Calgary/Banff rental car & Costco questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calgary/Banff rental car & Costco questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There are two types of washer fluid in Canada: -40C and a higher one. Get the higher one with cleaning additive.
Recently during night of -25 and windchill of -35 to -40 the lower quality fluids will ice up or freeze.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Liquor prices vary state to state so I can’t say if it’s pricey in your state but generally liquor is more expensive in Canada.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Liquor prices vary state to state so I can’t say if it’s pricey in your state but generally liquor is more expensive in Canada.
DISLIKE
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Husband wants to get local beer and we usually try to find a local bourbon or whisky if we can. Not massive amounts, so a few dollars (US or CAD ;-) aren't probably going to make a difference....

I suppose I could always check duty free - we don't have at our airport but we're transiting MSP....
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Husband wants to get local beer and we usually try to find a local bourbon or whisky if we can. Not massive amounts, so a few dollars (US or CAD ;-) aren't probably going to make a difference....

I suppose I could always check duty free - we don't have at our airport but we're transiting MSP....
Your husband and I would make good friends:
There are definitely some Alberta Canadian Whiskey (rye) and local microbrew products that are worth trying at the local liquor store and beer stores.

Cheers!
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
generally liquor is more expensive in Canada.
Price of liquor at a bar is about the same between Canada and USA.

It's the cost of a half-sack or mickey at a store where the price differential is most apparent.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Yes, while looking at driving routes on Google maps, husband found a Canadian Tire and I noticed there's a Costco in the same shopping center and that's how this whole conversation started ;-) Just trying to figure out how many of our chores/tasks we can accomplish in one stop as we want to get up to Banff as quickly as we can :-)

I sure enjoy wandering the aisles of Canadian Tire. He may too Most liquor stores will be able to help you find local beer. There is a good brewery in Canmore that has nice beer that you will find all over Banff.

Costco is definitely your cheapest bet for lift tickets. Buy as many as you think you will need. They are very easy to sell on the hill if you end up with extra because you ski less than you thought.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:32 pm

Not far from the Costco that you'll be stopping at is Alberta's largest liquor store... sure you'll be able to find something local and good in there:

https://www.wineandbeyond.ca/Our-Stores
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Second the suggestion to go to Wine and Beyond. The Costco liquor store will mainly just carry the “big boring” brands. If it’s local you’re after, Wine and Beyond will have it all.

If you want local beer, stop at the Grizzly Paw in Canmore for some site crafted beers on the way into Banff.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

I will seek approval from The Boss to detour - sounds like a great store!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Here's what you want to look out for. I was at two different Costco's today and saw this display. If you assume the store entrance is the South point on a compass, the display was located on the West side of the floorplan near the freezers, in both locations.

Prices shown are for two adult tickets.......all you add is our 5% GST tax upon checkout.

FWIW I was an avid skier doing 90+ days at year and would recommend Sunshine Village first and Nakiska second. Lake Louise (or Lake Lousy as we locals call it) is a waste of time, both due to the extended drive from YYC, and lousy snow conditions, especially compared to Sunshine Village.

Last edited by KDS777; Jan 6, 2018 at 5:59 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by KDS777
Here's what you want to look out for. I was at two different Costco's today and saw this display. If you assume the store entrance is the South point on a compass, the display was located on the West side of the floorplan near the freezers, in both locations.

Prices shown are for two adult tickets.......all you add is our 5% GST tax upon checkout.

FWIW I was an avid skier doing 90+ days at year and would recommend Sunshine Village first and Nakiska second. Lake Louise (or Lake Lousy as we locals call it) is a waste of time, both due to the extended drive from YYC, and lousy snow conditions, especially compared to Sunshine Village.

Haha, I am not going to get into a Lake Louise vs. Sunshine debate, because it is 50/50% on which is better, but I think Lake Louise is about 1000 times better than Sunshine, and haven't heard of it referred to as Lake Lousy by many. Sunshine is also great and I respect both opinions on which ski hill is better. We are very very spoiled that we get to debate which hill is better between two world class ski hills. Some prefer Sunshine, some prefer Louise. But I would NOT even consider going to Nakiska over Lake Louise or Sunshine. It shouldn't even be on the radar.

As you can probably tell, us Calgarians become pretty emotional and devoted to our "home" hill and rarely venture to the competitor (I probably ski LL 30 times for every 1 at Sunshine, and I bet KDS is the opposite ).

However, now that I have a place in Fernie - that's where the real powder exists!! (When it doesn't rain, of course).
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Skiing isn't the main purpose of our trip; we're going to ski Lake Louise because of convenience ;-)

I went to grad school in Utah, started skiing there in junior high, so if you want to talk good powder.... :-) Yes, I understand devotion to "home hills".
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aside from costco, take a liok at groupon and travelzoo - some reasonable discounts there. I dont ski (aside from xcountry) but we got some decent discounts for tubing hill at norquay (iirc) near banff for the second year from there.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.