Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non Chipped Card in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:33 am
B1

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
OK, what about the risk that with virtually any POS, the chip can be easily bypassed without even the merchant realizing it many times?
(insert a non chip card 3 times, potentially a real one, then swipe the fraudulent one when the machine says 'chip error: use magstripe'. This has been true for BOC/HSBC machines in HK and TD/Moneris/globalpayments machines in Canada.)
My post may not have been clear: when the chip is used by inserting it cannot be copied. That is why it is more secure for the card holder. If someone wants to get around that security it is not likely to be for the purpose of protecting themselves from fraud.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Braindrain
In France, I was taking the SNCF and found out first hand that the CC machines with the conductors/ticket checkers only take chip CCs.

But, in Canada, having a non-chipped CC is not a problem. Anywhere.
Just curious how did this situation get resolved? Cash or did you also have a chipped card available?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For this trip, we were headed from Paris to Mont St Michel. The train got me to Rennes, where I had to then transfer to a bus for the remainder of the trip.

Anyways, luckily I was carrying a bit more Euro than normal so I paid cash. They absolutely would NOT accept a swipe card and I didn't have a chipped card.

When I got to Mont St Michel, I was freaking out a bit as I was worried I didn't have enough Euro with me. Funny thing was, virtually every merchant there took my non-chipped card!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Right now, non-chipped cards work fine (with a very few exceptions). Canada is still converting - my corporate card only was switched 3 months ago. A few stores (mostly US HQed) don't even take PINs at this point.

If you ask in 2 years, the answer may well be different. I'd expect that Europe will be harder than Canada by and large.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:20 pm

I have chipped cards and use them in Europe a lot. Hardly ever I have been asked for a PIN, usually I have to sign. In some places I have to PIN and sign, but I don't remember in which country those places where.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jalinth
Right now, non-chipped cards work fine (with a very few exceptions). Canada is still converting - my corporate card only was switched 3 months ago. A few stores (mostly US HQed) don't even take PINs at this point.

If you ask in 2 years, the answer may well be different. I'd expect that Europe will be harder than Canada by and large.
Even PC Mastercard (expiring 08/14) still is chip+sign.
(I don't use this card out of Canada, though, and it largely remains in my safe unless I go to Loblaws/Superstore.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.