Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal to prince Edward island

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Montreal to prince Edward island

We want to take train from NY to Montreal then go to prince Edward island
I looked up the train but cost seems very high so thinking of renting car from Montreal then driving
How long is drive, hours? Thinking maybe we could stay at hotel on way, one night, 2 nights? I don't like driving for more than 4 hours a day
If we do this, how many stops will be needed? Any recommendations for towns to stop?
Thanks for info
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:30 am

There is no train to Prince Edward Island. You can take a train from Montreal to Moncton and then a bus from there. (That might be possible on a single ticket.) The train from Montreal to Moncton is actually very cheap, if you calculate $ per hour of train travel. Book more than two weeks ahead.

As for your driving questions, please consult Google Maps or thelike.

However, I would suggest flying from NY to Halifax and renting a car there (or taking the bus to PEI). MUCH shorter drive. And you could enjoy some of Nova Scotia (arguably more beautiful than PEI).
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:48 pm
B1

You'll need a car in PEI and it's a very long drive from Montreal. You can fly to Charlottetown from Montreal and spend your time at PEI. There are lots of places in between but it would require many days of four hour drives.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I live in Montréal, and when I went to PEI (beautiful!) last year, I opted to fly to Halifax and then took a rental car from there. You can do one-way with the ferry from Pictou and one-way across the Confederation Bridge, both are scenic experiences. And you save yourself hours of boring driving from Montréal down the St-Laurence.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Going on a sister trip and she can no longer fly due to health reasons
So either drive or train to Moncton but the train seems to ne around $450 round trip for each of us, that seems very expensive to me
As it is overnight train we would need to get a sleeper again to to health

So think it will be driving, really looking for suggestions on some interesting towns to stop along the way to PEI
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I've driven from Montreal to PEI. It's a long drive, but it's pretty easy. If you're not going to fly, I'd recommend considering renting a car.

You'll be in Edmundston, NB in about 5 1/2 hours. It's a great place to stretch your legs and grab a bite. You'll be at the Confederation Bridge about 5 hours later. You'll pass Moncton about an hour sooner, so that's another good spot for a stop. Once you cross the bridge (and get past the Anne of Green Gables gift shops), it's about an hour to Charlottetown.

There are a few places I'd suggest stopping along the way (Hopewell Rocks, for example), so depending on what sort of flexibility you have in your schedule, you can make a really nice road trip out of it.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:01 pm
B1

I would drive to Quebec City and then Tadoussac. Spend some time there whale watching and seeing the Saguenay Fjord. Then take the ferry from Les Escoumins to Trois Pistoles - there are often beluga whales right along the boat. Then go to Mont Joli and cross the Gaspe on 132. Stay over in Campbellton. Go on to Miramichi and then connect at Shediac to the Trans Canada to PEI. Return to Montreal via Moncton and Riviere Du Loupe. The train also goes to Campbellton from Montreal. Look for seat sales on VIA. (From the VIA Rail site "To be among the first to find out about new seat sales, sign up to receive our e-letter.And don't forget to check out our Express deals. You can save 50 % or more on select eastern or western destinations.")

Last edited by B1; Aug 3, 2013 at 6:40 pm
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips on some interesting towns, places to see on a road trip!
Good info that there may be sales on the VIA train, would prefer that, then rent a car for the final drive, but right now a sleeper would be much too expensive at around $450 a person
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:07 am
DNA

Programs: BAEC
+1 to what B1 said.
Or you might as well drive there from NY - cross the border in Houlton or Calais, ME. Driving distance from Montreal will be similar: Montreal-Fredericton is 9 hours, and NYC-Fredericton is ~9:40. F'ton-PEI is another 3 hours or so.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Any reason why flying to or closer to YYG is not being considered in lieu of train from NY + drive? It isn't an expensive trip if using miles, what with US and Avianca having mileage sales going on now and with BA miles cheap to pick up for trips from JFK to YUL.

Often during the summer I am able to get DL flights on the cheap using miles for JFK-YYG-JFK. When DL is not being so generous on this route, TACA/Avianca lifemiles.com has saved me money even as I need to add in a connection at Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto to get onto YYG on PEI.

Car rentals tend to be cheaper in Halifax than YYG when it comes to my trips, so flying at least to Halifax may make sense in a way that flying to YYG may not.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:54 pm
B1

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any reason why flying to or closer to YYG is not being considered in lieu of train from NY + drive? It isn't an expensive trip if using miles, what with US and Avianca having mileage sales going on now and with BA miles cheap to pick up for trips from JFK to YUL.

Often during the summer I am able to get DL flights on the cheap using miles for JFK-YYG-JFK. When DL is not being so generous on this route, TACA/Avianca lifemiles.com has saved me money even as I need to add in a connection at Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto to get onto YYG on PEI.

Car rentals tend to be cheaper in Halifax than YYG when it comes to my trips, so flying at least to Halifax may make sense in a way that flying to YYG may not.
NOTE OP on post #5 "Going on a sister trip and she can no longer fly due to health reasons"
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:26 pm

Unless you're going to PEI for a specific reason, I think that the journey to get there is just as interesting as the actual destination! I agree with B1's itinerary. I've done the drive from Quebec City to PEI (and then on to the ferry to Iles-de-la-Madeleine, that was a long trip!) - the drive is long and sometimes boring, but the national parks, the small villages and museums and the little oddities along the way make it more interesting. Either way, I'd be sure to split up the drive in 2 days at the very least, and pick an interesting town to stop in. I'd definitely pick driving over public transportation - way more flexibility and comfort!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for ideas about driving and some interesting places to visit on the trip
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by DNA
+1 to what B1 said.
Or you might as well drive there from NY - cross the border in Houlton or Calais, ME. Driving distance from Montreal will be similar: Montreal-Fredericton is 9 hours, and NYC-Fredericton is ~9:40. F'ton-PEI is another 3 hours or so.
I am all for speeding, but 9:40 NYC to Fredericton is pretty aggressive . 9 hours Montreal to Fredericton is quite doable.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:17 pm
DNA

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by drwilliams
I am all for speeding, but 9:40 NYC to Fredericton is pretty aggressive . 9 hours Montreal to Fredericton is quite doable.
9:40 net driving time might be doable. My wife can never pass Freeport without stopping there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.