FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Lunch at YYZ landside (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1917186-lunch-yyz-landside.html)

joejones Jun 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Lunch at YYZ landside

Upcoming 3 hour layover at YYZ, arriving from the US and flying onward to Japan (both flights on AC). US citizen with ABTC but no NEXUS. Is this enough time to pop out of the sterile area to get lunch with a local friend? And what's the most convenient venue assuming said friend is not flying anywhere that day?

jc94 Jul 1, 2018 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 29921051)
Upcoming 3 hour layover at YYZ, arriving from the US and flying onward to Japan (both flights on AC). US citizen with ABTC but no NEXUS. Is this enough time to pop out of the sterile area to get lunch with a local friend? And what's the most convenient venue assuming said friend is not flying anywhere that day?

If everything is on time just about. But it’s tight, even assuming your luggage goes through and it should you’d want to leave 60-90 means to clear security and board your plane as that’s likely a 40 min boarding time. I’d risk 60 with priority security, 90 otherwise personally.

If you want a decent meal, there is the Sheraton and Alt hotels available via monorail. Otherwise your options are extremely limited for someone not able to clear international security with you. Like Starbucks (maybe?) and Tim Hortons which rather limited seating. Though better at T1 then T3.

What is ABCT?

joejones Jul 2, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks a bunch.

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 29927723)
What is ABCT?

APEC business travel card (for getting a shorter inbound immigration line, maybe).

B407 Jul 2, 2018 7:11 pm

Personally I wouldn't risk it. Anything worth going to with a friend is still like a good 15 minute drive away minimum if not more. Also security can be slow depending on the time of day if you aren't in the priority lane.

gspurr Jul 10, 2018 9:16 am

I would say that three hours is not really enough time to go anywhere half decent without feeling rushed. If you want to try it, however, I would recommend the Keg. It is less than 5 mintues from the airport if your friend is picking you up and dropping you off.

vincewy Aug 2, 2018 10:18 pm

If you have more time, I'd recommend this restaurant by Airport Rd

Zet`s Restaurant | All Day Breakfast Toronto Airport

If you just need to meet your folks, perhaps 7-11 on the first floor by domestic arrival area where you can grab something much cheaper than the airside? Where you can meet briefly and get back into security line.

hln Aug 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Security usually is very slow at YYZ. 3 hours are in my opinion not sufficient to go out and back.

FlyerTalker70 Aug 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 29921051)

If you decide to pop out of the sterile area you'll need to clear Canadian customs/immigration which depending on the day could take some time (i.e. 30 minutes). If you're flying AC in J you'll have access to priority security at YYZ which if it's anything like Nexus line will take around 10 minutes to clear. Otherwise I would budget 20-30 minutes for security. So the short answer it is possible, especially if your aircraft arrives on time or even a bit early! There's some decent restaurants before the security checkpoint at the AC Terminal, namely a Swiss Chalet and Paramount. I'd recommend eating on premise you don't want traffic or other things holding you up! I'd recommend going through the security checkpoint around an hour before your scheduled departure (esp if you're like me and could care less about boarding first).

Hope that provides some insight!

Safe Travels,

James