Inadmissibility to Canada due to old DUI's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inadmissibility to Canada due to old DUI's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Yes, my mistake OSSYULYYZ, I was thinking outside of USA and the OP is from the USA.

Nevertheless, the requirement remains the same, no criminal convictions. The OP would have to deny having any convictions when going through Canadian Immigration in the airport. In other words, lie. Whether asked specifically or not doesn't matter. You are required to disclose convicitons, they are not required to specifically ask. There is no way around that. Did you know even George W. Bush had to get a waiver to enter Canada because he had a DUI in Maine in 1976!

With a single offense many years ago, the OP might have had a chance of being allowed to enter or get a waiver on the spot but with 2 offenses, there is a pattern of behaviour and no chance of being allowed to enter. No matter how people try to twist things around, that isn't going to change. The answer is to apply for a waiver but if there is not sufficient time to go through that process, then that's that. The OP has to deal with what is, not what she might wish was.

Sell the bookings recoup some costs, move on.
I never said anything about denying the convictions if asked about them. I said quite the opposite. To be completely honest about everything. CBSA can use discretion to allow those with criminal convictions in. When you are honest, the worst case scenario is that you are allowed to voluntarily withdraw an application to enter Canada and you return back to the US without having a removal or exclusion order on your record.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just curious, considering volume of travel and probably fairly significant % of dui in us, how often canada turns ppl away. I ve never seen any scenes in many many crossings but perhaps i want looking...
It doesnt seem reasonable that 15-17 yo offence (non violent kind) should provide grounds for inadmissibility but it probably can...

i would definitely try especially if driving - nothing to lose given non refundable travel already paid for...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Just curious, considering volume of travel and probably fairly significant % of dui in us, how often canada turns ppl away. I ve never seen any scenes in many many crossings but perhaps i want looking...
It doesnt seem reasonable that 15-17 yo offence (non violent kind) should provide grounds for inadmissibility but it probably can...

i would definitely try especially if driving - nothing to lose given non refundable travel already paid for...
People don't get turned away until they get sent to secondary inspection, hence why you're unlikely to witness someone being denied due to a DUI or some other conviction

Again, convictions are assessed based on equivalency with Canadian law. A DUI in Canada is essentially classified as the equivalent of a felony, hence why it is taken seriously.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Well considering you could have killed one of my family members or friends by drinking and driving, I’m glad your not allowed in my wife’s country. Frankly I don’t think you should even be given the Privilege of a license to drive a car. So count yourself lucky.
A friend of ours was killed by a drunk driver... who made a ‘mistake’
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:00 am
Suspended

If you are interested, here is a very comprehensive explanation. Entering Canada with a DUI - Canada DUI Entry 2018

Canada turns away visitors from the USA (and everywhere else), every day for all kinds of reasons. DUI convictions is actually one of the most common reasons. Note the comment here re 40 year old DUI. There's no time limit.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ents-show.html
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aidy
Well considering you could have killed one of my family members or friends by drinking and driving, I’m glad your not allowed in my wife’s country. Frankly I don’t think you should even be given the Privilege of a license to drive a car. So count yourself lucky.
A friend of ours was killed by a drunk driver... who made a ‘mistake’
this gets into omni territory but i believe our justice system is based on the idea of rehabilitation as forcing lifetime punishments is not a particularly productive way and it absolutely does not work in crime prevention

It appears that despite such draconian rules canada still leads all nations in drunk driving deaths
Canada?s drunk-driving death rate worst among wealthy countries, U.S. study finds | National Post
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
this gets into omni territory but i believe our justice system is based on the idea of rehabilitation as forcing lifetime punishments is not a particularly productive way and it absolutely does not work in crime prevention

It appears that despite such draconian rules canada still leads all nations in drunk driving deaths
Canada?s drunk-driving death rate worst among wealthy countries, U.S. study finds National Post
You conveniently state "all nations" when it says "among wealthy countries"

And since that is the fact, do you figure we in Canada should "lighten up" on the penalties and then let more formerly convicted drunk drivers enter our country for a little sightseeing?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Canada?s drunk-driving death rate worst among wealthy countries, U.S. study finds National Post
OMNI because facts are mis-stated

Literally (not figurativelly) first sentence after headline:

Originally Posted by nationalpost.com

The CDC study found that while fewer people were dying from motor vehicle crashes in Canada, the proportion of deaths linked to alcohol impairment was 34%

Originally Posted by mapleg
You conveniently state "all nations" when it says "among wealthy countries"

And since that is the fact, do you figure we in Canada should "lighten up" on the penalties and then let more formerly convicted drunk drivers enter our country for a little sightseeing?
It's proportion of deaths that involve alcohol.

Given how many people are killed by drunk drivers in southern US where laws are very lax, I find it hard to believe this, unless there are just a lot of car crash related deaths in US.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg

I am pretty certain that someone with 15 yo offence is not any more dangerous than some random visitor. This rule does not make canada any safer imho.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

I am pretty certain that someone with 15 yo offence is not any more dangerous than some random visitor. This rule does not make canada any safer imho.
I really am not interested in arguing the point but I don't see the logic in your comment azepine.

Someone who has been caught drinking and driving has proven they are willing to do that. Someone who has been caught twice has proven they did not learn their lesson the first time. How long ago it was since they were last caught, does not prove they have stopped the behaviour. It just proves they haven't been caught doing it lately. Time is irrelevant in terms of trying to predict their behaviour tomorrow.

The person may not be 'any more dangerous than some random visitor' as you say. However, while we have no evidence regarding the random visitor, we do have evidence regarding the person with a past offense. The random visitor may be a serial killer, but the operative word is may. There is no 'may' regarding the person with the 15 yo offense. That person is an offender.

Therefore, there is no basis on which to deny the 'random visitor' entry but there is definitely a basis on which to deny the proven offender.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Back on topic. I would risk this and see if you get in. Odd's are high you will.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by iMedic
Honestly your best bet for getting in is if when they scan your passport nothing about your last criminality shows up on the screen.
I'm curious: mechanically, how does this work? How does DWI (which the US considers a non-criminal offence) get associated with the passport? Do DWIs wind up in the FBI database? Are driving records tied to whatever gets pulled up from the passport somehow?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:31 pm

It there was an arrest or criminal charges it usually enters the FBI's NCIC which Canada has access to.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by iamflyer
It there was an arrest or criminal charges it usually enters the FBI's NCIC which Canada has access to.

Right, but isn’t the issue that DUI is criminal in Canada but not the US? In that case, would there be an arrest or criminal conviction? And if not, how would it enter a database that CBSA could access by scanning the passport?

Having never driven drunk, let alone been ticketed or convicted of DWI, I’m blissfully ignorant of the process....
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ashill

Right, but isn’t the issue that DUI is criminal in Canada but not the US? In that case, would there be an arrest or criminal conviction? And if not, how would it enter a database that CBSA could access by scanning the passport?

Having never driven drunk, let alone been ticketed or convicted of DWI, I’m blissfully ignorant of the process....
DWIs and DUIs in the US can result in time behind bars. And in the US, to get locked up in a jail or prison is supposed to be for just those arrested and/or convicted for a criminal violation of law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.