Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does Toronto city center have free overnight street parking? On July 2 natl holiday?

Does Toronto city center have free overnight street parking? On July 2 natl holiday?

Old May 16, 18, 10:07 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi all, quick question for you --

We are thinking about renting a car while around Toronto, staying at the Westin Harbor. If we rent the car on a Sunday, and return it on the Tuesday after Canada Day holiday (holiday on Monday), is there free street parking around the hotel that we can use? During the day / over night?

I'm willing to walk many minutes for free parking. The point being to not be extorted out of $40 or something per day for hotel parking...

Thanks!
Old May 17, 18, 7:41 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by TA View Post
Hi all, quick question for you --

We are thinking about renting a car while around Toronto, staying at the Westin Harbor. If we rent the car on a Sunday, and return it on the Tuesday after Canada Day holiday (holiday on Monday), is there free street parking around the hotel that we can use? During the day / over night?

I'm willing to walk many minutes for free parking. The point being to not be extorted out of $40 or something per day for hotel parking...

Thanks!
I doubt youíll find much. You can normally park overnight at the Go stations if you want to drive out to one and then go train it back into Union.. But free?

Other idea ... When do you need the car until? Once done drop it off, airport drop off is not normally a $$$ issue (unlike pick up) and normally same cost as picking up downtown and dropping off there (no surcharge). You can then take the UPX ($12) to Union or if you want cheap the 192 rocket to Kipling and TTC to Yonge then down to Union (about $3... and 1.25h once the bus arrives... if not busy)

As soon as youíre done with car Iíd drop it off, to save on hire costs. And then UPX it as thatís 25 mins YYZ to Union. Which is about 10 mins walk from that Westin.
Old May 17, 18, 7:48 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH
There are some private lots in the area, but for free street parking you would have to hike it up above the Gardiner (more than a many minutes walk). Even then, you would be limited in availability. Some of the main streets will allow it, but you will have to move your car by at least 7am (maybe earlier - check the signs) for the morning rush (or you will be towed). You will also have to pay for parking up late at night (varies, but some places charge late into the night). (Canada Day is July 1. Many companies will observe the Canada Day holiday on Monday, July 2, but I don't know if parking enforcement will.) If you get into a residential area, a lot of them have permit requirements after midnight (or sooner). Just make sure you read the signs.

Where exactly are you planning on going? You are about a 10 minutes walk to Union station, and can catch the subway to many spots downtown. Unless you are planning on going somewhere outside the core, you may be better off just using transit and the occasional taxi/uber instead.
Old May 17, 18, 8:44 am

Free parking may be a tall order in downtown area. Cheaper parking than the hotel rates is probably easier to find. There are several lots east of the hotel along Queen's Quay that serve daytime visitors taking the ferry out to the Toronto Islands (ferry dock is right next to Westin) - and they typically charge flat rates for the day that get lower the further away they are from the dock ($10-$25). But for overnight, I would recommend seeking a Green P lot (city owned parking authority) for lots that are more secure, rates that are less gouging and more easily paid for by credit card (most of the private lots are cash only). This website shows you where the Green P lots are, and their rates:
https://parking.greenp.com/find-parking/
They appear to have a few lots a few blocks east of the Westin on the south side of the Gardiner.
Old May 17, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH
I didn't realize there were Green P lots so close to the hotel. That would be the best option. However, note that overnight parking rates end at 7am. They do have an app, so you don't have to walk over to pay. However, I don't know if the app allows you to pre pay your parking after 7am or if you have to wake up before 7 to extend your parking.
Old May 17, 18, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by laidback71 View Post
They do have an app, so you don't have to walk over to pay. However, I don't know if the app allows you to pre pay your parking after 7am or if you have to wake up before 7 to extend your parking.
I just did a quick test with the app, and it appears you can pay for a custom duration beyond one day. The website shows that the lots in this area (2 surface and 1 garage) are relatively small, so on a busy holiday weekend they may fill up quickly - be prepared to find parking elsewhere too
Old May 17, 18, 10:22 am
TA
Original Poster

Thanks for all these replies! The green P parking lots seem to be a good idea. Much appreciated!
Old May 18, 18, 9:07 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Just get and use the Green P app at the green P lots. It is also used for on street metered as well.

If there is no sign posted permitting overnight parking then the standard overnight parking bylaw is in effect of nothing over 3 hours.
This enforcement is non-intrusive and you would not know that you can has been marked.
Dec 1-Mar 31 is no parking 12am to 300am.
Old May 18, 18, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Just get and use the Green P app at the green P lots. It is also used for on street metered as well.

If there is no sign posted permitting overnight parking then the standard overnight parking bylaw is in effect of nothing over 3 hours.
This enforcement is non-intrusive and you would not know that you can has been marked.
Dec 1-Mar 31 is no parking 12am to 300am.
+1 on this, make sure to be aware that overnight street parking is generally banned in Toronto unless otherwise posted.

Given where you are staying, unless you plan to visit a lot of places in the suburbs I'd recommend not even getting the car in the first place. Driving in downtown Toronto is a nightmare a lot of the time.
Old May 19, 18, 9:58 am
Suspended

As a long time Toronto resident and now as a visitor who sometimes stays at Harbourfront (harbour is spelled with a 'u'), I can tell you that if I need a car, I pay to park at the hotel. There is no practical way to do otherwise that is worth saving the hotel parking fee. Even knowing the city as well as I do, I would not expect to be able to find anywhere I could leave a car parked overnight for free within an hour's walk of the Harbour Castle hotel.

I would however ask one question before making a firm suggestion. Where do you plan to go in the car? As noted above, if where you want to get to isn't walkable from your hotel, public transportation or a taxi may be just as easy as using a car and having to find a place and then pay to park it when you get where you are going anyway.

Another alternative if for example you were planning a one day drive and visit to say Niagara Falls, would be to rent for the day using a rental company that will drop off and pick up the rental to/from the hotel. Or rent from Hertz at their Brookfield Place location and walk up their to pick up and then just drop off there at the end of your day out and walk back down to your hotel.
Old May 19, 18, 10:44 am
TA
Original Poster

I believe we are planning to take 1-2 trips to Mississauga and back during the 2 days, so I figured it might be convenient to have a car to do it ourselves rather than wait on taxis/Uber.
But from what you're suggesting, maybe better to dump the car after the main use of it (arriving in Toronto) and accomplishing perhaps 1 Mississauga trip early.
Old May 19, 18, 12:06 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by TA View Post
I believe we are planning to take 1-2 trips to Mississauga and back during the 2 days, so I figured it might be convenient to have a car to do it ourselves rather than wait on taxis/Uber.
But from what you're suggesting, maybe better to dump the car after the main use of it (arriving in Toronto) and accomplishing perhaps 1 Mississauga trip early.
Iíd take the Go/Uber over driving downtown. Or buses into Islington then TTC for a cheaper route from Mississauga. I refuse to drive central downtown as public transit is far faster.

I actually take the Go ever time I go into downtown.
Iíve never waited more than 5-10 mins for Uber. Taxis like Becks can be busy (like after a game or at Christmas) and ... difficult so I avoid them where possible. Not to mention they average 200% non peak Uber cost.

To Uber X from Airport go to Alt Hotel (I posted details before in another thread but basically take monorail), and avoid any Black/Select only offers from T1/T3. And avoid hiring a car, even if you do want one, from the airport.

Both for cost reasons and I prefer not to drive a hire car straight out into the madness that is Toronto traffic. At least downtown you arenít moving much!
Old May 19, 18, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
As @jc94 said you can get from downtown to Mississauga very conveniently on GO Transit (commuter rail - runs every 30 minutes 6am-midnight) but depending on your itinerary there the 'last mile' of the journey will likely require a taxi as surface public transit is very poor in that area of the GTA.

That said, although GO is quick and pretty easy, a return trip from Toronto to Mississauga for 2 people is likely to cost almost the same as a car rental and that's not even including your taxi cost. Parking is usually free in Mississauga.

If you can squeeze your out-of-city-centre activities into a couple of days then get rid of the car, that might be the best option. Also consider time of day / day of the week, as Mississauga-Toronto (and vv) is a major commuter route with horrendously bad traffic on weekdays. During peak hours, it'd probably be a lot more comfortable to do train + taxi, whereas on the weekend a direct car trip would be easier and faster.
Old May 20, 18, 11:36 am
Suspended

The more relevant info you provide the more relevant responses can be. Now you have added Mississauga is your destination for a couple of trips. But Mississauga is a large area still and some places far more accessible than others. If where you plan to visit for example is steps away from a Go Station, the answer will differ from a house in the middle of suburbia that you can't get close to by public transportation at all.

Coming from the airport to your hotel, it is easy to take the express train to Union Station and from there it is a not unreasonable stroll even wheeling a suitcase, to your hotel. That's probably the simplest and most cost effective way to get to the hotel. For your visits to Mississauga however you have to weigh cost, convenience, hassle, etc. of the various ways to do it depending on your actual destination's location in Mississauga.

So from airport: https://www.torontopearson.com/en/toandfrom/upexpress/#

From Union Station to your hotel walking:

From hotel to Mississauga, walk to Union Station and then take Go to nearest point in Mississauga:
https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-pl...-and-route-map
Then Uber or taxi if not walkable to your final destination.

If it were me, I would just take a limo from the airport to the hotel. Walk up to Hertz at Brookfield Place the next morning and rent a car. Go visit whatever in MIssissauga all in that same day and return the car to Hertz and walk back down to the hotel. If I had to, I'd repeat that the second day. But then, I value comfort and convenience over cost more often than not. I like driving myself and am not bothered by driving in busy city traffic.
Old May 21, 18, 8:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've used the Parking Panda website and app to find the cheapest parking in that area. You might give it a try.

Search this Thread