US to US Connection at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle

An ORD-based friend is doing a MR to NRT to meet me for 24 hours in Tokyo in October. He bought a AA YYZ-ORD-NRT-ORD-YYZ RT fare and is planning to purchase a connecting flight ORD-YYZ to position (and then not take final connecting leg ORD-YYZ on the return).

He can buy a ticket ORD-YYZ on the same aircraft that turns around and makes the first leg of the trip to NRT (AA doesn't have a lot of flights to YYZ, so its always the same aircraft that does ORD-YYZ-ORD). The "Transit" time in YYZ is 50 minutes. My question is -- is this a legal option? Assuming he has done online check-in for the YYZ-NRT trip, any reason he shouldn't be able to make this connection? Can you get off the plane in YYZ in the transborder area and get onto another plane without clearing customs and immigration? If it looks like it would go south before leaving ORD (delayed flight), he would probably be able to make arrangements with AA to just start the trip at ORD instead. Or am I missing something? Advice welcome.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Ironically it's the "Chicago Conference" that makes this illegal.

Forgetting legality of the situation I would find myself uncomfortable with the limits of the flight plan. If your friend's ORD-YYZ is delayed making your friend unable to get to the YYZ-ORD flight in time to meet the ORD-NRT flight your friend's entire ticket can and will be canceled. If I were in this situation I would fly the night before on any airline and stayover. Actually I'd fly over on the MDW-YTZ for the PD experience. It's a great short flight and flying into the downtown airport is much nicer than into YYZ.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:32 pm

There is no US to US set up for connections at YYZ as no airlines can legally sell that type of ticket. So Canadian immigration will have to be cleared and then after that one will have to proceed to US preclearance for the flight back to ORD.

Quite honestly believing that your friend will turn on the same aircraft in 50 minutes is ludicrous at best, nevermind that these are seperate tickets so there is no protection on the second flights if they miss them from the original flight being late. If the inbound flight is late, presuming it is the same plane for the outbound, AA will do everything to turn the flight quickly to minimize the delay.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Ironically it's the "Chicago Conference" that makes this illegal.
Originally Posted by industry_killer
There is no US to US set up for connections at YYZ as no airlines can legally sell that type of ticket.
Actually it is not illegal for a US carrier to sell such a ticket - it is just so impractical that they don't. It would be illegal for a Canadian carrier to sell such a ticket. A corresponding Canada to Canada itinerary with a connection in the US would be legal (but impractical) for a Canadian carrier to sell, but illegal for a US carrier to sell.

For some examples:
A US carrier can sell: SEA-YYZ-BOS (Origin and Destination in US, connection in Canada)
A US carrier can't sell: YVR-ORD-YYZ (Origin and Destination in Canada, connection in US)

A Canadian carrier can sell: YVR-ORD-YYZ (Origin and Destination in Canada, connection in US)
A Canadian carrier can't sell: SEA-YYZ-BOS (Origin and Destination in US, connection in Canada)
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
The real question is can your friend use the int'l transit desk upon arrival or will he need to clear customs/immigration?

In T1 there's a special line for international transfer before immigration but I've never tried it for a US arrival-to-US departure connection. In theory this would be perfectly legal but I wouldn't bet my MR on it (this lane is often closed). My guess is he'll have to clear customs and US pre-clearance and go back thru security.

If he has NEXUS then he can probably still do a 50 min connection even if he has to go thru immigration (I've done it myself) but that would be very, very tight.

Also, AA operates out of Terminal 3 which is bit more byzantine than T1. Lines can get extremely long depending on time of day.

Last edited by mrswirl; Sep 3, 2015 at 4:43 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:52 pm

no as that is for us to international to go us to us one has to clear cbsa and then us preclearance
then clear screening
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks all for the advice. I'll suggest he fly in the night before.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
No you cannot go from ITNL arrival directly to US departure in T3 where AA operates from. There is no separation of arrival pax from US, they are all INTL.

Procedure will be arrival, clear CBSA immigration and customs, head to US departure, clear US CBP immigration/customs(same), clear CATSA security.

50 minutes, Fuhgeddaboudit!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I purchased a sale fare YYZ-SIN-YYZ via SFO and added on leg from NYC at each end so will fly NYC-YYZ-SFO-SIN and the same on return. The NYC-YYZ-SFO legs are on Air Canada and in terminal 1. Has anyone done this in Toronto and what kind of connection times will I need? I am concerned now with the return since the SFO-YYZ changed to later thus cutting into my connection time for my YYZ-NYC flight.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dogloverjb
I purchased a sale fare YYZ-SIN-YYZ via SFO and added on leg from NYC at each end so will fly NYC-YYZ-SFO-SIN and the same on return. The NYC-YYZ-SFO legs are on Air Canada and in terminal 1. Has anyone done this in Toronto and what kind of connection times will I need? I am concerned now with the return since the SFO-YYZ changed to later thus cutting into my connection time for my YYZ-NYC flight.
You might have your bags transferred but sometimes if the first check in is by contracted agents you might not.

All Int'l arrival to US will be subjected to US CBP and CATSA security checks.
The lineup for these depends on the day of the week and the time of that day that you are flying and what is your layover time.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
You might have your bags transferred but sometimes if the first check in is by contracted agents you might not.

All Int'l arrival to US will be subjected to US CBP and CATSA security checks.
The lineup for these depends on the day of the week and the time of that day that you are flying and what is your layover time.
We have 2 hr 40 mins on the outbound and only 1 hr 20 mins on the return due to the schedule change. We arrive from SFO at 7:40pm and are on the last flight out to NYC at 9pm. I am hoping that it all being on Air Canada and being that late will help.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dogloverjb
We have 2 hr 40 mins on the outbound and only 1 hr 20 mins on the return due to the schedule change. We arrive from SFO at 7:40pm and are on the last flight out to NYC at 9pm. I am hoping that it all being on Air Canada and being that late will help.
​​​​​​2h40. Is comfortable, 1:20m is tight.
9pm flight to NYC is last flight of the day/night. Remember you are on separate tickets and plan for worst case scenario.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
​​​​​​2h40. Is comfortable, 1:20m is tight.
9pm flight to NYC is last flight of the day/night. Remember you are on separate tickets and plan for worst case scenario.
It is all booked on the same ticket. But I had to do it via mulit-destination option since no search would return this routing! I am prepared to miss it but hoping for the best!!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Can i through check my bags on this trip (its all on one PNR)
Depart San Antonio, TX to Toronto, Canada

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

5:04 AM-6:12 SAT-DFW
6:59 AM-11:05 AM DFW-YYZ
Depart Toronto, Canada to Chicago, IL

7:55 PM -8:56 PM YYZ-ORD
Depart Chicago, IL to Minneapolis/St Paul, MN

9:55 PM-11:25 PM ORD-MSP

Last edited by Daniel Solis; Mar 28, 2018 at 11:13 am Reason: CLEANUP
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. You will need to pass Canadian Customs on arrival at YYZ from DFW and then US Customs at YYZ enroute to ORD. Other factors include not just same PNR, but whether you are on one ticket and if not on one ticket, what carrier(s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.