Reload this Page >

YYZ / Toronto Pearson Customs Preclearance to USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ / Toronto Pearson Customs Preclearance to USA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:34 am

​​​​​​​​​​We have GE and an AC flight YYZ-IAD leaving at 8 am on Monday morning (from terminal 1?). We have bags to check and no status. Any idea how early we need to be there? 6 am (earlier, later?).

Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Homer15
​​​​​​​​​​We have GE and an AC flight YYZ-IAD leaving at 8 am on Monday morning (from terminal 1?). We have bags to check and no status. Any idea how early we need to be there? 6 am (earlier, later?).
AC is T1. Check in online, I always allow two hours for YYZ preclearance, so would arrive 6am. Bag drop is pretty good easy if you use a kiosk or have status/flying J.

GE may make it faster. But it can be busy so I always allow 2h for US when dropping bags.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew out on Saturday March 31 on a flight with a 6:10 AM departure. I got to YYZ at about 4:45 AM and was through security and immigration in twenty minutes. CBP was well staffed at 5 AM and very easy to use.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I flew out on Saturday March 31 on a flight with a 6:10 AM departure. I got to YYZ at about 4:45 AM and was through security and immigration in twenty minutes. CBP was well staffed at 5 AM and very easy to use.
Can be lots more travellers to US at 8am Monday than 6am Saturday in my experience.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by CMK10
Originally Posted by jc94

Can be lots more travellers to US at 8am Monday than 6am Saturday in my experience.
You are seeing results of a middle Saturday of a long weekend with Friday off.

Saturday mornings can be deadly with kettles flying southbound for vacation and cruises. Especially at YYZ T3 with DL and AA flights to US.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
You are seeing results of a middle Saturday of a long weekend with Friday off.

Saturday mornings can be deadly with kettles flying southbound for vacation and cruises. Especially at YYZ T3 with DL and AA flights to US.
However in this case he question was 8am Monday from T1. In my albeit limited experience, that can be busy at certain times. I do prefer to play it safe and have normally either had or managed to get a lounge pass though. YYZ T1 standard wifi is pretty good even if just sat at the gate though.

Can you get there 60 mins before, drop bags before t-45 and get thru? Sure, it’s possible. Could it cause stress and a missed cut off? Yep, also true.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Anyone know what time pre clearance closes in terminal 1?

Ive got a 9p to ewr in a few weeks and want to know how late I can show up (olci/global/nexus)
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by entropy

Ive got a 9p to ewr in a few weeks and want to know how late I can show up (olci/global/nexus)
IIRC, pre-clearance closes at 9 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by entropy

My parents found pre clearance closed after a delayed domestic flight arrived at 21:08 back in February. Toronto Airport’s Twitter said US CBP is open 04:30-21:00. https://twitter.com/torontopearson/status/960737004383293441?s=21
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ashill

My parents found pre clearance closed after a delayed domestic flight arrived at 21:08 back in February. Toronto Airport’s Twitter said US CBP is open 04:30-21:00. https://twitter.com/torontopearson/s...383293441?s=21
This is why airlines, I know for certain Air Canada, will not post a delayed departure to the USA as later than 9 PM, regardless of how late it really is, to avoid this problem. They don't want people leaving the pre-clearance area and not be able to get back in.

I experienced this first hand earlier this year. My AC Jazz flight was delayed and delayed and delayed... left after midnight. However, AC would only show the departure as 9 PM (about an hour late). I asked the gate agent why the wrong info and she very specifically said it's to avoid people "not getting back in through pre-clearance".
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
This is why airlines, I know for certain Air Canada, will not post a delayed departure to the USA as later than 9 PM, regardless of how late it really is, to avoid this problem. They don't want people leaving the pre-clearance area and not be able to get back in.

I experienced this first hand earlier this year. My AC Jazz flight was delayed and delayed and delayed... left after midnight. However, AC would only show the departure as 9 PM (about an hour late). I asked the gate agent why the wrong info and she very specifically said it's to avoid people "not getting back in through pre-clearance".
That’s quite the opposite of what my parents experienced on Air Canada (see earlier in this thread). Their flight into YYZ was delayed to 21:08, but their YYZ-BOS connection was delayed to 22:30 (both weather), so they thought they’d be fine. They hustled to Customs only to find they had to pay for a hotel to watch their flight take off.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:34 am

That’s quite the opposite of what my parents experienced on Air Canada (see earlier in this thread). Their flight into YYZ was delayed to 21:08, but their YYZ-BOS connection was delayed to 22:30 (both weather), so they thought they’d be fine. They hustled to Customs only to find they had to pay for a hotel to watch their flight take off.
Was 22:30 the actual delay or the posted delay? My understanding, only from what the gate agent told me, is they won't post the delay as later than 21:00 regardless of what it really turns out to be. Either way, US CBP closes at 21:00 so that would explain why they got stuck.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Was 22:30 the actual delay or the posted delay? My understanding, only from what the gate agent told me, is they won't post the delay as later than 21:00 regardless of what it really turns out to be. Either way, US CBP closes at 21:00 so that would explain why they got stuck.
Almost certain it was the posted delay; I was monitoring the flight and saw before they landed that the connecting flight was delayed and therefore assumed they'd be fine. Totally asinine that they get stuck in that situation; it will make me not use Air Canada in the future, since there are options that don't involve that self-imposed risk.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:19 pm

Almost certain it was the posted delay; I was monitoring the flight and saw before they landed that the connecting flight was delayed and therefore assumed they'd be fine. Totally asinine that they get stuck in that situation; it will make me not use Air Canada in the future, since there are options that don't involve that self-imposed risk.
That's different than my experience at YYZ. I've not seen AC post a delayed departure as leaving later than 21:00 no matter how late they knew it would be. You mentioned this happened back in February so maybe they changed their practice on posting delays... or maybe they show something different online versus what they will display on terminal monitors.

You're definitely right about thinking twice about these itineraries that involve transborder connections that bump up toward US-CBP closing time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.