Community
Wiki Posts
Search

API and dual citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
From what I heard from trusted people, Malaysia and China will revoke your citizenship on the spot and confiscate your passport if a foreign passport issued to you is discovered.

I am not in that position but I have a system of which passport in which jacket pocket for my multiple passports, Nexus, APEC, etc.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If you don’t want to get caught, don’t bring both passports with you. If country A wanted to do a customs search, the second passport would be uncovered very quickly.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
If you don’t want to get caught, don’t bring both passports with you. If country A wanted to do a customs search, the second passport would be uncovered very quickly.
That would be the choice in an ideal world but not an option for some people or some complex multiple country trips.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Member

There is an option. If dual nationality is not allowed, the original nationality should be surrendered as per applicable law. If one is a citizen of the the country, one is expected to follow the laws of that other country.

Why not just use the Canadian passport to enter Malaysia and leave the Malaysian passport in Canada?

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 10, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I don’t believe customs is allowed to keep a foreign passport. The passport belongs to the country that issued it, doesn’t it? It certainly doesn’t remove their citizenship!

The most China can do if they find you have dual citizenship is remove your Chinese citizenship. But I doubt border agents can do that on the spot.

I know CBSA can’t remove someone’s PR or Canadjan citizenship. They can certainly reporting it through to those who can, but that’s maybe a separate discussion.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seawolf
There is an option. If dual nationality is not allowed, the original nationality should be surrendered as per applicable law. If one is a citizen of the the country, one is expected to follow the laws of that other country.

Why not just use the Canadian passport to enter Malaysia and leave the Malaysian passport in Canada?
It’s possibly not that simple. If his Canadian passport lists Malaysia as place of birth, immigration may ask if he is a Malaysian citizen, so beginning an awkward conversation.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jc94
I don’t believe customs is allowed to keep a foreign passport. The passport belongs to the country that issued it, doesn’t it? It certainly doesn’t remove their citizenship!

The most China can do if they find you have dual citizenship is remove your Chinese citizenship. But I doubt border agents can do that on the spot.

I know CBSA can’t remove someone’s PR or Canadjan citizenship. They can certainly reporting it through to those who can, but that’s maybe a separate discussion.
Correct.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by LondonElite

It’s possibly not that simple. If his Canadian passport lists Malaysia as place of birth, immigration may ask if he is a Malaysian citizen, so beginning an awkward conversation.
Good point.

In any case, there is a risk but different levels of getting caught.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Nayef
What I know is that only certain countries demand API and Malaysia isn't one of them.
Correct, at least as of 4 years ago when two Iranians likely use their own passports to leave Malaysia but boarded an infamous flight to PEK using fake European passports.

China does use API. Hong Kong doesn't.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite

FYI there were quite a few Malaysian Nationals applying for Canadian citizenship right after External Affairs gave Canadians the option of leaving their place of birth blank on their passport.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
FYI there were quite a few Malaysian Nationals applying for Canadian citizenship right after External Affairs gave Canadians the option of leaving their place of birth blank on their passport.
I did not know that, but it makes sense.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:27 am

Beside API vs. not-API, another difference between HK and China: China enforces foreign visa check for its own exiting citizen. HK of course doesn't care. What Malaysia does mentioned above is a bit different from China.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Beside API vs. not-API, another difference between HK and China: China enforces foreign visa check for its own exiting citizen. HK of course doesn't care. What Malaysia does mentioned above is a bit different from China.
China does not issue a visa to Chinese National holding non-Chinese passports, this includes Chinese Nationals born in Hong Kong and Macao with exceptions.

Last edited by tentseller; Jun 11, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
China does not issue a visa to Chinese National holding non-Chinese passports, this includes Chinese Nationals born in Hong Kong and Macao with exceptions.
I meant when a Mainland Chinese citizen exits China, border agent wants to see your itinerary and visa. Not just for API purposes matching airport photo, visa and flight boarding, but at checkpoints to HK/Macau, they don't allow exit unless you have the right docs. Travel permit is needed if no plane tickets from MFM/HKG. Present passport and plane tickets, you need to show visa for visa-needed countries. Just to exit China.

So for the OP, an earlier post indicates Malaysia Immigration may be doing something now 4 years after MH370. It is advisable to make an obvious stop in HKG/TPE where you claim bags and check in again so Malaysia to Canada is not one check-in.

Or just fly from SIN.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:24 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Skatering
Interesting. Although, if you had say a UK and Chinese passport, and you told them 'I want to keep the Chinese one' and they 'remove' your UK passport, you're still a UK citizen. Unless they just revoke the Chinese citizenship on the spot, which would work.
If you want to keep the UK one, the PRC passport will be revoked instantly. I don't know what would happen if you wanted to keep the PRC one, because after going through all the effort to naturalise who wants to just give that up?** I guess they might hold on to your PRC passport pending your official renunciation of UK citizenship (though IIRC you have one opportunity to restore UK citizenship after renunciation).

Anyway it's one rule for some and another rule for others, I know someone who the PRC quasi-officially permits to hold PRC and Canadian citizenship but the less said about it the better.

**Well I heard of a naturalized American who didn't realise he needed to file US taxes regardless of his residence, but he had already renounced his PRC citizenship and wasn't allowed to get it back even if he gave up his US citizenship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.