Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Non-Nexus Family members thru CATSA with me at YVR pre-clearance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Nexus

Hi - Long time lurker - first time poster. Am travelling YLW-YVR-SEA-JFK-STT in November (trust me, it's the the best routing I could get).

Here's my question for you fine folks - I know in Canada DOM departures, my wife (I'm the only one in the family who has Nexus) can be with me in the CATSA Nexus / Trusted Traveler security lineup.

From the CATSA website : Trusted Travellers include:
.blah
.blah
.blah
.blah..... and
those accompanying these trusted travellers on the same flight.

If I'm going thru CATSA security in US Connections at YVR (before I get to US Immigration/CBP), can my wife still accompany me thru the trusted traveler security checkpoint. I realize that once thru we'll both need to line up for regular processing (unless she's been sniping at me, at which point I'll just rock up myself to the Nexus / GE kiosk)

Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: several
I have been quite embarrassed before at a very busy YVR Domestic security when we attempted that. I showed my card and the first CATSA agent sent us both down the Nexus lane, but once we got to the 2nd, my non-Nexus-holding wife could not produce one, we both had to exit and go to the back of the long line. It was somewhat humiliating! I guess it depends on who's in charge, but don't expect guaranteed access.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: several
...although it used to work for me whilst travelling with my young children alone! (under-10's)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I have to say that the policy of CATSA is not consistent and I have seen the agents be *very* aggressive that everyone presents a GE/NEXUS card. They don't get that some people who get GE through other trusted traveler programs don't get the physical card and certainly not any policy that they seem to know at YYZ about "those accompanying".

If you want to chance it, maybe printout from the website. But I wouldn't count on getting it based on personal experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.