Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Got a speeding Ticket in Ontario Canada Highway! What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

I am from Illinois, USA. I was driving to Niagra Falls from Michigan State. About an hour and half from the Falls, I was pulled over by a Canadian highway patrol cop for speeding 115KM on 100 KM zone. My car is US car and it doesn't show kilometer on dashboard screen. I was getting late to so I drove bit faster. The cop seemed nice. took my License, Insurance and registration info. came back with a traffic ticket, He said normally the fine in this case is $115 or $157 something but he has reduced it to $52.50 for me. The ticket shows Total payable $52.50.

Now my question is will this go against my driving record? Or it is just a fine and I will be fine after paying the fine? I can pay it online and I have 15 days from the date it was issued.
Thanks
Old May 12, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Now my question is will this go against my driving record? Or it is just a fine and I will be fine after paying the fine? I can pay it online and I have 15 days from the date it was issued.
Thanks
I would suggest paying it in any case. I know some states trade info on tickets, but I'm not sure if any do with Canada.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djk7
I would suggest paying it in any case. I know some states trade info on tickets, but I'm not sure if any do with Canada.
yes of course I will pay it but my question is if I pay it, am I admitting guilt and it goes to driving record? In Illinois, it shows up as Supervision on driving record.
Is it just a cash fine only and won't do anything to my driving record if I pay it?
Old May 12, 2014, 2:37 pm

Ontario does have reciprocal agreements with several states, but not sure if Illinois is one of them. Was the ticket for 115 in 100, or was that what you were actually driving and he stopped you and gave you a lesser fine than that? It's rare to get stopped for 115 on the highway in the first place, although if my guess is right, you were on the 403 between Woodstock and Hamilton, which can be pretty quiet traffic wise, so maybe the cop was bored.

Quite often 15 over is the fallback ticket they like to give because 16 over is where demerit points start. Of course, if you are really blasting down the road, or are a jerk to the officer, or they have a safety blitz going on, they can and do give out the full ticket.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

I was pulled over in Brantford Canada. says country of Brant. I think it was right after I passed London

In the ticket the cop has written: " speeding 115KM 1hr in a posted 100KM 1hr"
I had my wife and baby with me, the baby was crying so I increased the speed just for a bit to exit somewhere to check on the baby. I implored the officer to forgive us this time. I meant to ask him to not give us a ticket. He says he can understand but "I shouldn't be speeding and says I will see what I can do" 3 mins later, he gave us the ticket but says he has reduced the fine from $150 something to $52.50 only and wished us good luck.

http://speedingontario.com/penalties.php
Old May 12, 2014, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Since you're going to pay anyway, go ahead and get that done online so that you don't blow a deadline while you've got a reduced fine.

Even if Ontario shares data with Illinois, there's a good chance that the "sharing" gets loused up. So, just sit back and hope. Nothing you can do about it, so making calls and the like can only hurt.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: FT
yes of course I will pay it but my question is if I pay it, am I admitting guilt and it goes to driving record? In Illinois, it shows up as Supervision on driving record.
Is it just a cash fine only and won't do anything to my driving record if I pay it?
Yes. You violated laws and its a conviction in canda and probably recognized in the us as the same. It may show up on your record. Sometimes you have to consider fighting for the sake of trying to plead it to a parking ticket but I understand it is harder to do that here versus say buffalo...where one can plead to a no point but expensive parking ticket.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Even if they share with Illinois 15km/hr over the limit is viewed here as a minor conviction by the insurance companies. Considering that most people including the supposedly governed at 105km/hr tractor trailers are probably going a minimum of 120km/hr on the 400 series highways anywhere outside of Toronto where you can count yourself lucky if you can average 40km/hr. I'm sure you were going a lot faster than you probably thought. Pretty sure everybody I know has been dinged for at least one of these in their driving life. I'd just pay the $52.50
Old May 18, 2014, 5:43 pm
B1

If you belong to the AAA in Illinois, they provide legal advice to members. Ask for that advice. I was once advised by the CAA to ask to have the charge reduced when I got a ticket from tribal police in New York for going 60 in a 55 zone. They court reduced it to failure to obey a traffic device and there is no record.
Old May 19, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Paid the fine within 15 days deadline,I can't go to Canada just to contest the ticket in court and even if I do, I will most likely lose.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:46 pm
B1

Paid the fine within 15 days deadline,I can't go to Canada just to contest the ticket in court and even if I do, I will most likely lose.
In my case there was no going to court. I sent in the ticket to the court and a letter of explanation. The JP reduced the charge but assessed the same fine. It is good to check if they allow you to write a note. That was advice from the CAA lawyer. In my case, I was not on the reserve and the guys with car were playing with their radar. Their jurisdiction off the reserve is supposed to be for emergencies when the State Police are understaffed. The court in Bombay NY is for a tiny community but there are amazingly large numbers of tickets as the tribal police issues go there. The money taken in does not go to the reserve.

Last edited by B1; May 31, 2014 at 7:16 pm
Old May 29, 2014, 12:10 pm

Blueskyheaven,

Without seeing the charge wording and section/statute on your ticket, I am assuming you were charged pursuant to section 128 of the HTA (Highway Traffic Act). I'm pretty sure you're good. 0-15 km/h over the speed limit has 0 points attached to it. It is the more serious moving violations that other jurisdictions have an interest in.

If you travel frequently to Ontario, then during any future traffic stops, police can view previous convictions. Depending on the jurisdiction these show up automatically or require a separate query.

Either way, police agencies in Ontario cannot automatically see your driving history for all of North America. Unless there are 'special' reasons why they are interested in you, this will not effect your driving record.

NJD
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
I got nailed on the way from the US to Calgary doing 210 in a 120. Cop gave me a ticket, which I never paid. Never showed on my DMV record.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Somebody living in Illinois who faces a maximum fine of C$52.50 is crazy to do anything but pay up. Anecdotal stories about what others have done elsewhere and what has and has happened to them don't really help here.

Every year there are people charged with murder who are mistakenly released from jail because of a paperwork glitch. Doesn't mean that it's a smart (or legal) thing to go and commit a murder because you might be released.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
First, you would not get pulled over for going 115 in 100.

The fine of $52.50 is reduced ticket (is the letter R on your ticket anywhere?)

If you were to fight it, you were guaranteed to lose. If the cop puts a letter R on the ticket - it is understood that the offence was higher but was reduced for whatever reason on the spot, like first offense, or in your case cop would probably use your lack of km on dashboard.

Originally Posted by 122554
I got nailed on the way from the US to Calgary doing 210 in a 120. Cop gave me a ticket, which I never paid. Never showed on my DMV record.
Have you been to Canada since?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.