Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

New international to domestic transfer procedure at Vancouver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Hi. Before I transferred from an international to a domestic flight at Vancouver, there was a procedure that didn't require exiting into the public area. However, yesterday, I checked out Vancouver airport's website and it made no mention of a different procedure for those transferring to a domestic flight from an international one as opposed to those ending their travel in Vancouver. I want to just drop my bags off after exiting customs and then walk in the special corridor that connects directly to the domestic terminal so as to save myself the hassle of having to go out into the public area and then re-enter the domestic area just like someone starting their travel in Vancouver. Does this even exist anymore?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by saltspring
I want to just drop my bags off after exiting customs and then walk in the special corridor that connects directly to the domestic terminal so as to save myself the hassle of having to go out into the public area and then re-enter the domestic area just like someone starting their travel in Vancouver. Does this even exist anymore?
I don't think this ever existed. You can transit domestic to int'l without going landside (and there was/is some not-quite-going landside between domestic and transborder) but int'l => domestic, I believe you have to go landside.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I don't think this ever existed. You can transit domestic to int'l without going landside (and there was/is some not-quite-going landside between domestic and transborder) but int'l => domestic, I believe you have to go landside.
I personally transited from an Internatonal flight to a domestic one without having to exit through the main exit into the public waiting area. It was when the airport was under construction before the Olympics. There was a dedicated connection corridor complete with signage, elevators, and security screening. I wonder why they seemingly got rid of this.

Also, what about the drop counters for baggage that's connecting to a domestic flight from an international flight? When I connected as I mentioned in the previous paragraph, before exiting into the public area, there were both baggage drop stations for Air Canada for those that already have baggage tagged to their final destination, and regular check-in counters for both Air Canada and Westjet. Now the website only makes mention of Westjet check-in counters. Does this mean that I have to lug my bags from customs all the way to the domestic terminal and then check-in as if I were a passenger originating from Vancouver? I hope not as so many airports don't make this necessary.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: Blissfully unaffiliated
Originally Posted by saltspring
I personally transited from an Internatonal flight to a domestic one without having to exit through the main exit into the public waiting area. It was when the airport was under construction before the Olympics. There was a dedicated connection corridor complete with signage, elevators, and security screening. I wonder why they seemingly got rid of this.
The alternative route you describe in your first post still exists -- at least, it did last month when I went through there. I assume you're talking about taking the exit on the far right side of the customs hall. This works whether you're coming off transborder or international -- as long as you're in the customs hall, you're good to go.

It's funny, because I find the screening checkpoint on the alternative route to be one of the slowest, most disorganized ones in the entire system, and the chaos of landside seems more reasonable.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not true.

As a Vancouver resident, I've never used it, but the next time you're exiting the international area, have a look up by the washrooms. You'll see the AC bag drop counter. You drop your bag and then go up and pop out after domestic checkin. You still need to clear (dedicated) security.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:47 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The secure passage does exist. I did it on SEA-YVR-YYZ in June.

On the International arrivals "secure side" take the Domestic Transfers in the right hand side of the corridor. There is a transfer desk for AC. There are elevators and usually a YVR volunteer there. Note you can go outside from here if you mess up .

Take the elevators up to level 4. You'll be above the international check in desks and you'll be led along to an elevated hallway to a private screening area. You can see this screening area from the Domestic Maple Leaf Lounge if you look carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.