FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Where to get best USD to CAD exchange rate in Nova Scotia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1919195-where-get-best-usd-cad-exchange-rate-nova-scotia.html)

Zipy Jul 10, 2018 10:06 am

Where to get best USD to CAD exchange rate in Nova Scotia

We are spending 2 weeks in Halifax, Nova Scotia this fall and was wondering where we can get the best USD to CAD exchange rate? I have a Costco Citi visa card that has no international fees, so we will use that as much as possible. I assume it would be a good idea to have a little Canadian cash on hand.

Hoyaheel Jul 10, 2018 10:25 am

I've always found the best exchange rates around the world just by using my ATM card....

Low Roller Jul 10, 2018 10:37 am

You won't need much cash since visa is pretty much universally accepted around here but it's probably a good idea to have a bit of cash on hand for things like tips, tolls and street food. If you're only getting a couple hundred dollars, I wouldn't worry too much about shopping around for the best exchange rate since you'll only save a couple of dollars in total.

Low Roller Jul 10, 2018 10:50 am

One more thing...you may want to bring along some US $1 bills for tipping bell boys, valets, etc. since the smallest bills in Canada are $5. Otherwise you'll either have to tip a $5 minimum or use $1 and $2 coins (which is kind of awkward).

Palal Jul 11, 2018 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller (Post 29958828)
One more thing...you may want to bring along some US $1 bills for tipping bell boys, valets, etc. since the smallest bills in Canada are $5. Otherwise you'll either have to tip a $5 minimum or use $1 and $2 coins (which is kind of awkward).

Why in the world would you use US$1 bills to tip in Canada? Now THAT is awkward! Nothing awkward about using Canadian coins to tip in Canada.

Low Roller Jul 11, 2018 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 29961397)
Why in the world would you use US$1 bills to tip in Canada? Now THAT is awkward! Nothing awkward about using Canadian coins to tip in Canada.

US bills are widely accepted here and people in the tourism sector are very used to this. The recipients will have no problem depositing US bills in Canadian bank accounts, unlike coins with can't be deposited at an ATM. I personally don't like tipping with coins in situations where I have to hand it to someone (I don't mind if I'm leaving it somewhere like a restaurant table or in the room for a hotel maid). Anyhow, it was just meant as a helpful suggestion, feel free to do whatever you are comfortable with.

dulciusexasperis Jul 13, 2018 8:30 am

The best exchange rate is given by cards. Credit cards for purchases/payments and a debit card for withdrawing cash from an ATM.

Re the tipping and $1 US bills, I'm trying to imagine what you would tip only $1 for? Nowadays that is probably the equivalent of the old 'leave a penny tip' as an insult. I can't imagine a 'valet or bell boy' (assuming you come across any in Halifax) thanking you for a $1 tip.

Low Roller Jul 13, 2018 11:04 am

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis (Post 29969654)
Re the tipping and $1 US bills, I'm trying to imagine what you would tip only $1 for? Nowadays that is probably the equivalent of the old 'leave a penny tip' as an insult. I can't imagine a 'valet or bell boy' (assuming you come across any in Halifax) thanking you for a $1 tip.

I never suggested tipping $1, but I don't always feel like tipping $5 every time I leave my car with valet parking or pick it up. I think $3 is probably appropriate but I'm getting old so maybe I'm just not keeping up with inflation :) Anyhow, I didn't mean to start another "how much is an appropriate tip" thread - we've all seen enough of those.

I like alot of things about flyertalk but not the way people attack others for offering (what was meant to be) a helpful suggestion.

Eltham Jul 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller (Post 29970201)
I never suggested tipping $1, but I don't always feel like tipping $5 every time I leave my car with valet parking or pick it up. I think $3 is probably appropriate but I'm getting old so maybe I'm just not keeping up with inflation :) Anyhow, I didn't mean to start another "how much is an appropriate tip" thread - we've all seen enough of those.

I like alot of things about flyertalk but not the way people attack others for offering (what was meant to be) a helpful suggestion.

His next post will be to tell you he was offering “advice”.

seawolf Jul 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 29961397)

I agree. Makes me wonder the following:

Do Canadians either don’t tip or they are very generous tippers when valeting a car or having assistance with bags?

I wonder what Europeans do when the smallest bill is €5 or Brits with £5 notes?

dulciusexasperis Jul 14, 2018 8:12 am

Europeans generally don't tip seawolf although they will often round up a bill. Brits are notorious for not tipping. So they don't encounter an issue when it comes to not having any small bills to offer as a tip.

Nor is the OP going to Europe. The question is about Halifax. Rather than getting excited about my suggesting $1 US bills make no sense, try considering where you would give anyone a $1 tip in Halifax. Valet parking is a primarily a US thing, not often found in Canada. Bellboys have gone the way of the Dodo thanks to Bernard Sadow. Can anyone name a hotel in Halifax that still has bellboys? Some hotels offer valet parking in Halifax but when they do, it is part of the hotel bill, there is no need to tip the valet separately. Typical is self-park $20 and valet park $27 at the Westin. So you pay a $7 'tip' for valet parking.

So the suggestion of taking some $1 US bills makes no sense to me. Whether someone feels they have been insulted by my saying that is not my problem. A $1 US bill in Halifax will be of no use whatsoever as far as I am concerned. I find the idea ridiculous. That does not mean I am saying anything about the person suggesting it, I am attacking the idea, not the person. Some people seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between the two.

Badenoch Jul 14, 2018 11:10 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 29971879)
I agree. Makes me wonder the following:

Do Canadians either don’t tip or they are very generous tippers when valeting a car or having assistance with bags?

I wonder what Europeans do when the smallest bill is €5 or Brits with £5 notes?

I frequently tip with coins in Europe, the UK and at home in Canada. Toonies and Loonies are coin of the realm in Canada and I've never had them declined. It's a good way to lighten a pocket filled with coins. :)

dulciusexasperis Jul 15, 2018 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 29973400)
I frequently tip with coins in Europe, the UK and at home in Canada. Toonies and Loonies are coin of the realm in Canada and I've never had them declined. It's a good way to lighten a pocket filled with coins. :)

I would suggest that is true of leaving a tip in a restaurant Badenoch but when is the last time you handed a car valet a Loonie or Toonie? How about a hotel bellhop in Halifax?

Making generalized statements that coins are 'coin of the realm' and you use them to tip, is not really relevant to the suggested use of $1 US bills in Halifax.

Mauibaby2008 Jul 15, 2018 9:17 am

Fidelity cash management account by far wins this one