Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal or Quebec City for a couple days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,
I am thinking of doing a trip to NYC in October and thought I might like to tag on a visit to Canada as well.
I would be leaving from either LGA or HPN (Westchester County-not even sure that this is an option) and would like to visit either Montreal or Quebec City for a couple of days and then back to LAX.
I have been to Montreal but it was many years ago for a short trip but I loved it. I have never been to Quebec City. I am a single woman, experienced world traveler but still don't want to make things too hard on myself. I am not going to rent a car--hate to drive so easy to get around is important. I like shopping, museums, exploring neighborhoods and tourist sites etc. Any help on choosing which city to visit? Pros and cons?
Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi. If you've never been to Quebec, it's a charming first visit. Unique in North America.
Stay at the Frontenac and it's kind of a bucket list trip, if you're into that sort of thing. I like the smaller boutique hotels with great views of the Chateau. The old city is compact enough that a car is not needed. There's a Funicular between the lower and upper town. The airport is easy to navigate.
I'm a soak-in-the-ambience, wander around type of traveler, so I'll leave activity and tour recommendations to others. I can name a couple of good restaurants if you like.
Happy travels.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by corky
Hi,
I am thinking of doing a trip to NYC in October and thought I might like to tag on a visit to Canada as well.
I would be leaving from either LGA or HPN (Westchester County-not even sure that this is an option) and would like to visit either Montreal or Quebec City for a couple of days and then back to LAX.
I have been to Montreal but it was many years ago for a short trip but I loved it. I have never been to Quebec City. I am a single woman, experienced world traveler but still don't want to make things too hard on myself. I am not going to rent a car--hate to drive so easy to get around is important. I like shopping, museums, exploring neighborhoods and tourist sites etc. Any help on choosing which city to visit? Pros and cons?
Thanks!
One thing that may make a difference is the only one way flights to Quebec city from New York leave from EWR, I think.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Quebec City - no question, even if you do have to take a connecting flight through Montreal - it's worth it. Montreal is nice enough but is basically just like any other North American city, except that they speak French. Quebec City is a unique destination - it feels very European. Very easy to navigate without a car. Everything within the old city is walkable and the shopping malls are one easy bus away. Stay within the old city or in one of the hotels (Hilton or Delta) that are just outside the old city walls.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are both great IMO, and I have been to both multiple times.

Quebec City is more historic, and has a quaint feel to it. Should get some pretty colours at that time of year as well. Lots of nice interesting restaurants and bars, and it certainly has always seemed very safe to me. However, there isn't a huge ton of stuff to do in terms of museums, it is a more 'walk around and see the city' which is good if it is nice weather, not so much fun in the rain. There are some boat cruises you can take, and there are tours to Montmorency Falls. Shopping is largely touristy within the city walls. I've stayed at the Hilton and it was decent as was the Château Laurier.

Montreal, as you know, is much more a big city, however I do think the old town area is beautiful, and have been back several times. If it is good weather you have little boat cruises, tons of restaurants, nice bars with patios and courtyards etc. and lots of interesting things to see walking outside (like Mont Royal, St Joseph's, the old port, etc.) but also, importantly, it is a big city so if it tips it down with rain there are things to do inside as well (shopping, naturellement, biodome, museum of fine art etc). I like the InterContinental in Montreal, as it is close to both the old town and the metro, and they have always been generous with the upgrades for me. Decent wine in the club lounge too!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
UA flies direct EWR-YQB. DL flies there from JFK. Be aware of Canadian Thanksgiving weekend 7-9 October as it could impact fares and hotel rates. Quebec City is amazing, both inside and outside the fortifications. I second the suggestion about visiting Montmorency Falls. You can get there with a local city bus. Don't forget the museum at the top of the falls.
--
13F
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I was leaning towards Quebec City so now I have to figure out the logistics of getting there. I will be in Scarsdale so it would be a hassle to go to JFK or EWR but I can live with it. Getting home from QC to LAX might be a problem too.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Getting home shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of daily flights on Air Canada from Quebec ->Montreal or Toronto -> LAX
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
DL is ending JFK-YQB October 25th it appears, just to note: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...e-in-oct-2017/
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Hi. If you've never been to Quebec, it's a charming first visit. Unique in North America.
Stay at the Frontenac and it's kind of a bucket list trip, if you're into that sort of thing. I like the smaller boutique hotels with great views of the Chateau. The old city is compact enough that a car is not needed. There's a Funicular between the lower and upper town. The airport is easy to navigate.
I'm a soak-in-the-ambience, wander around type of traveler, so I'll leave activity and tour recommendations to others. I can name a couple of good restaurants if you like.
Happy travels.
I stayed at a boutique hotel called "Hotel 71", formerly a bank that was converted to a hotel. Loved it, great location, and had a beautiful view of Frontenac (whose rooms I heard were very dated and in need of a refresh at least in 2016).

I found it easier (and less expensive) to fly into Montreal for a couple of days, and then took the train to Quebec City. Was a very relaxing and enjoyable trip.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Much preferred Quebec City over Montreal. We stayed in private residences (not AirBnb but similar idea I believe) literally a stones throw from the wall and found location fine.

Worth maybe three days. Unless you take things real slow
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
I stayed at a boutique hotel called "Hotel 71", formerly a bank that was converted to a hotel. Loved it, great location, and had a beautiful view of Frontenac (whose rooms I heard were very dated and in need of a refresh at least in 2016).

I found it easier (and less expensive) to fly into Montreal for a couple of days, and then took the train to Quebec City. Was a very relaxing and enjoyable trip.
I just looked up the hotel...it's a bit pricey for my budget but it does look cool. I do like the idea of train to the other place.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:44 pm

I took the train from QC to Montreal. It was okay, a bit strange... had to be there about 30 mins early and queue up etc... Maybe it's a Canadian thing, I'm used to turning up, checking a board and getting on a train.

It wasn't especially memorable one way or the other. And was only a couple of years ago.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
I took the train from QC to Montreal. It was okay, a bit strange... had to be there about 30 mins early and queue up etc... Maybe it's a Canadian thing, I'm used to turning up, checking a board and getting on a train.

It wasn't especially memorable one way or the other. And was only a couple of years ago.
The train between Montreal and QC is neither quick nor scenic IMHO, but it was relaxing, enabled me to enjoy both cities easily and more affordably. I arrived at the station at only 15 minutes prior with luggage no less. No one said a peep to me about 30 minutes. Not asserting that the 30-minute arrival time to the station is incorrect, but that no one made any mention of that to me.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
The train between Montreal and QC is neither quick nor scenic IMHO, but it was relaxing, enabled me to enjoy both cities easily and more affordably. I arrived at the station at only 15 minutes prior with luggage no less. No one said a peep to me about 30 minutes. Not asserting that the 30-minute arrival time to the station is incorrect, but that no one made any mention of that to me.
I think Its about 3-4h, so yeah a bit slow. I didn't book the tickets but it did say that, I found it very odd so thought I'd mention it. That said, we just sat around waiting for a while so there was no clear need to be there that early!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.