FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Bringing beer into Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1638718-bringing-beer-into-canada.html)

enviroian Dec 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Bringing beer into Canada

I'm flying LHR-YVR on January 1st. I read I can bring up to 1 case of beer duty free. All I really want to do is pack a six pack of pint cans in my suitcase and check it in at lhr. Is that okay? Do I still need to write down I'm bringing in the beer on the entry card?

Thanks

industry_killer Dec 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Yes you need to declare your limits.

Bogwoppit Dec 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Yes declare or they will fine you or take it away.

enviroian Dec 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks for the info. Is there a place to write this on the entry form? Once I declare this I can still go through the green nothing to declare lane?

LondonElite Dec 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Just don't worry too much about it. No one cares about such a small amount.

braffy Dec 19, 2014 5:34 pm

The Canadian customs form will mention the personal limits and ask you to declare whether you are over the limits. Since you are under the limit, you'll just indicate that on the form and can walk right through 'nothing to declare'.

Have a great trip!

Ocn Vw 1K Dec 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Please follow the thread as it moves to the Canada forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

FinsToTheLeft Dec 20, 2014 7:43 am

We don't have red/green lanes in Canada. You will fill out the card provided on the plane and then either use a self serve machine or see an agent. After you claim your baggage, if any, you hand in the card to an agent at the exit. Everyone goes through the same channel.

enviroian Dec 20, 2014 11:13 am

Thank you all for the info!

AA_EXP09 Dec 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 24025256)
I'm flying LHR-YVR on January 1st. I read I can bring up to 1 case of beer duty free. All I really want to do is pack a six pack of pint cans in my suitcase and check it in at lhr. Is that okay? Do I still need to write down I'm bringing in the beer on the entry card?

Thanks

Actually you can bring in 8.52L/288 oz (though it doesn't seem to matter since 6x19oz=114oz.)
Remember to claim back the VAT on the beer as well when you leave LHR.
You only need to declare if in excess of the duty free limit.
(though if I were you I would rather bring back Carling using the 3/20GBP promotion going on for quite a while at ASDA and sell the now tv passes once in Canada. Admittedly, Carling does taste as bad as Coors Light.)
Hopefully you are flying BA instead of the sardine can to Canada :D

B1 Dec 21, 2014 6:27 am

For clarification - you will have "something to declare" but will be within the allowed limits. So you declare it and there are no fees. That is not the same as "nothing to declare". Not declaring an imported item is subject to penalties even if it is within the limits.

Ceres Dec 21, 2014 6:57 am

I've never heard of anyone bringing beer INTO Canada before. I think you'll stump customs on that one.

Usually when I leave, I'm way over the limit with Alexander Keith's !

Fredd Dec 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 24031711)
I've never heard of anyone bringing beer INTO Canada before. I think you'll stump customs on that one.

Actually, it's been fairly common for, say, British Columbians returning from Washington State, as the same beer in Canada can cost upwards of twice as much (at least the last time I compared prices some years ago).

LondonElite Dec 22, 2014 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 24031711)

From the US possibly not. From Germany or Belgium, there's a bit more of a reason to. Although the US craft brew scene is very hot these days.

AA_EXP09 Dec 22, 2014 8:27 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 24035684)
From the US possibly not. From Germany or Belgium, there's a bit more of a reason to. Although the US craft brew scene is very hot these days.

My example was purely based on price but I can see this as a more compelling reason to do so for many people.