Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

is there real high-speed internet at YYZ?

is there real high-speed internet at YYZ?

Old May 15, 17, 1:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black
Posts: 207
is there real high-speed internet at YYZ?

I'm in the US MLL and the wifi speed is not great. I'm trying to download a 3GB data archive from our server at work.

Does anyone know, is there anywhere at YYZ where one can get truly fast wifi?

I know I could download the archive really quickly over my iPhone's LTE connection but I'm afraid I'll go over my monthly data limit with Rogers.

thanks
plgplg is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 1:54 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Providence RI
Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Posts: 988
That little magazine and paper store Relay. I had my phone on and it suddenly started to ping right out side of it. All my emails suddenly downloaded. I don't know if it finally turned "on" or the signal strength was better. I find MLL's to be good though for Wifi.
The smallest state is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 2:07 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black
Posts: 207
you mean YYZ free wifi just outside of relay stores? or you mean MLL wifi? I guess I was really asking, is there another network one can access besides the MLL network and the YYZ free network, one that provides truly fast bandwidth... even if paid
plgplg is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 2:26 pm
  #4  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
Originally Posted by plgplg View Post
you mean YYZ free wifi just outside of relay stores? or you mean MLL wifi? I guess I was really asking, is there another network one can access besides the MLL network and the YYZ free network, one that provides truly fast bandwidth... even if paid
I think if some hotspot is available (free or not), there will be enough people connected to it to make it slow. 3GB is a very large file on its own. Say you got a steedy 10MBps (that is 1.25 MB per sec download) you are looking at 41 minutes to download. But I don't think you will get that speed in the middle of the busy day at YYZ.
alc is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 6:13 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,609
The wifi in YYZ TB MLL at least is good enough to FaceTime (it wasn't me) but I think trying to download a 3gb file is futile and to be honest may violate the ToU of whichever wifi you are using. I'm just guessing here, and worse case they'd probably just throttle you.

Free wifi, even in a lounge, is normally meant to be for limited use. I'll watch a YouTube trailer, but I wouldn't download large Netflix videos. Actually I did try once (it was maybe 200mb and had expired due to AC IRROPs) and it didn't work, that wasn't a *YYZ* MLL though.
jc94 is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 6:16 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YHZ/YQM
Programs: none
Posts: 1,493
I rather optimistically tried watching mlb.tv at the gate area of YUL last year. Results as expected.
smallmj is online now  
Old May 15, 17, 8:39 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 35,265
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
The wifi in YYZ TB MLL at least is good enough to FaceTime (it wasn't me) but I think trying to download a 3gb file is futile and to be honest may violate the ToU of whichever wifi you are using. I'm just guessing here, and worse case they'd probably just throttle you.

Free wifi, even in a lounge, is normally meant to be for limited use. I'll watch a YouTube trailer, but I wouldn't download large Netflix videos. Actually I did try once (it was maybe 200mb and had expired due to AC IRROPs) and it didn't work, that wasn't a *YYZ* MLL though.
I've downloaded TV/movies quite a bit in airports. I'm not saying it's always (or often) successful, but that's exactly the kind of thing I'd want to do with airport wifi.

I'm not opening 83 connections to download (and upload) a torrent, so the only way this negatively impacts someone else is if:
a) The wifi isn't fast enough
and b) They don't have proper QoS set up.
canadiancow is offline  
Old May 16, 17, 1:33 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,445
I find the public wifi at YYZ perfectly acceptable for regular use, but downloading a 3 gb file is not exactly reasonable.
N1120A is offline  
Old May 16, 17, 5:51 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 3,283
Your phone will likely be your best bet.
ridefar is online now  
Old May 16, 17, 6:34 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: YYT
Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Posts: 737
Isn't the solution here finding one of the desktop computers in the MLL (if they still have them in YYZ), pulling the network cable surreptitiously, connecting to your laptop and going from there?
AtlanticXpat is offline  
Old May 16, 17, 10:17 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 35,265
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat View Post
Isn't the solution here finding one of the desktop computers in the MLL (if they still have them in YYZ), pulling the network cable surreptitiously, connecting to your laptop and going from there?
It's been years since I've carried a laptop thick enough to have Ethernet. I don't even own a dongle.

Also, you're assuming that it's the wifi that's slow, and not the connection that powers it.
canadiancow is offline  
Old May 16, 17, 4:38 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,408
Originally Posted by plgplg View Post
I'm in the US MLL and the wifi speed is not great. I'm trying to download a 3GB data archive from our server at work.

Does anyone know, is there anywhere at YYZ where one can get truly fast wifi?

I know I could download the archive really quickly over my iPhone's LTE connection but I'm afraid I'll go over my monthly data limit with Rogers.

thanks
I'm confused. What is a US MLL?
LGA? EWR? LAX?
yyznomad is offline  
Old May 16, 17, 5:06 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,609
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I'm confused. What is a US MLL?
LGA? EWR? LAX?
YYZ TB. Unless you were being ?
jc94 is offline  
Old May 16, 17, 5:43 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,408
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
YYZ TB. Unless you were being ?
Ahh, the YYZ transborder MLL. No I was actually confused but I get it now.

If I was being it would be more obvious than that.
yyznomad is offline  
Old May 17, 17, 12:00 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Posts: 8,090
Since this thread isn't really talking about AC nor Aeroplan, moved to the Canada forum.
Braindrain is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: