Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hiking in British Columbia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Hiking in British Columbia

I am planning a summer trip to British Columbia (i have done some hiking in the UK) and will have 5-6 days free with which I would like to do some hiking.
Are there any (gentle) hiking enthusiasts who can provide some pointers.
- I'm looking for a 5 - 6 day hiking trip that allows me to take in the sights (so it's not rushed) -- any suggestions for trails? (Ending around Vancouver)
- What is the etiquette for campsites? I assume I have to bring my own tent? Or are there cabins for me to stay in?
--- obviously this is a starting point so if anyone has anything I should be aware of, I'd be most obliged.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
There's a good Vancouver (& BC) Hiking forum here -

http://forums.clubtread.com/

...they'll likely be keen to answer your questions ("British Columbia - Mainland" means "Around Vancouver").

There's a good list of trails here, along with descriptions -

http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/

Finally, take a look at -

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouverhiking

Last edited by gglave; Sep 29, 2015 at 1:15 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:34 pm

I'm not really a hiker so just some general hiking info that I've vaguely heard about to help drum up ideas:

I'm thinking hiking part of the TransCanada trail might be something that falls within your spec.

There are a number of daytrip hikes in and around the North Shore mountains and watershed area. I've never done them myself but you regularly hear about North Shore Search and Rescue having to get hikers that aren't prepared for the hikes or get stuck.

I think one of the hiking jewels of BC is the Westcoast Trail on Vancouver Island. Not sure if this fits your criteria and it sounds pretty challenging. It's pretty popular such that you need to reserve a entry to hike it.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Jay71
I think one of the hiking jewels of BC is the Westcoast Trail on Vancouver Island. Not sure if this fits your criteria and it sounds pretty challenging. It's pretty popular such that you need to reserve a entry to hike it.
Very popular, and you do NEED a reservation.

Out in the boonies and away from civilization (and I mean that in a good way), but that part of BC is very nice.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If you want to do day hikes (and use public transportation so you don't have to shuttle back and forth), you can do part of the Baden-Powell trail that goes along the foot of the mountains of North Vancouver. A few good other round-trip day hikes requiring your own transport is Mt Seymour, (and also the trails in and around Lynn Canyon but they're relatively short) - both in North Vancouver, and if you are up for the challenge, the Lions (accessible from a trail head in Lions Bay and also from Cypress Mountain in West Vancouver).

There are a lot of hikes in the Squamish area (Alice Lake for one) in addition, as well as Garibaldi Lake/Black Tusk up in Whistler, and there's also Joffre lakes outside Pemberton.

As for camping gear, yes you have to bring your own. Not sure if you can rent locally (you certainly can buy). Not much in the way of cabins except at private campgrounds though some trails such as Alice Lake do have communal shelters - but I can't vouch if the inn won't be full.

West Coast Trail (and Cape Scott trail) are multi-day hikes on Vancouver Island that require you to carry all your gear and food - there's nothing out there, not even cabins or shelters. You also need to consider transportation to/from the trail heads (available) as they are one-way (unless you really want to do a round trip).
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You also need to consider transportation to/from the trail heads (available) as they are one-way (unless you really want to do a round trip).
Pretty darn sure West Coast Trail used to be one way only - doubt this has changed. And when I was in Victoria a few weeks ago saw quite a few vans with company names indicating they will take you to WCT.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
If you want to do day hikes (and use public transportation so you don't have to shuttle back and forth), you can do part of the Baden-Powell trail that goes along the foot of the mountains of North Vancouver. <snip>
Baden-Powell is a nice hike. I did that as part of a team building event a few years back.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:03 am
B1

My best hiking has been south of Whistler in the Squamish area to Black Tusk and on Vancouver Island near Courtenay in Strathcona Park - the trails there are amazingly scenic - with lakes and mountains in reasonable access from the Mt. Washington ski area parking lot. You can stay there as a base. The mountains are high but not so much that you can't get to the summits and the views are of the mountain ranges and the sea. I was impressed with the excellent trail maintenance and routing and the signs. I would love to go back. There are hiking guides for all the different areas and you should buy one and plan well ahead. Weather is always an issue - it rains and snows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.