Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Halifax / Nova Scotia - what to do?

Old Mar 25, 17, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC

Contemplating a quick getaway with the wife in mid-May after she finishes up an offsite, and we've been throwing out a number of spots. I threw out Halifax, partially because I know the seafood has to be amazing (I think?), with the added bonus that I can fly EWR-YHZ nonstop on UA with good timing. However, I was curious - what else is there to do in terms of outdoor/physical activities? From my research, Nova Scotia, outside of Cape Breton (which is far away from Halifax) is the highest point in the province, and the rest of the province is very flat - which precludes any serious hiking.

The other considerations are Portland, ME (have been here multiple times, so we know what we are getting into) and Burlington, VT (was here only for a bachelor party, so my memories are extremely hazy).
Old Mar 25, 17, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
No part of Nova Scotia is flat. Any coastal hike might take you only from 0-30', but it will happen 10 times per mile.

If you want to remain in Halifax, there are a lot of trips you can get to and back in a day. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ca...scotia/halifax seems as good a resource as any.

A bit further of a drive (but still an OK day trip) would be https://www.alltrails.com/explore/tr...pe-split-trail

Mid-may won't be warm, but some of the sea kayak places may be open.
Old Mar 25, 17, 4:50 pm
B1

Just outside Halifax there's a lovely hike at Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park in Sambro. The most spectacular day hike I've experienced near Halifax is in Taylor Head Provincial Park on the coast to the east. Follow the peninsula on a spectacular and wild perimeter hike. I would get away from Halifax - the province is full of spectacular scenery and some very mountainous park regions inland. The seafood is okay but there are many other things...
Old Mar 26, 17, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
things to do in Halifax

The first thing you need to know about YHZ is the airport is a LONG way from the city. Something about fog. Plan to rent a car - or - take the shuttle bus. (You will travel across a toll bridge from Dartmouth).

Peggy's Cove is a delight. There is a memorial erected there to Swissair 111. Also, I recommend Pier 21 - celebrates immigration!

Note that May 22 is a public holiday (Victoria Day).

Last edited by Antonio8069; Mar 26, 17 at 7:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 17, 11:02 am

Programs: AC E50 / Marriott Gold Elite
I love Halifax. I will warn you though as someone originally from the East coast that May is a bit of a roulette game when it comes to the weather. You may have moderate sunny weather, but also a strong chance you'll have 5 degrees, rain drizzle and thick fog for the duration of your visit. If I was planning a Halifax getaway, I'd focus on the months of July-October, especially if I was planning to do outdoor activities. It's not as likely to be as bad as St. John's where I'm from, but it isn't as far off as people like to think!
Old Mar 31, 17, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Tickets booked! Next question...any strong preferences on where to stay? The Prince George looks pretty centrally located and has reasonable prices.
Old Apr 1, 17, 12:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Tickets booked! Next question...any strong preferences on where to stay? The Prince George looks pretty centrally located and has reasonable prices.
I'll suggest the Marriott Waterfront or the Westin. They both sit on the waterfront (or almost in the Westin's case) and I personally enjoyed the great harbour views from there as well as handy access to the boardwalk.

If you go with the Prince George just know that there's a construction site that's on the next block. It seems to be wrapping up the exterior construction so maybe it's not too bad now but I stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn last year and the first time there was some noise issues but luckily I had a better room the second time!

Hope you have a great time!
Old Apr 1, 17, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
more advice

I would avoid the Westin - esp. if they are comparably priced. Its an older property and there is nothing distinguishable about its architecture.
NB If you like older properties and park access, I recommend the Lord Nelson.

Sticking with the Marriott brand, I like both Delta Halifax's (they are across the street from one another). Depends on your upgrade status? (Do they comp brekkie for Golds?).

Ironically, the Courtyard has better ratings than the Marriott. Final point......the Halifax waterfront is nothing to write home about. Views may be more valuable than proximity.
Old Apr 2, 17, 10:37 am
Original Poster

I would be most interested in proximity to where things are (presumably downtown?) and a modern hotel that doesn't feel cheaply done. The second point goes to the fact that I have been to some new hotels that feel really cheaply put together...an example of this would be the Hampton Inn in Bar Harbor, or the renovated Westin in Portland ME.
Old Apr 3, 17, 10:32 am

Programs: AC E50 / Marriott Gold Elite
I would be most interested in proximity to where things are (presumably downtown?) and a modern hotel that doesn't feel cheaply done. The second point goes to the fact that I have been to some new hotels that feel really cheaply put together...an example of this would be the Hampton Inn in Bar Harbor, or the renovated Westin in Portland ME.
I have stayed at the Delta Barrington a few times, centrally located, hard to go wrong with a Delta IMO.
Old Apr 4, 17, 9:01 pm
B1

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite View Post
I have stayed at the Delta Barrington a few times, centrally located, hard to go wrong with a Delta IMO.
The Delta Halifax is a bit nicer and has a good view. My old favorite is the Westin - it's the old railroad hotel, also with nice views - a bit farther from the core but near the farmer's market and immigration museum. I used to get it by bidding on Priceline for 4* at very low prices when there was no big group staying there. Neither is a new property - Cambridge Suites is nice if you want a newer place that is solid.
Old Apr 7, 17, 12:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
For proximity the Prince George is probably one of the most centrally located hotels with quick access to Citadel Hill, Spring Garden Road and the waterfront. I find downtown Halifax (between Robie Street and the waterfront) to be small enough that any hotel you choose will be within walking distance to most things to be honest.

I can't think of a 'bad/old' hotel in downtown Halifax. The Radisson on Hollis St. wasn't very good years ago but it has since been renovated and re-branded to a Double Tree Hilton. The Atlantica would probably be last on my list mainly for its location.
Old Apr 12, 17, 10:32 pm

Programs: several
The Prince George is a great hotel; arguably the best in the city.
Old Apr 20, 17, 9:27 am

Order the free Doers and Dreamers travel guide from:
http://www.novascotia.com/travel-guide

Most touristy things outside of Halifax are closed for the season until the University students are done in May- so check ahead.

www.novascotia.com can be a launch point for booking accommodation as well. just read reviews of the places on tripadvisor before committing.

Recommend you visit Peggy's Cove and Mahone Bay for the fishing village experience only 1 hour from downtown.
Citadel Hill National Park is interesting- as is Pier 21 National historic site.
The Keith's brewery tour is fun.
If you miss Peggy's Cove you can also stop at Fisherman's Cove in Eastern Passage just 10 minutes down the road from John's Lunch.

To get a cheap view of Halifax you can take the public transit ferry on a return trip.

For a place the locals go for Clams and Chips, you can drive or take the "Woodside Passenger Ferry" from Halifax to Woodside where there is a little place called John's Lunch.
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...artmouth+hours

An authentic Maritime music evening at the bar can be had evenings at "The Lower Deck".
http://www.lowerdeck.ca/pub.html

Other Halifax Specialties are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_the_Spud_(chip_truck)
or
King of Donair
http://www.kingofdonair.ca/locations-2/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: