Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need to get from YQB to YYC... It's always $400ish per person... Anything I'm missing

Need to get from YQB to YYC... It's always $400ish per person... Anything I'm missing

Old Jul 22, 18, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

Hey All,

Any advice here / what am I missing? I'm looking to plan a family trip where we spend five days in Quebec City and five days in Calgary (skiing). There are 3 of us who need tickets and YQB->YYC is always like $400 in economy, and also, i can't find any award tix ever! I try searching for Westjet on Delta.com, I try searching AC awards on UA / SQ sites... nada. Nothing in business, nothing in economy. Any recommendations here? I'd prefer to not spend $1200 to send three of us on a 1-stop domestic economy hop, buuuut if that's my only option, then maybe I need to. Looks like the train to Montreal from Quebec City takes a bit of time, and that isn't cheap / fast either. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old Jul 23, 18, 8:59 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
YQB YYC is about 3000km, short of a great deal
$400 is about the best youíll get crossing the continent. The shame is youíll get a much better price doing the same in the US but with the CDN vs USD and the driving to get south of the border first likely a losing battle. You can try google flights, changing days to fly mid week, hopper or other apps to monitor it but we have a lack of options here in Canada at present and the airlines basically price fix.

Assuming you mean award as in Aeroplan, these seats (at least standard seats without significant airline status) on those routes .. should be able to get seats in Economy. I found dates in a couple of months including December. Sure your going to have to change likely YUL and will pay $100 in taxes per seat but if you want a specific date and time for 3 people you may have to book way out or book 1-2 seats for
$ and take what AP has available.

But AP does have 12500 seats available YQB YUL YYC. You could also consider YUL, YOW even YYZ etc and get lucky but then as you say there are some train rides involved. Trains arenít that bad, nor that cheap for the longer rides although booking ahead a few weeks and a specific time yields the best prices.

Need to know exact dates to know more. And check
a few times, AP has an horrific website.
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
take VIA 1st class from Montreal to Quebec City

As jc94 suggests, the biggest issue here is that CA airfares are higher, on average, than US fares. Originating in SFO could overcome this - but - hungarianhc needs to be more clear on where they are originating? Also, YQB is not exactly a major airport! With 5 days, you have time to take VIA Rail - which is delightful in 1st class. A meal plus an open bar! As for tips, I recommend flying into YUL. There is a free shuttle to the VIA train station @ Dorval. Cheapest and fastest way to the CBD. In Quebec City, I recommend staying at the Chateau Frontenac. Easy drive from there to Mount St. Anne a k a the best skiing in eastern North America!
Old Jul 25, 18, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions / feedback! Great perspective.

In terms of the date I'm looking at, it's January 5, 2019, and I don't really have any flexibility on that. I may just set up an alert and check daily and hope for the best. I don't think fares will skyrocket as it gets closer.

It looks like I'm okay, in terms of availability, getting TO YQB. So that's fine... I'ts just the YQB->YYC portion that is annoying me. I'd be willing to take the train to YUL first, but we will have one bag of skiis as well as a 3 year old and 1 year old with us... It might be easier to just go to the airport, rather than train, transfer to airport, fly to YYC.
Old Jul 25, 18, 6:40 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
The date maybe your problem as this is close to the holidays. Seat sales are potentially going to exclude this date. Early dec is $304 OW. I donít think there will be a sufficient difference from YUL to justify a long train ride.
Old Jul 26, 18, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions / feedback! Great perspective.

In terms of the date I'm looking at, it's January 5, 2019, and I don't really have any flexibility on that. I may just set up an alert and check daily and hope for the best. I don't think fares will skyrocket as it gets closer.

It looks like I'm okay, in terms of availability, getting TO YQB. So that's fine... I'ts just the YQB->YYC portion that is annoying me. I'd be willing to take the train to YUL first, but we will have one bag of skiis as well as a 3 year old and 1 year old with us... It might be easier to just go to the airport, rather than train, transfer to airport, fly to YYC.
Yeah I think thatís a busy date.

Hopper lists it as $444 with prices expected to drop upto $155 before Sept. Not guaranteed of course but at the least Iíd get that or a similar app and consider leaving it a bit.

While your luggage will be transferred youíll likely end up connecting yourself in YUL or YYZ. I donít think thereís a direct YQB YYC. Something to consider with kids especially at a time of year when the weather can cause issues. Ensure you have travel insurance, or consider OMW
Old Jul 26, 18, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

So I ended up doing a pretty big pivot here.

I really wanted to spend a week in Quebec City, and we're still doing that. Now instead of skiing Kicking Horse afterwards, YQB-YYZ/YUL-YYC + 4 hour drive, we're just going YQB-EWR-MTJ, and we'll have a 90 minute shuttle to ski Crested Butte. We'll stay there in town, and then when we fly back home to California, we'll go out of Gunnison. For whatever reason, the YQB-EWR-MTJ flight was only $200! Seemed to good to pass up when we're dealing w/ 3 passengers.

The bad news is that I won't get a chance to ski the Canadian rockies this year... Maybe next year...
jc94 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 18, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
So I ended up doing a pretty big pivot here.

I really wanted to spend a week in Quebec City, and we're still doing that. Now instead of skiing Kicking Horse afterwards, YQB-YYZ/YUL-YYC + 4 hour drive, we're just going YQB-EWR-MTJ, and we'll have a 90 minute shuttle to ski Crested Butte. We'll stay there in town, and then when we fly back home to California, we'll go out of Gunnison. For whatever reason, the YQB-EWR-MTJ flight was only $200! Seemed to good to pass up when we're dealing w/ 3 passengers.

The bad news is that I won't get a chance to ski the Canadian rockies this year... Maybe next year...
Flights across the US are almost always cheaper due to more competition.

Search this Thread