should I change my post to say "on Air Canada", because what I care about is how it is done on Air Canada, not any other airline?

EmailKid Jul 26, 18 3:41 pm


Originally Posted by mdavies (Post 30016284)
I'm flying on Air Canada, and that was specifically why I asked the question where I did - I called Air Canada and the rep (in Montreal) did not know the answer - she thought I would clear customs and immigration in AUS, which I knew for a fact was wrong. Should I change my post to say "on Air Canada", because what I care about is how it is done on Air Canada, not any other airline?

Not really, it's going to be same for all airlines (OK, AC and WJ, but for WJ it would be a generic city in US as I'm pretty sure they don't fly YYZ-AUS).

At any rate, you can change the text in Title of your first post, but it takes a Moderator to change Thread Title. You can do this by sending RBP via the Red Triangle on bottom left of the post.

mdavies Jul 27, 18 12:06 am


Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 30016276)
The YYZ admins can simply look at the Air Canada website if they want... which is correct:
_______

You do not need to claim your checked baggage
  1. Walk toward gate D20 and follow purple signage for Connections and F Gates:
    -Take escalator up one level
  2. Have boarding pass ready for inspection and turn left towards moving walkway
  3. Clear security
  4. Enter the U.S. Connection Hall:
    -Use Automated Passport Control (APC) or Global Entry (GE) kiosks as applicable
    -Scan boarding pass and proceed as directed
    -Clear U.S. Customs
  5. Follow signage for F Gates and proceed to your departure gate

So does this go out to normal security, or does it bypass that?

My in-laws live in Toronto, and we are thinking of leaving my son there while we go to Quebec. I've already purchased the flights to return to AUS from YQB, and will have to change his flight. We have a 1.5 hour connection in YYZ and I'm trying to figure out if we will go outside, where we can meet him, and then continue through security and immigration or if that will not be feasible?

mdavies Jul 27, 18 12:09 am


Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 30016580)
Not really, it's going to be same for all airlines (OK, AC and WJ, but for WJ it would be a generic city in US as I'm pretty sure they don't fly YYZ-AUS).

At any rate, you can change the text in Title of your first post, but it takes a Moderator to change Thread Title. You can do this by sending RBP via the Red Triangle on bottom left of the post.

No, it's not, because WJ is in a different terminal. I'm looking for very specific terminal information.

JimInOhio Jul 27, 18 8:23 am


Originally Posted by mdavies (Post 30017713)
So does this go out to normal security, or does it bypass that?

My in-laws live in Toronto, and we are thinking of leaving my son there while we go to Quebec. I've already purchased the flights to return to AUS from YQB, and will have to change his flight. We have a 1.5 hour connection in YYZ and I'm trying to figure out if we will go outside, where we can meet him, and then continue through security and immigration or if that will not be feasible?

It's probably best for a Toronto T1 expert to weigh in on this one. I don't live there, only fly through there. That said....

The connecting passenger security area is separate from main security but I believe it's really there as a convenience for passengers connecting from other Canada airports (such as yourself) and internationally to get to the USA. You can decide not to head that way and instead simply exit the secure area just like anyone else flying from Quebec to just Toronto. Then you can meet your son in the check-in area or wherever.

Where it gets slightly more complicated is with baggage. Between the connections security station and US CBP, there's a waiting room where they display the flights being processed and each passenger's truncated name to indicate their bags have been transferred to US Customs for screening (or maybe that they've already been screened). You wait for your name to appear and then you head straight to US CBP and then straight to your gate. I suppose there's a one in a hundred or thousand chance your bags don't get screened at which point I suppose you could be separated from your bags. I doubt that's a problem unless they also want to do a secondary check. That's multiplying two rare possibilities to get a result that's even more extraordinarily rare (and not worth thinking about, IMHO). Of course if you don't check any bags, none of this applies anyway.

I hope this is of some use to you. As I said, maybe a real expert will chime in with better info or insight.

mdavies Jul 27, 18 11:00 am

I'm hoping to have a T1 expert weigh-in, but unfortunately my post got moved from the forum where the T1 experts are to "Destinations - Canada"...:(

Ocn Vw 1K Jul 27, 18 4:36 pm

As the OP has recently posted a thread in the Air Canada forum here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...qb-aus-ac.html
and has focused in this new thread on the adequacy of connection time in YYZ, we'll keep that new thread open in the Air Canada forum and invite discussion to continue in that forum's thread. This thread in the Canada (travel) forum will remain accessible to read, but will be closed to new posting. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:17 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.