Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ / Toronto Pearson Customs Preclearance to USA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
YYZ / Toronto Pearson Customs Preclearance to USA

Hi all, I'm on a 7 am flight from Toronto Pearson to HNL, connecting thru DFW. I know customs will take place in Toronto -- How early should I be at the Airport? Is everything fully staffed at 4 or 5 am? Any other details I should know? I'm a US citizen. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Many flights leave that early. If you have checked bags, arrive 90 mins early. If you have no bags, arrive 75 mins early. If you have no bags, and global entry or Nexus, arrive 45 mins early (assuming you did OLCI.)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
If you have no bags, and global entry or Nexus, arrive 45 mins early (assuming you did OLCI.)
Even with GE/Nexus and without bags, I'd say 60 min to be safe. The morning lines can get long, and you still have to talk to a human with GE at outstations. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I've cut a few flights very close at YYZ because of lines.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There’s no differences for which airline one is flying out of YYZ (or other Canadian airports with USA Preclearance) to the USA, so this thread has been moved to the proper forum.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Even with GE/Nexus and without bags, I'd say 60 min to be safe. The morning lines can get long, and you still have to talk to a human with GE at outstations. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I've cut a few flights very close at YYZ because of lines.
As someone that does this almost every week, I assure you that if you don't have bags and you have GE, the CBP person will just wave you through, 5-10 mins to gate, and then you're boarding! Coming from someone that prizes sleep above gate / lounge time.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kimmielou01
Hi all, I'm on a 7 am flight from Toronto Pearson to HNL, connecting thru DFW. I know customs will take place in Toronto -- How early should I be at the Airport? Is everything fully staffed at 4 or 5 am? Any other details I should know? I'm a US citizen. Thanks!
It all depends on the day of the week, the terminal you are departing from, your citizenship, and travel documents plus programs. Priority status on your airline, your ticketed cabin, the AmEx card that you have will also make a difference.
If it is Monday one can sometimes expect 2+hour lineups through security, US immigration if you do not have NEXUS/GE, and have checked bags.
US-bound bags require the bags to be tagged and then taken over to baggage drop where they are checked and photographed.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
It all depends on the day of the week, the terminal you are departing from, your citizenship, and travel documents plus programs. Priority status on your airline, your ticketed cabin, the AmEx card that you have will also make a difference.
If it is Monday one can sometimes expect 2+hour lineups through security, US immigration if you do not have NEXUS/GE, and have checked bags.
US-bound bags require the bags to be tagged and then taken over to baggage drop where they are checked and photographed.
Hi Tent, airline is American, flying business class, US citizen, Saturday, no NEXUS/GE, Amex Delta Platinum, will have checked bags. Flight leaves at 7 am, connecting thru DFW to HNL.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:11 am

US CBP reports on the average queuing times for the last seven days on their website:
https://pqt.cbp.gov/report/YYZ_3/01-19-2018

I believe pre-clearance opens at 4am.
Expat2001 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

As someone that does this almost every week, I assure you that if you don't have bags and you have GE, the CBP person will just wave you through, 5-10 mins to gate, and then you're boarding! Coming from someone that prizes sleep above gate / lounge time.
With bags and no GE?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jono
US CBP reports on the average queuing times for the last seven days on their website:
https://pqt.cbp.gov/report/YYZ_3/01-19-2018

I believe pre-clearance opens at 4am.
T3 is my YYZ terminal, 4:30 is the opening hours for the counter and it is also the same time the GE kiosk and the passport scan kiosk are booted up.
kimmielou01 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kimmielou01
Hi Tent, airline is American, flying business class, US citizen, Saturday, no NEXUS/GE, Amex Delta Platinum, will have checked bags. Flight leaves at 7 am, connecting thru DFW to HNL.
US passport ^
Premium cabin ^
No GE/Nexus and check bags will slow you down a bit.
As long as it is not a Monday morning I fell comfortable arriving 5-5:30

AA is T3, Same as DL:
  1. Check-in and get bags tagged at AA counter or Kiosk
  2. Take bags over to baggage acceptance where you place the bag on a conveyor, scan BP to match and the bag is weighted and photographed.
  3. Head to CATSA security. Show your BP and AmEx to get the priority line. (sometimes it might not be faster)
  4. Head to US CBP pre-clear, you need to show travel ID and BP.
  5. Scan BP to confirm your checked bags has been photographed for US CBP visual inspection
  6. Go to Kiosk where your PP is scanned, question answered and photo taken. You will be given a receipt which you will give to the US CBP agent
  7. You are then at the US pre-cpeared departure area. There is an Admiral's Club right pass the duty free mall you are forced to make your way through
HTH
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
US passport ^
Premium cabin ^
No GE/Nexus and check bags will slow you down a bit.
As long as it is not a Monday morning I fell comfortable arriving 5-5:30

AA is T3, Same as DL:
  1. Check-in and get bags tagged at AA counter or Kiosk
  2. Take bags over to baggage acceptance where you place the bag on a conveyor, scan BP to match and the bag is weighted and photographed.
  3. Head to CATSA security. Show your BP and AmEx to get the priority line. (sometimes it might not be faster)
  4. Head to US CBP pre-clear, you need to show travel ID and BP.
  5. Scan BP to confirm your checked bags has been photographed for US CBP visual inspection
  6. Go to Kiosk where your PP is scanned, question answered and photo taken. You will be given a receipt which you will give to the US CBP agent
  7. You are then at the US pre-cpeared departure area. There is an Admiral's Club right pass the duty free mall you are forced to make your way through
HTH
So helpful thank you
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:25 am

The long pole in this will always be bag drop. You need to have your bags through by T-60 mins. Sometimes the AA premium checkin is slow, so I think the 90 mins arrival guidance is good.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: NEXUS, Aeroplan, SkyMiles, WestJet, IHG Platinum, IC Ambassador
The long pole in this will always be bag drop. You need to have your bags through by T-60 mins. Sometimes the AA premium checkin is slow, so I think the 90 mins arrival guidance is good.
Not to mention that even with priority check-in, you can still end up waiting in a line at the automated bag drop and that one can end up adding 10 mins or so to your transition.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
What are the preclearance hours? My parents were flying YLW-YYZ-BOS today. YLW-YYZ flight was delayed 1.5 hours to 21:08; YYZ-BOS flight was delayed almost two hours to 22:45. Should be easy (they both have Nexus), but they found that Customs was closed. So they got to spend the night in Toronto at their expense for no good reason at all. Who is responsible for paying for/setting the hours of preclearance? Is it the airport? The airline? CBP?

Are the hours different for connections than for originating passengers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.