Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at Gander?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Connecting at Gander?

Next week I need to transfer in Gander, from Halifax, en route to St. John's.

Few questions....
1. I presume I don't have to clear security, as I would have cleared it in Halifax. Correct?;
2. I was told that there is no Maple Leaf Lounge (I am a SE). Are there any outlets airiside from where I can buy something to eat or drink?; and
3. Is there Wi-Fi?

Ideally, I wouldn't care, but I have three hours in Gander.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:23 pm

I have no idea about your questions. But I would bring a serious camera. I would expect that you are going to be in a tiny plane from Gander to St. John's, flying relatively low. This might be a chance to take some awesome pictures of Newfoundland. :-) Unless you fly in the dark.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal

Few questions....
1. I presume I don't have to clear security, as I would have cleared it in Halifax. Correct?;
2. I was told that there is no Maple Leaf Lounge (I am a SE). Are there any outlets airiside from where I can buy something to eat or drink?; and
3. Is there Wi-Fi?

Yes, free Wi-Fi and everything else you need to know you can probably surmise from this
YQX has a spacious terminal designed to accommodate 350 people
Spacious indeed .

YHZ-YYT via YQX ! Hope you got a good fare to justify that dogleg.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 1:41 pm
B1

You might want to consider this routing for your return. It's a good way to spend Euros as well.

Last edited by B1; Nov 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
So I just wanted to update, as I transited through Gander last week. My overall impression, NEVER AGAIN, for the following reasons:

1. If you're transiting through Gander, you have to clear security again;
2. There are no coffee shops, etc.... (there is a pub landside). There is literally nothing airside, just a vending machine and washrooms. Nothing else...very very dry airport, and literally feels like you are in a village;
3. Actual departure and arrival times did not appear on YYT's airport website, nor AC's website. This was problematic for people who were waiting to receive us in YYT (flight was delayed by 20 minutes, but didn't appear on any websites);
4. Horrible planes, of course, but as as some of you said, the view is fantastic

On a positive note, the ground staff were nice and very friendly.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:55 pm

I’m travelling thru Gander all the time and really have no problem with the facilities available (or lack off)......guess I don’t expect a MLL in every port! And clearing security is a breeze......I’m usually the only one in line. I had a three hour stopover once and decided to walk into the local mall. It’s about 15 minutes away (walking) and in typical Newfoundland fashion.....cars stopped twice and offered me a drive.

But just being at that airport.....the history of the place! Did you take time to look through the cases in the main lobby displaying the history of Trans Atlantic Aviation?

And the large darkened areas beyond the glass portion in that one departure area in use......there’s a whole other terminal there that can come alive pretty fast when it’s needed for a ‘747 or ‘777 diversion just like it did on 9-11 when 39 widebodies arrived with 7000 passengers to be housed and fed.

Gander was once a refueling stop for Aeroflot, Interflug, Cubana, CSA and during those stopovers the RCMP Officer meeting those flights would often be approached by someone seeking asylum. Their first taste of freedom was Gander.

And go back to the ’50 before the jets and PanAm, TWA, BOAC, Air France, SAS, El AL, Sabena were all there and maintained offices and crew bases.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:05 pm
B1

And this occurred at Gander as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_Air_Flight_1285
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal

Few questions....
3. Is there Wi-Fi?

1. Correct
2. Bahahahahahaha. Umm, hahahaha. It's a town of like 10k people. I would suggest that you leave the airport and head somewhere local. You likely won't get great food, but the people in that part of the world are something special. Ask the people who were stuck there on 9/11.
3. Not sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.