Search

Yancouver skiing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Yancouver skiing

Hi!

I'm going to be in Vancouver next week, and have a spare day. Someone mentioned going skiing, which greatly appeals as i've not been yet this winter.

Is Grouse Mountain the only logical option? I fly out in the evening (will need to leave the hotel in downtown around 6pm), and only have 1 day, but the slopes only open at 1pm (weekday). I understand the shuttle bus has finished for the season, so will need to take public transport (I won't have a car).

Has anyone skied here recently? Good snow? It's by far the latest i've skied in the season.

Thanks!

Is this feasible, or too much hassle for just a couple of hours?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA JAL
I haven't skied since I was a kid and not at Grouse. I personally think it's not worth the hassle. You could take the Seabus from downtown and then 236 bus right to the base of the Skyride. However, it is $45 Canadian before tax per person to get on the Skyride and I couldn't find out how long it would take to go up and down. So assume you get there at 12:30PM at the base, take 1 hour to get your rental sorted out and get to the top of the mountain, at best I assume you only have about 2 hours of skiing. So another hour to get down the mountain and return the gear, the trip back to downtown could take at least another hour. That leaves you about 30 minutes to pack and check out.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I guess it depends how much you want to spend, but I'd consider it worth doing.

If you're uploading on the Skyride at noon then you'll be on the top at 12:15 (shouldn't be too busy on a weekday). That gives you enough time to get your rentals sorted and be on the slopes by the time the lifts open at 1pm.

Ski for three hours, return your gear at 4pm and you should be back at your hotel by 6pm.

The weather next week is supposed to be gorgeous, so it will be pretty incredible up there. Bring your sunglasses.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...mbia/vancouver

Snow is typical Spring Skiing conditions -

https://www.grousemountain.com/web-cams/snow-cam
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for the input guys. It's a shame it opens so late in the day. I might look at doing a scenic flight over tor Victoria or something as the weather looks good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.