FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Winnipeg-Manila nonstop rumours (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1697195-winnipeg-manila-nonstop-rumours.html)

yuma santos Jul 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Winnipeg-Manila nonstop rumours

deleted

zorn Jul 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by yuma santos (Post 25163254)
Aloha, another lurker here:)

someone in my community claims to have heard from someone with ties to the airport authority that there is a Canadian airline coming out with a Winnipeg to Manila nonstop. Is this rouge? Certainly woudln't be Air Transat or "New Leaf"? any thoughts?

Welcome to Flyertalk.

It is perhaps within the realm of possibility for there to be a direct flight between Winnipeg and Manila.

But a non-stop flight? That seems unlikely.

Dorian Jul 23, 2015 4:26 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ines-1.2669608

Adam Smith Jul 23, 2015 4:29 pm

I initially scoffed at this a bit, but then did a bit of Googling and there was actually some press last year about the potential for a direct between the two (although didn't clarify whether it would be non-stop). I found it interesting that this article mentioned that 35,000 people a year travel between the two places. Even if you assume that includes both directions, 17,500 people a year might be able to support a weekly flight, or more frequently if it does a stop at YVR.

But I'd suspect it would more likely be Philippine Airlines than a Canadian airline that would take this on.

yuma santos Jul 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith (Post 25163335)
I initially scoffed at this a bit, but then did a bit of Googling and there was actually some press last year about the potential for a direct between the two (although didn't clarify whether it would be non-stop). I found it interesting that this article mentioned that 35,000 people a year travel between the two places. Even if you assume that includes both directions, 17,500 people a year might be able to support a weekly flight, or more frequently if it does a stop at YVR.

But I'd suspect it would more likely be Philippine Airlines than a Canadian airline that would take this on.

I agree with you. Westjet also came up besides rouge - would their 767 even be able to do this nonstop? In-between their Winnipeg-Gatwick flights? weird, never caught that CBC article, thanks for sharing.

Jasper2009 Jul 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Wow, hard to believe there is more O/D traffic between YWG and MNL than YWG and LHR, for instance. (at least according to the article)

But IMO the daily YVR-MNL flight is perfectly adequate, connecting in YVR is pretty straight-forward and the time savings of a non-stop flight would be minimal. And I doubt the yields on that route are particularly high.

yuma santos Jul 23, 2015 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 25163386)
Wow, hard to believe there is more O/D traffic between YWG and MNL than YWG and LHR, for instance. (at least according to the article)

But IMO the daily YVR-MNL flight is perfectly adequate, connecting in YVR is pretty straight-forward and the time savings of a non-stop flight would be minimal. And I doubt the yields on that route are particularly high.

may be it is indeed Westjet then, circling this in-between YWG LGW once a week or so.

tcook052 Jul 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by yuma santos (Post 25163398)
may be it is indeed Westjet then, circling this in-between YWG LGW once a week or so.

I would doubt WS would fly YWG - MNL even if their 767's would have the range which I don;t believe they do.

Dorian Jul 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 25163432)
I would doubt WS would fly YWG - MNL even if their 767's would have the range which I don;t believe they do.

Shouldn't this thread be located elsewhere?

yuma santos Jul 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 25163449)
Shouldn't this thread be located elsewhere?

sorry for intruding your private forum and deviating from the complaining. I'll head over to the west jet club

Bonaventure Jul 23, 2015 5:02 pm

I would be flabbergasted if YWG got a direct route. Can't possibly see any feed wanting to connect in YWG over YVR, or this route being economic, even for PR.

Adam Smith Jul 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by yuma santos (Post 25163374)
I agree with you. Westjet also came up besides rouge - would their 767 even be able to do this nonstop? In-between their Winnipeg-Gatwick flights? weird, never caught that CBC article, thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 25163432)

Range YWG-MNL: 11,900 km

Range of 763 with winglets (according to AC Rouge, can't be far off WS's): 10,549 km

So, no.

canadiancow Jul 23, 2015 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 25163386)

Manila is our largest international market, if you take out other Caribbean and Mexico destinations.
And I'm the most awesome member of FT, if you take out other users who have vowels in their names.

Stranger Jul 23, 2015 5:11 pm

You sure it's not Churchill to MNL?

Jasper2009 Jul 23, 2015 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 25163527)
And I'm the most awesome member of FT, if you take out other users who have vowels in their names.

:D

Yeah, but if I'm not missing anything, the article still argues YWG-MNL has more O/D traffic than any other int'l destination outside NA - which still surprises me.