FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Montreal airport overnight lay over (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1676608-montreal-airport-overnight-lay-over.html)

milemission Apr 30, 2015 11:49 pm

Montreal airport overnight lay over

We will need to have a layover at Montreal airport, arrive at 5PM and will catch a morning flight the next day. Would anyone recommend a good hotel near the airport? Do we have time to visit the city? Thank you!

ABG May 3, 2015 8:08 am

Dinner downtown at one of Montreal's many amazing places is easy.... then head back to the airport to sleep. Marriott is directly connected to the terminal. Sheraton and A-Loft are very close by as a shuttle choice

wahooflyer May 4, 2015 7:37 am

I've stayed at a hotel near YUL airport before (the Holiday Inn on Cote de Liesse) and it was miserable. Much of the area around the airport is industrial - not much to see unless you go into the city.

I'd recommend using the 747 express bus to go to and from downtown, and stay at a hotel in the city. You arrive early enough to make that a worthwhile option.

YUL May 4, 2015 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer (Post 24762182)
I've stayed at a hotel near YUL airport before (the Holiday Inn on Cote de Liesse) and it was miserable. Much of the area around the airport is industrial - not much to see unless you go into the city.
I'd recommend using the 747 express bus to go to and from downtown, and stay at a hotel in the city. You arrive early enough to make that a worthwhile option.

Agree that the HI on Cote de Liesse is miserable (but really cheap). Nevertheless, I also agree with ABG that the Marriott (directly connected to the terminal) + Sheraton & A-Loft (nearby) are very good choices, and are risk free for your morning flight.

The 747 express bus is a superb service; I'm just not sure about rush hours. Does it use a reserved lane?

Bon séjour à Montréal! ^

bigjon94 May 5, 2015 10:12 am

Originally Posted by YUL (Post 24764289)
Agree that the HI on Cote de Liesse is miserable (but really cheap). Nevertheless, I also agree with ABG that the Marriott (directly connected to the terminal) + Sheraton & A-Loft (nearby) are very good choices, and are risk free for your morning flight.

The 747 express bus is a superb service; I'm just not sure about rush hours. Does it use a reserved lane?

Bon séjour à Montréal! ^

the 747 does not use a reserved lane (except maybe on Rene Levesque).

ls17031 May 9, 2015 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by bigjon94 (Post 24768956)
the 747 does not use a reserved lane (except maybe on Rene Levesque).

It does most certainly use the reserved lane on A-20 between 55th and 1st Avenues in Lachine when traveling eastbound.

B1 May 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Dorval (YUL) is close to downtown and you can have a lovely evening in Montreal. Check Priceline's Express Deals or Expedia.ca for Downtown East of West. The airport area has nothing to recommend it and nowhere to go. If it's the middle of the winter, staying at the airport avoids the chance of a snowstorm blocking traffic.
As an aside, because YUL is so close to town, it can't expand and the government solved the expansion issue by building Mirabel on a distant farm field. After the airlines gave up on Mirabel because no one wanted to go there, it was used for movie sets for Tom Hanks and test flights for Bombardier.

DanJ May 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by B1 (Post 24795339)
After the airlines gave up on Mirabel because no one wanted to go there, it was used for movie sets for Tom Hanks and test flights for Bombardier.

It also handles a lot of cargo.