Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

is there real high-speed internet at YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black

I'm in the US MLL and the wifi speed is not great. I'm trying to download a 3GB data archive from our server at work.

Does anyone know, is there anywhere at YYZ where one can get truly fast wifi?

I know I could download the archive really quickly over my iPhone's LTE connection but I'm afraid I'll go over my monthly data limit with Rogers.

thanks
Old May 15, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
That little magazine and paper store Relay. I had my phone on and it suddenly started to ping right out side of it. All my emails suddenly downloaded. I don't know if it finally turned "on" or the signal strength was better. I find MLL's to be good though for Wifi.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black
you mean YYZ free wifi just outside of relay stores? or you mean MLL wifi? I guess I was really asking, is there another network one can access besides the MLL network and the YYZ free network, one that provides truly fast bandwidth... even if paid
Old May 15, 2017, 2:26 pm
alc

Originally Posted by plgplg
you mean YYZ free wifi just outside of relay stores? or you mean MLL wifi? I guess I was really asking, is there another network one can access besides the MLL network and the YYZ free network, one that provides truly fast bandwidth... even if paid
I think if some hotspot is available (free or not), there will be enough people connected to it to make it slow. 3GB is a very large file on its own. Say you got a steedy 10MBps (that is 1.25 MB per sec download) you are looking at 41 minutes to download. But I don't think you will get that speed in the middle of the busy day at YYZ.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The wifi in YYZ TB MLL at least is good enough to FaceTime (it wasn't me) but I think trying to download a 3gb file is futile and to be honest may violate the ToU of whichever wifi you are using. I'm just guessing here, and worse case they'd probably just throttle you.

Free wifi, even in a lounge, is normally meant to be for limited use. I'll watch a YouTube trailer, but I wouldn't download large Netflix videos. Actually I did try once (it was maybe 200mb and had expired due to AC IRROPs) and it didn't work, that wasn't a *YYZ* MLL though.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I rather optimistically tried watching mlb.tv at the gate area of YUL last year. Results as expected.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
The wifi in YYZ TB MLL at least is good enough to FaceTime (it wasn't me) but I think trying to download a 3gb file is futile and to be honest may violate the ToU of whichever wifi you are using. I'm just guessing here, and worse case they'd probably just throttle you.

Free wifi, even in a lounge, is normally meant to be for limited use. I'll watch a YouTube trailer, but I wouldn't download large Netflix videos. Actually I did try once (it was maybe 200mb and had expired due to AC IRROPs) and it didn't work, that wasn't a *YYZ* MLL though.
I've downloaded TV/movies quite a bit in airports. I'm not saying it's always (or often) successful, but that's exactly the kind of thing I'd want to do with airport wifi.

I'm not opening 83 connections to download (and upload) a torrent, so the only way this negatively impacts someone else is if:
a) The wifi isn't fast enough
and b) They don't have proper QoS set up.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I find the public wifi at YYZ perfectly acceptable for regular use, but downloading a 3 gb file is not exactly reasonable.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Your phone will likely be your best bet.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Isn't the solution here finding one of the desktop computers in the MLL (if they still have them in YYZ), pulling the network cable surreptitiously, connecting to your laptop and going from there?
Old May 16, 2017, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
Isn't the solution here finding one of the desktop computers in the MLL (if they still have them in YYZ), pulling the network cable surreptitiously, connecting to your laptop and going from there?
It's been years since I've carried a laptop thick enough to have Ethernet. I don't even own a dongle.

Also, you're assuming that it's the wifi that's slow, and not the connection that powers it.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by plgplg
I'm in the US MLL and the wifi speed is not great. I'm trying to download a 3GB data archive from our server at work.

Does anyone know, is there anywhere at YYZ where one can get truly fast wifi?

I know I could download the archive really quickly over my iPhone's LTE connection but I'm afraid I'll go over my monthly data limit with Rogers.

thanks
I'm confused. What is a US MLL?
LGA? EWR? LAX?
Old May 16, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm confused. What is a US MLL?
LGA? EWR? LAX?
YYZ TB. Unless you were being ?
Old May 16, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
YYZ TB. Unless you were being ?
Ahh, the YYZ transborder MLL. No I was actually confused but I get it now.

If I was being it would be more obvious than that.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Since this thread isn't really talking about AC nor Aeroplan, moved to the Canada forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.