Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Baggage meltdown at new YYC terminal this aft

Old Dec 10, 17, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, UA ,WJ, HA

We are on Rouge 1889 to Maui this aft. We are now 2 hrs delayed. We have been told that a major issue with bag handling & X-ray system & border security has caused less than half the bags to be loaded.. we have been told if our bags don't arrive we will get them tomorrow. Assuming on the YVR flight tomorrow night. Fingers crossed we are one of the lucky few. They decided to forge on rather than cancel the flight.
Old Dec 10, 17, 9:24 pm

I hear from relatives that it was as bad or worse for inbound people.
A niece arrived on the Narita flight and after 4 hours CBSA allowed the baggage to be hand carried into the customs hall. Prior to that they were worried about not being able to x-ray the luggage.
Old Dec 10, 17, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E50, Marriott Titanium
Unfortunately, baggage problems seem to be the norm at the new YYC terminal, so not surprised to see this. The baggage delivery for inbound passengers has also been consistently slower than the old terminal and more error and break-down prone IMO, despite the fact that one of the reasons given for the 1 year delay on opening was to ensure the "state of the art" baggage system worked perfectly. While I had high hopes for it, I'd been consistently disappointed. Unfortunate to see so many stories of these types of messes at what should be a well-functioning new $2B terminal.
Old Dec 10, 17, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
Unfortunate to see so many stories of these types of messes at what should be a well-functioning new $2B terminal.
Yup. Gigantic waste of money.
YYC3722 and KDS777 like this.
Old Dec 10, 17, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Yup. Gigantic waste of money.
Could you please elaborate more?
Old Dec 10, 17, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Meep meep!
Old Dec 10, 17, 10:11 pm

Haha - OK, I'll bite. Baggage delivery times are abysmal, as mentioned earlier, long distances with the new moving walkways operational about 40% of the time, by my estimation, and of course, the joke of a golf cart service as the connection between terminals. They "forgot" to incorporate water stations into the original design, so had to spend a fortune to add them after the fact. And the CATSA Plus system that is supposed to be so good that they didn't need a Nexus lane, should be renamed to CATSA Minus, given that it seems to kick bins off to secondary for no reason whatsoever at an alarming frequency. The design is pretty blah with plenty of long hallways, cheap rubber flooring, and no visual interest. They spent tons of money in the areas where passengers don't spend their time, and cut corners in the areas that passengers actually care about. The YYC airport authority seems to be too busy patting themselves on the back for a job well done to understand the issues.

I'm sorry to hear that OP had to deal with the mess that is the new YYC terminal and that the "state of the art" baggage system is even delaying outbound flights, and not just inbound passengers anymore. As my home airport, I really hope it gets better, but it's a pretty sad state of affairs.
1Newflyer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 17, 10:28 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
As this isn't really an AC issue, moving to the Canada forum.
Old Dec 10, 17, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
Haha - OK, I'll bite. Baggage delivery times are abysmal, as mentioned earlier, long distances with the new moving walkways operational about 40% of the time, by my estimation, and of course, the joke of a golf cart service as the connection between terminals. They "forgot" to incorporate water stations into the original design, so had to spend a fortune to add them after the fact. And the CATSA Plus system that is supposed to be so good that they didn't need a Nexus lane, should be renamed to CATSA Minus, given that it seems to kick bins off to secondary for no reason whatsoever at an alarming frequency. The design is pretty blah with plenty of long hallways, cheap rubber flooring, and no visual interest. They spent tons of money in the areas where passengers don't spend their time, and cut corners in the areas that passengers actually care about. The YYC airport authority seems to be too busy patting themselves on the back for a job well done to understand the issues.

I'm sorry to hear that OP had to deal with the mess that is the new YYC terminal and that the "state of the art" baggage system is even delaying outbound flights, and not just inbound passengers anymore. As my home airport, I really hope it gets better, but it's a pretty sad state of affairs.
LOL. If you noticed my "wink" emoji to Adam Smith, and with his "meep meep" response, I already knew this.

But I definitely love a good YYC rant. ^
Old Dec 10, 17, 11:01 pm

LOL. If you noticed my "wink" emoji to Adam Smith, and with his "meep meep" response, I already knew this.

But I definitely love a good YYC rant. ^
Yes, I figured you were already in the know about how dysfunctional the new terminal is, but I could use a chance to vent before I go through the messed-up terminal again this week! ;-)
Old Dec 11, 17, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, UA ,WJ, HA
We were told that29 bags didn't make the flight. Oddly, none of the 3 departing WJ flights seemed to be affected as no announcements were made re baggage for them.
Old Dec 11, 17, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
As someone who is flying to YYC in a month and am now terrified, could you please tell a newbie which airlines use the "new" terminal? Or is it just ALL international flights? Eek....
Old Dec 11, 17, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Landed last night at YYC at 950 PM on UAL #1780 from IAH.

We sat on the tarmac at E85 for 15 minutes in perfectly clear weather because it looked like they only had one crew of bag smashers and ramp rats on duty. A Westjet 737 beside us was gated first and there were others as well, because the walk down the long hall to customs was like a sea of people leaving a sports arena after the big game. One of the newly added moving walkways was also shut off or broken again as well.

The non NEXUS customs line took 45 minutes (normally it is 5-10) and was about 4-6 bodies wide, and all the way outside the doors and up the sloped hallway to the corner. I cannot imagine the baggage wait times that these poor souls had to endure.

IMHO the new international terminal at YYC cannot be described accurately without directly violating the "Flyertalk Terms of Service" multiple times. It was and continues to be a disaster for anyone who knows better. I've been thru this white elephant about 12 times since it opened, and never seen such a mess as last night.

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
As someone who is flying to YYC in a month and am now terrified, could you please tell a newbie which airlines use the "new" terminal? Or is it just ALL international flights? Eek....
All international airlines and US incoming. Be forewarned that if you have difficulty walking long distances, you should request wheelchair assistance. I am in good shape, and it's quite the hike, especially if you park at gate E89/90.

Last edited by KDS777; Dec 12, 17 at 9:11 pm
Old Dec 13, 17, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
We're fine to walk, so no worries there - thanks! We're heading to Banff for skiing and general "winter wonderland" activities. Just worried about the car rental reservation, and how early we'll need to arrive for our departure now....
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Quick US-YYC-US connection

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm not sure how else to get the opinion of YYC experts otherwise. My post in the Canada forum has resulted in crickets for a week...

I'm looking for some sage advise about a quick turn at YYC later this year. I have investigated other threads in the Canada forum (OSS, US-CA-US threads), but it seems those are outdated when specifically talking about the new YYC international terminal.

The basic premise is that I would like to turn a mileage run at YYC and end up back on the plane on which I arrived. That means a connection time of as little as 45 minutes (although it is often 60+ minutes). I have already purchased the YYC-SEA leg as a part of another ticket. I am thus interested in purchasing the SEA-YYC leg. The main question is feasibility for YYC specifically. I have researched the YYC website a bit and it appears that I don't even need to go through CBSA (see attached image). And, even if I did, I have NEXUS. It would seem that I would go through a magic purple door that led me straight to the US security then US CBP (without even entering Canada!). NEXUS would also help there. I'll have just a small carry-on for this trip (so none of the above shenanigans at YYC).

Has anyone seen the magic purple signage/door? Is this feasible with the new setup at YYC? TIA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: