Search

CSBA @ YVR when departing Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:34 am
Formerly known as tireman77
Original Poster

CSBA @ YVR when departing Canada

Hi all,

I have flown out of YVR to international destinations twice and both times I have been 'questioned' by CSBA agents at the gate or on the jetway. Of all the many dozens of international flights I have taken out of YUL & YYZ, I have never been or even seen CBSA agents in the departures area.

Is this just a YVR thing?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Happens in YYC too. Not uncommon for AC850 to LHR or AC844 to FRA to have CBSA Officers at the gate questioning passengers after the Gate Agent boards them. Can happen as often as once a week. Usually has to do with currency... passengers have to declare if they are exporting a certain amount of cash and not all of them do. Sometimes the flight is delayed if CBSA denies travel to a passenger and their bag has to be pulled.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I have only seen it in Vancouver, that is not to say it does not happen elsewhere.
And yes, they are usually looking for anyone carrying over $10,000 in undeclared
cash.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:22 am

I've seen it at YYZ.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by travel_geek
I've seen it at YYZ.
Recall having this on one YYZ departure, think it was to EZE/SCL. Asked about currency...did I look that prosperous? Also have had US agents do this ex-MIA to SCL, though they didn't quiz me those times.

Wonder where OP was headed?

Caught an episode of both the Canadian Border Security TV series and the one about MIA where people were caught with wads of currency exceeding the $10K limit. I've always wondered about the anachronism of the question on various customs forms regarding this. It talks about "monetary instruments" and while I might not have cash or cheques or securities anywhere close to $10K on me when traveling, the credit cards in my wallet have credit limits in excess of $100K when tallied up, so technically I suspect we'd all be in technical violation every time we cross the border.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Recall having this on one YYZ departure, think it was to EZE/SCL. Asked about currency...did I look that prosperous? Also have had US agents do this ex-MIA to SCL, though they didn't quiz me those times.

Wonder where OP was headed?

Caught an episode of both the Canadian Border Security TV series and the one about MIA where people were caught with wads of currency exceeding the $10K limit. I've always wondered about the anachronism of the question on various customs forms regarding this. It talks about "monetary instruments" and while I might not have cash or cheques or securities anywhere close to $10K on me when traveling, the credit cards in my wallet have credit limits in excess of $100K when tallied up, so technically I suspect we'd all be in technical violation every time we cross the border.
You are allowed to take/bring an unlimited amount of money, they just want hard cash report so they can track it/make sure its not coming from illegal sources etc. you can take out 50 grand and head to Vegas, as long as you declare it and can show it came out of your bank account and money was obtained legally no one will stop you.

CC are the most traceable things out there, hence no one is funnelling money with CC.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Wallace99
You are allowed to take/bring an unlimited amount of money, they just want hard cash report so they can track it/make sure its not coming from illegal sources etc. you can take out 50 grand and head to Vegas, as long as you declare it and can show it came out of your bank account and money was obtained legally no one will stop you.

CC are the most traceable things out there, hence no one is funnelling money with CC.
Exactly -- it's not the >$10k that bothers them, it's the undeclared >$10k that the CBSA is after.

BTW I highly recommend Border Security. It's surprisingly entertaining and informative. I think some episodes are on YouTube and the show airs daily on the National Geographic channel.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:11 am

I've seen the checks before almost every time I've flown to HKG from YYZ. They are looking for undeclared cash over $10K. I've seen a couple get caught red-handed with what looked like $200K in their bag, and that held up our departure for a good half hour.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Out of YVR I was flying to SYD & AKL. A few years apart. Indeed, they were asking about currency, since I think that is the only thing they can really ask about as a Canadian in Canada leaving. Maybe because I was travelling alone?

I just found is odd that I was 2/2 out of YVR and 0/a ton out of all other Canadian airports.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
It is random and/or targeted based on the destination of the flight. Mostly checking for undeclared currency.
--
13F
Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
It is most likely currency, but there is actually a very long list of stuff you cannot export and which they do care about. Just have a look at the Export Control List.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

I understand the why. My question was more why so often at YVR and not elsewhere?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tireman77
I understand the why. My question was more why so often at YVR and not elsewhere?
Because that's the airport that gets the most airtime on Border Security
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:13 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
At YYZ in 2005. (Ok it's a bit dated i know..)

YYZ outbound on the Air Canada YYZ-Bogota flight.

Appeared to be random.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by tireman77
I've seen (and experienced) it in multiple US airports.

No, it's not just a YVR thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.