Vancouver - Fairmont or Four Seasons?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?

The prices are similar ($1762CDN for Fairmont Waterfront vs $1539 for Four Seasons) 3 nights in August (pre-cruise). We've been on a Fairmont kick lately - have had a few very lovely stays in various places. But I've never stayed at a Four Seasons and really sort of...want to. Ratings/reviews seem similar, locations are close enough to not really be a deciding factor, nor are loyalty points for us. Room size (prices are for the cheapest rooms available) are almost the same. I think Fairmont has coffee in the room and Four Seasons doesn't, but Four Seasons is cheaper.

Any other factors at play that could help us decide? Thanks!!
Old May 15, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I've stayed in the Waterfront and would do so again without hesitation.

The 4 Seasons is done in 2020........it's in dire need of reno's, and has been dropped from the chain when their agreement expires, as the owner's do not want to spend the money to replace 30 year old stuff.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I don't think FS should be on the list. It is a bad bad hotel.

It is usually between the Pac Rim or the Rosewood. I would choose Pac Rim over Rosewood, simply due to the views. I would stay at about 8 hotels over FS.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Fairmont for sure.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
The prices are similar ($1762CDN for Fairmont Waterfront vs $1539 for Four Seasons) 3 nights in August (pre-cruise). We've been on a Fairmont kick lately - have had a few very lovely stays in various places. But I've never stayed at a Four Seasons and really sort of...want to. Ratings/reviews seem similar, locations are close enough to not really be a deciding factor, nor are loyalty points for us. Room size (prices are for the cheapest rooms available) are almost the same. I think Fairmont has coffee in the room and Four Seasons doesn't, but Four Seasons is cheaper.

Any other factors at play that could help us decide? Thanks!!
Fairmont, by a long shot. Four Seasons Vancouver is an embarrassment to the brand, and as others mentioned, is on it's way out. If you've never stayed at a FS before please don't start with the Vancouver property....

If you book the Fairmont, consider ordering some Life Experiences gift cards from Costco (only available on the Canadian website, but easy enough to access if you're based elsewhere). $100 certificates can be purchased for $74.99, which can then be used to purchase Fairmont gift certificates on the Life Experiences website (for stays at Canadian properties only). These can be applied to any rate booked through the hotel, including prepaid rates (they will simply apply the certificates and refund to your original credit card). It should be noted that technically a max of 10 certificates can be redeemed per stay, with some people reporting properties not enforcing the limit.

A very easy way to save an additional 25% at Fairmont, making it an even more attractive option. Keep in mind this method is not applicable to third party bookings, or Amex FHR.

Enjoy Vancouver!

Last edited by SOWK; May 15, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Old May 15, 2018, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! I love the info on Flyertalk (Tripadvisor ratings still pretty good for FS). Now I'll give in to my husband's wishes for another Fairmont stay ;-)

I'll explore the life experiences gift cards too - thanks! We typically book direct with the hotel - get the basic 5% discount and a best rate guarantee at a minimum....
Old May 16, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Thanks for the feedback! I love the info on Flyertalk (Tripadvisor ratings still pretty good for FS). Now I'll give in to my husband's wishes for another Fairmont stay ;-)

I'll explore the life experiences gift cards too - thanks! We typically book direct with the hotel - get the basic 5% discount and a best rate guarantee at a minimum....
You can do that AND apply the LE certs.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Fairmont Waterfront for sure for all the reasons the others said. The Four Seasons Vancouver is not a true representation of the brand, which is why the rates are so cheap. Waterfront is great. However, Yew at FS is excellent. They have these lobster pork bao rolls that I still think about!!
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
You can do that AND apply the LE certs.
Yep, thanks, I got that - was explaining my "norm" before I learned about the LE certs. Wish I'd asked before our Jan trip to Banff when we stayed at a Fairmont ;-) Haven't figured out if they'll allow my US credit card or not yet....[to buy on costco.ca]
Old May 19, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended

Other than being waterfront, why the Fairmont Waterfront? I am a Fairmont fan but always stay at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. It is one of the historic Canadian railway hotels while the Waterfront is just another modern box that you find anywhere. Also, as you plan to stay 3 nights pre-cruise, it is a more central location for all the downtown attractions you may want to visit.
Photos - Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Old May 20, 2018, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Other than being waterfront, why the Fairmont Waterfront?
Well, we haven't decided for sure (end of August stay) but location & price, probably....The last 2 Fairmonts we stayed at were lovely historic hotels so I don't mind a glass cube this time, I guess......

Seemed like Waterfront would be a closer walk to Gastown and public transport options, but I freely admit I haven't planned the Vancouver stay so I'm not sure all we plan to do. What is the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver closer to/easier to access? Thanks!

Last edited by Hoyaheel; May 20, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Old May 21, 2018, 10:20 am
Suspended

Nothing is really that far away in regards to attractions in the city centre, from either hotel. Waterfront may be a few steps closer to Gastown or Stanley Park but is a few steps farther from Granville Island or Robson street. So my comment re being more central may be a bit misleading. Really to me, it is about the difference in the hotels themselves in terms of ambience etc.

Regarding attractions, one of our favourite things to do in Vancouver is visiting Granville Island. A few blocks walk from the Hotel Vancouver you get to a ferry dock where you catch one of the little ferries across. https://vancouversbestplaces.com/top...r-ferry-boats/

https://theaquabus.com/

» Dock Locations

The two ferry companies can get you to various attractions in a more interesting way than public transport or taxis.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Well, we haven't decided for sure (end of August stay) but location & price, probably....The last 2 Fairmonts we stayed at were lovely historic hotels so I don't mind a glass cube this time, I guess......

Seemed like Waterfront would be a closer walk to Gastown and public transport options, but I freely admit I haven't planned the Vancouver stay so I'm not sure all we plan to do. What is the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver closer to/easier to access? Thanks!
You want to stay at the Waterfront, as it is closer to Gastown and the best walking etc. The Hotel Vancouver is a few blocks away up the hill.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Note there are three Fairmonts in Vancouver -

- Fairmont Waterfront
- Fairmont Pacific Rim
- Fairmont Hotel Vancouver

Make sure your taxi drops you off at the correct one
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
I would chose Pac Rim any day over the other Fairmonts. It is a sublime hotel, completely different feel to a lot of other fairmonts. My favourite hotel worldwide possibly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.