Wiki Posts
Search

Winnipeg Preclearance Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
Winnipeg Preclearance Question

Apologies if this has been answered before, search wasn't much help.

I'm planning a trip to Winnipeg and am looking at flights. Some of the connection times are reasonable if I clear US customs/Immigration in Winnipeg, but not if I have to clear in my connecting airport.

So, does Winnipeg have US Preclearance?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Yes, it does.
Out of curiosity, what do you want to see there?

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Dec 3, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
It's a business trip. Not sure I'm going to have a lot of sightseeing time. I've also got some personal commitments driving me to a very early departure on my last day. So, that eliminates me connecting through Toronto as I've done on a previous trip.

Thanks for the quick answer!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ediemac1
It's a business trip. Not sure I'm going to have a lot of sightseeing time. I've also got some personal commitments driving me to a very early departure on my last day. So, that eliminates me connecting through Toronto as I've done on a previous trip.

Thanks for the quick answer!
Not much to see there TBH.
(I had to drive there in order to sign for a season pass of Jets tickets as a scalper.)
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows whether WestJet flights to the US use preclearance in Winnipeg? I've noticed that WestJet's transborder flights use Gate 4 (according to YWG's website). Gate 4 is adjacent to the Delta/United gates for their transborder flights, which definitely use preclearance.

But Gate 4 is also used for some non-US bound flights, which certainly wouldn't use pre-clearance. So is there some sort of moveable barrier that allows Gate 4 to be switched from pre-clearance to domestic/overseas? Or do US bound WestJet passengers clear immigration upon arrival in the US?

It would be a shame if the pre-clearance facility wasn't used for as many US bound departures as possible, considering how relatively few US bound flights there are from YWG.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows whether WestJet flights to the US use preclearance in Winnipeg? I've noticed that WestJet's transborder flights use Gate 4 (according to YWG's website). Gate 4 is adjacent to the Delta/United gates for their transborder flights, which definitely use preclearance.

But Gate 4 is also used for some non-US bound flights, which certainly wouldn't use pre-clearance. So is there some sort of moveable barrier that allows Gate 4 to be switched from pre-clearance to domestic/overseas? Or do US bound WestJet passengers clear immigration upon arrival in the US?

It would be a shame if the pre-clearance facility wasn't used for as many US bound departures as possible, considering how relatively few US bound flights there are from YWG.
They're called swing gates, they go back and forth between domestic and trans-boarder flights as needed, just different doors opened, gives airports a lot more flexibility. They're used at pretty much all the Canadian airports that have preclearance
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by AC681
They're called swing gates, they go back and forth between domestic and trans-boarder flights as needed, just different doors opened, gives airports a lot more flexibility. They're used at pretty much all the Canadian airports that have preclearance
OK, yes I believe I've seen those at other places. But there's still the question of whether WestJet actually uses them in YWG. I assume so. Just hoping for a first-hand account.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
OK, yes I believe I've seen those at other places. But there's still the question of whether WestJet actually uses them in YWG. I assume so. Just hoping for a first-hand account.
Yes they do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.