Wiki Posts
Search

Driving in Canada in the month of April

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Driving in Canada in the month of April

We're planning to drive from Vancouver, Whistler, Revelstoke, Banff, Columbia Icefields, to Calgary. How's the weather during the month of April? Will the roads be covered in snow? We're from a tropical country and don't have experience driving in snow. I have already driven through theses places, but during the month of June.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:07 am

You will be subject to the whims of Mother Nature!

It looks like (except for the Vancouver-Whistler there-and-back portion on the Sea-to-Sky Highway#99) you will be travelling primarily on the Trans-Canada Highway #1 . Subject to actual periods of snow, that highway is kept clear of snow and ice and thus will not be covered with snow.

I say subject to "actual periods of snow" because anything can happen on that road or any other mountain road in April including stuff like the following that just happened a few days ago on the Banff-Jasper Highway that you take to the Columbia Icefields:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...uise-1.4100869

Here is a little more about what the Government tries to do during 'avalanche season' (when you want to travel):

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/mtn/se...outes-highways

Particularly dangerous is the Rogers Pass area mentioned near the end of the article. During periods of snow you may not be allowed to proceed at all or sometimes only with chains on your tires.

Make sure you get a good weather forecast before heading into the area and check the Parks Canada website for updates regarding both weather and avalanche control work.

Last edited by ProudEdmontonian; May 14, 2017 at 9:21 am
Old May 14, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Would it be better in May?

I was hoping to take my kids to these places as I was overwhelmed when I went there last year. But our school here starts in June, so can only go during the months of April & May.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:06 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I think you have a slightly better chance of not having to drive through snow in May, but not 100%, especially in higher elevations.

Case in point - parts of New Hampshire and Maine, which are in a similar climate zone as some of the places you mentioned, just picked up several inches of snow in the last couple days. So it's not unheard of for it to snow like ProudEdmontonian described.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:56 pm
B1

You don't have to do all that driving to see worthwhile things. Use Calgary as your base and then drive to Banff and Kananaskis if the weather permits. If the weather is good, you can add on Jasper. The risk is always day to day. I was in California during late March a few years ago in the Yosemite area and roads were closed by snow storms and rock slides. Weather is predictable if you ask if it is snowing at the moment. If you are based in Vancouver, you can take the train to Calgary.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:47 am

No Train from Vancouver to Calgary (Only to Banff)

There is no regularly scheduled train that goes all the way to Calgary from Vancouver. There is luxury limited service to Banff. They offer shuttle service to Calgary which is only 86 miles away.

https://www.canadianrockiestrains.co...uver-to-banff/

VIA Rail (which is the trans-Canadian rail service) goes along the CN Mainline through the Yellowhead Pass to Jasper from Vancouver (or, better yet, as far as the wonderful City of Edmonton!). These prices are far more reasonable!

http://www.viarail.ca/en/deals/vancouver-jasper

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Going back to your original plan, you can still do the driving you want but it is always subject to weather conditions. Contact the Canadian Automobile Association for route alternatives as well as driving travel tips to assist you in preparing for winter conditions and stops.

https://www.caa.ca/
Old May 17, 2017, 1:01 pm
B1

Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian
There is no regularly scheduled train that goes all the way to Calgary from Vancouver. There is luxury limited service to Banff. They offer shuttle service to Calgary which is only 86 miles away.
That's true - VIA does offer connecting bus service on their site.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

I guess I shouldn't take this risk especially on a vacation.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by boybi
I guess I shouldn't take this risk especially on a vacation.
If you come in mid-May you should be fine! It is beautiful out in the mountains right now!! It could snow early in May but the risk is pretty low for most areas you listed and it may just be flurries so it will melt fairly quickly. Yes, the weather is unpredictable however it's not like snows here every May!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.