Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Paying Duty When Flying Into YYZ from FRA? (US citizen)

Paying Duty When Flying Into YYZ from FRA? (US citizen)

Old May 7, 18, 6:17 am
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: ROC & DBV
Programs: DL, AF
Posts: 6
Paying Duty When Flying Into YYZ from FRA? (US citizen)

I'm flying from Croatia into Toronto (via Frankfurt) on Wednesday, and will then drive immediately to my home in the US.

I'll have four bottles of wine with me, which is over the duty free limit.

When I've flown into the US with that much wine, customs has always just waved me through. Does anyone know what I should expect at Pearson? Everything I've read indicates that Canada charges duty based on your residence, so it's not clear to me what they'll do with someone from the US...

(And yes, I know I'll also have to declare them when I drive over the border, but with that I know what to expect.)

Last edited by mamamusings; May 7, 18 at 6:19 am Reason: Typos
mamamusings is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,856
You will need to declare what stays in Canada, which is nothing. You'll need to declare at the US border.
mamamusings likes this.
LondonElite is online now  
Old May 7, 18, 6:36 am
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,593
Tell the CBSA agent, when asked, that you have four bottles of wine.
​​​​​​You will be taking it with you out of Canada into the US.

Worse case is that you will be duties and taxes on the wine as you have no acceptable proof of a onward boarding pass.
You will then stop at the CBSA office at the boarder crossing when you drive to the US and get your paid duties and taxes back.

If you are not asked, then don't say anything.
mamamusings likes this.
tentseller is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 1:50 pm
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Programs: United MileagePlus, Nexus, Global Entry
Posts: 8,765
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
If you are not asked, then don't say anything.
They will be asked as the declaration form specifically asks about alcohol and whether the traveller is within their limits.

Last edited by gglave; May 8, 18 at 3:17 pm
gglave is offline  
Old May 14, 18, 12:04 am
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: YYJ/YXY
Posts: 2,905
Assuming you have 4 bottles a 750 ml, I wouldn't worry too much. Declare it as over the limit on the form. You will be asked about it by the officer, then explain your plan.

In the unlikely event you get charged, ask for the relevant paperwork to get your money back when you exit Canada.

Have a safe drive!
sokolov is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread