FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Do I need to do anything special beyond just declaring prize items at the border? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1911900-do-i-need-do-anything-special-beyond-just-declaring-prize-items-border.html)

canadiancow May 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Do I need to do anything special beyond just declaring prize items at the border?

Does anyone have experience with the following? I'm not even sure what to Google (I've tried a few things, but nothing quite matches what I'm doing).

I'm going on a recruiting trip to Waterloo on Sunday.

As part of htis, I am bringing some items to give out to students as prizes, such as:

Backpacks
Google Home Minis
Paper notebooks
etc.

The total retail value of everything is well under $500.

Do I need to do anything special beyond just declaring it at the border? Am I going to need an itemized list for them to assess any taxes/duties?

Basically I just want to make this is easy as possible. I'm not concerned about having to pay any money (as it can obviously be expensed), but I am concerned about doing anything illegal :p

jc94 May 30, 2018 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29811397)
Does anyone have experience with the following? I'm not even sure what to Google (I've tried a few things, but nothing quite matches what I'm doing).

I'm going on a recruiting trip to Waterloo on Sunday.

As part of htis, I am bringing some items to give out to students as prizes, such as:

Backpacks
Google Home Minis
Paper notebooks
etc.

The total retail value of everything is well under $500.

Do I need to do anything special beyond just declaring it at the border? Am I going to need an itemized list for them to assess any taxes/duties?

Basically I just want to make this is easy as possible. I'm not concerned about having to pay any money (as it can obviously be expensed), but I am concerned about doing anything illegal :p

Well you’re clearly under the limit (depending upon how recently you’ve been flicking over the border recently), but I’d just list $500 and head to an officer asking them if you need to pay taxes or whatever. And don’t book a short connection ;)

While I’ve only bought in personal items before, when I was close to limit I did a quick spreadsheet listing each item/collection of which price in foreign currency and the converted value to CDN based on xe.com rate.

The officer took a look at my declared amount and said ah, what are these items. I’m convinced I would have gone to secondary had I not pulled out the list. He took one look and said have a nice day.

canadiancow May 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Yeah, I know how personal items would work. My main concern is that they're not "mine".

jc94 May 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29811524)
Yeah, I know how personal items would work. My main concern is that they're not "mine".

Yep hence declare them. My only other thought is,
assuming someone else paid for them, get a letter from them stating the purpose, that you are allowed to transport them, and probably a receipt plus their phone number.

With these sort of things, honesty and proof is the best way forward. At least that’s my completely non legal point of view :)

canadiancow May 31, 2018 12:14 pm

Okay I have an itemized list. I need to figure out how many of everything I have (we somewhat randomly divided the items between us), but I'd be surprised if I'm carrying over $250 worth of stuff.

I don't think I'll need a letter from anyone. It's mostly t-shirts, backpacks, pens, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Palal Jun 1, 2018 3:41 am

This should be helpful.

KDS777 Jun 13, 2018 9:07 am

Your title made me look.

Thought you hit it big in LAS and were coming back with a Tumi full of dead presidents.

canadiancow Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 29861973)
Your title made me look.

Thought you hit it big in LAS and were coming back with a Tumi full of dead presidents.

Haha the title was written by a moderator who moved my post here from another thread. I would have worded it a little differently, because it came across a bit like that to me too.

jc94 Jun 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29862618)
Haha the title was written by a moderator who moved my post here from another thread. I would have worded it a little differently, because it came across a bit like that to me too.

Technically you did write it a little differently ;)

Out if interest, if can divulge, how did it go? I imagine regardless that YMMV based on ones demeanour, travel patterns and history, and agent, but would still be interested.

canadiancow Jun 13, 2018 10:24 pm

I filled out the declaration card on the flight. I was not going to use NEXUS.

I checked the box in the visitor section to indicate I was over my limit.

At the desk, I told the officer I had $250 in items like pens and backpacks to give out to students at UW for recruiting. I handed her the itemized list.

She spent some time on her computer, but crossed out what the kiosk had printed on my form, wrote a new one, and sent me on my way.

No secondary.

My colleague did not declare anything.

So sure, it took me marginally longer to get through, but I'm happy that I didn't put my NEXUS at risk.

jc94 Jun 14, 2018 4:47 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29864637)
I filled out the declaration card on the flight. I was not going to use NEXUS.

I checked the box in the visitor section to indicate I was over my limit.

At the desk, I told the officer I had $250 in items like pens and backpacks to give out to students at UW for recruiting. I handed her the itemized list.

She spent some time on her computer, but crossed out what the kiosk had printed on my form, wrote a new one, and sent me on my way.

No secondary.

My colleague did not declare anything.

So sure, it took me marginally longer to get through, but I'm happy that I didn't put my NEXUS at risk.

Nice, thanks. I always prefer to err on the side of caution too with these sort of things.

DirtyDan Jun 20, 2018 5:33 am

All Canada Customs is ever looking for is their cash grab. Itemized list and/or receipts make things go really smooth. Be honest and usually all you pay is the GST (plus alcohol tax and tariffs on diamonds from certain countries I've learned...).