Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question for frequent international flyers from Canada about exit stamps

Old May 21, 18, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS

Hello,

I was wondering if any frequent flyers who fly from Canada (preferably those who also have experience flying from the U.S.) can answer this question for me:

Here in the U.S. when you check in for an international flight then you want to get into the terminal, CBP only checks the passport and the boarding pass and they don't do exit stamps on the passport like they do in a lot of parts of the world like Europe and the Middle East.

When you check in for an international flight to Europe or Asia or elsewhere (not the U.S.) from Toronto or Montreal, then you go into to the terminal that takes you to non-U.S. international flights, does the CBSA only look at your boarding pass and passport, or do they also do an exit stamp?

I'm inclined to think that they don't, but I wanted to make sure. My only recent experience was flying between IAD and YYZ a year and a half ago and I don't think I had an exit stamp, though of course, I had to get a CBP stamp going through U.S. preclearance.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 21, 18, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
Curious question? I know FTs who are concerned about Israel, but Canada??

No, CBSA (not CBP BTW) do not stamp passports on departure. Where you may be confused is where an agent (private security, not CBSA) asks to see your passport before entering the int'l area @ YYZ, for example. I refer to that procedure as confirming travel docs, not checking passports.

Last edited by Antonio8069; May 21, 18 at 3:47 pm Reason: remove unnecessary punctuation
Old May 21, 18, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

I understand the difference between an airlines agent and a security officer. I was specifically wondering whether CBSA put exit stamps on passports or not, that's all. It's not a matter of concern like it is with respect to traveling to Israel.
Old May 21, 18, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BTW, when you take an international flight out of the USA, an airline representative will look at your passport and check for visas and other necessary travel documents, but you do NOT ever (except in extraordinary circumstance, such as when CBP is checking hand luggage in the jetway for unreported currency in excess of $10,000) see a CBP official. Airport security is done (with the exception of SFO and a couple other airports that use a private firm) by TSA. They check your boarding pass against photo ID (unless you have CLEAR), but you are NOT required to show a passport, even for international departures (although some TSA employees might try to tell you that use of a passport is required, while others insist on a driver's license, but any valid government issued photo ID is acceptable, including NEXIS/GE, and TSA has a list of these).
Often1 likes this.
Old May 21, 18, 4:24 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Canada does not have exit customs, Iíve never had my passport stamped on departure and itís not a NA passport. Entry only, for non residents (and sometimes US ones?)
Nayef and Often1 like this.
Old May 21, 18, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
BTW, when you take an international flight out of the USA, an airline representative will look at your passport and check for visas and other necessary travel documents, but you do NOT ever (except in extraordinary circumstance, such as when CBP is checking hand luggage in the jetway for unreported currency in excess of $10,000) see a CBP official. Airport security is done (with the exception of SFO and a couple other airports that use a private firm) by TSA. They check your boarding pass against photo ID (unless you have CLEAR), but you are NOT required to show a passport, even for international departures (although some TSA employees might try to tell you that use of a passport is required, while others insist on a driver's license, but any valid government issued photo ID is acceptable, including NEXIS/GE, and TSA has a list of these).
Thank you for your reply. I live in the States so I fly internationally and locally through here and Iím pretty familiar with the procedures and I even have a Nexus card.

I just wondered how Canada compares to the US because I already knew the US doesnít do exit stamps (except for people who were subjected to NSEERS years ago).
Old May 21, 18, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
There is no "passport exit control" per say in Canada.

An airport representative at the gate may check for visa's and travel documents as required, but do they not check for certain entry stamps to specific countries as far as I know.

Last edited by KDS777; May 23, 18 at 5:57 am
Old May 22, 18, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
One more confirmation for no exit stamp. Fly from/to Canada three to four times a year.

For one thing, you never pass anyone who could potentially stamp your passport, and when I was living in Texas I used my Texas DL for ID at security.
Old May 22, 18, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Note that while there are no immigration controls when departing Canada, attempting to leave the international departures area of a Canadian airport will require passing back through entry immigration, triggering all the normal requirements of entering Canada applicable to your citizenship and immigration status.
Old May 23, 18, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
This happened to me twice when DL flights from YYC to MSP were cancelled for the day. A Delta rep was required to walk us back thru Canadian immigration, but no document check was performed.

She just explained to the CBSA guy what occurred, they were already aware of it already, and we were thru in seconds.

Don't know what the rules are, but it happened twice last year.
Old May 23, 18, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To avoid the wandering thread, there is no passport control system on departure from either the US or Canada, e.g. a barrier where a government official "stamps" you out of the country,

Passport (as well as visa and health certificates if applicable) checks are conducted by the carrier solely for the purpose of assuring that you are properly documented for your foreign arrival and are conducted as a means of avoiding liability for having transported undocumented passengers.

Search this Thread