FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Capital One Aspire credit card - any real world experience? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1378509-capital-one-aspire-credit-card-any-real-world-experience.html)

VH99 Aug 2, 2013 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23 (Post 21203932)
For me, charges and payments always post within 48 hours.

Today I had a new run in with them, however. While traveling in Spain, a trip which I reported in advance, I tried to charge a 1,000 euro laptop. The transaction was declined. After 15 minutes on the phone via a lousy skype connection (no way to call collect in the shop), they told me that they had removed the restriction. I tried again, and the card was declined again.

Later in the day, I called Capital One from the hotel, and they told me the transaction was repeatedly declined because the store defined itself as a book shop and not as an electronics store. This was FNAC, the largest electronics chain in Spain and France, which also happens to sell books (and, for the record, I have been known to buy 1,000 euros worth of books). Basically, their point is that you cannot shop for electronics of a certain value at FNAC with a Capital One card.

The charge went through without a hitch on Amex (to which I had not reported my travel).

You were not the only one whose transaction was rejected by Capital one ... :D

http://i40.tinypic.com/f3b0vt.jpg

1Newflyer Aug 2, 2013 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99 (Post 21206675)
You were not the only one whose transaction was rejected by Capital one ... :D

http://i40.tinypic.com/f3b0vt.jpg

I guess fuzzy eyes after the steak. Mad cow or ill ale.....

ffsim Aug 3, 2013 7:20 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer (Post 21206717)
I guess fuzzy eyes after the steak. Mad cow or ill ale.....

I dunno, I've met a couple barmaids at that joint worthy of such a tip ;)

cashinstinct Aug 11, 2013 7:35 am

thanks everyone for sharing your experiences...

I had a trip delay in Hawaii and I thought I would have to use my Capital One insurance... but I ended up finding another flight (I had connections the day after so I went higher on priority list) and Hawaiian gave me taxi vouchers.... so no extra expense in the end.

Considering all that was said here, I am happy not to have any expense and go to the trouble to claim them.

I still like the near-2% (more around 1.8-1.9% depending of how close the expense is to $150, $350 or $600) and can use it for my monthly bus passes near $150.. but for travel purposes.... out of question I use this card

Mauricio23 Aug 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by cashinstinct (Post 21252239)
I still like the near-2% (more around 1.8-1.9% depending of how close the expense is to $150, $350 or $600)

Always 2% as long as the expense is >$600.

durberville Aug 29, 2013 6:03 pm

An update re: DL Cap1 insurance claim.

I posted earlier how I had a destroyed laptop claim 120 days from the date of purchase, counting the date of purchase as day 0 (so it could be argued that it was 121 days). On RFD, and I believe here as well (not sure), most people thought I'd lose my insurance claim. I am happy to report that after awhile, WTP (Cap1's insurance partner) fully paid my claim.

AMCyyz Aug 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by durberville (Post 21359961)
An update re: DL Cap1 insurance claim.

I posted earlier how I had a destroyed laptop claim 120 days from the date of purchase, counting the date of purchase as day 0 (so it could be argued that it was 121 days). On RFD, and I believe here as well (not sure), most people thought I'd lose my insurance claim. I am happy to report that after awhile, WTP (Cap1's insurance partner) fully paid my claim.

Hi @durberville - It's Andrew from Capital One. We're glad to hear everything worked out for you. Have a great long weekend.

jed416 Sep 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Delayed luggage

Hi,
Maurizio23 : I cannot even find the WTP forms for a delayed claim- I see the challenge with Capital One Capital Delta Mastercard! I am now worried.
Jed416

Mauricio23 Sep 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jed416 (Post 21481863)
Hi,
Maurizio23 : I cannot even find the WTP forms for a delayed claim- I see the challenge with Capital One Capital Delta Mastercard! I am now worried.
Jed416

There are no forms. You have to call them and they will instruct you to send a free-form letter along with the documentation.

wealth Oct 6, 2013 9:24 pm

Since the cp1 is still a good travel insurance cover and i don't want to pay 499 bucks only for amex travel insurance. I still stick on my cp1 world travel :(.

Any other credit card could be recommended expected Amex platinum?

I already had scotia and td credit card with travel insurance, but lucky never claim anything with them.

khkchan Feb 13, 2014 7:54 am

Do you know if the C1 Aspire mastercard travel medical insurance will cover me and my spouse even though I didn't book the trip using the credit card?

From the wordings in the insurance certificate, it seems only trip interruption, baggage delay, common carrier insurance, etc require booking the trip with the credit card.

thanks.

jerry305 Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by khkchan (Post 22341345)
Do you know if the C1 Aspire mastercard travel medical insurance will cover me and my spouse even though I didn't book the trip using the credit card?

From the wordings in the insurance certificate, it seems only trip interruption, baggage delay, common carrier insurance, etc require booking the trip with the credit card.

thanks.

I see your point. The wording on the website seems to suggest that.

AMCyyz Feb 25, 2014 11:11 am

Originally Posted by khkchan (Post 22341345)

thanks.

Hi @khkchan,

It's Andrew from Capital One. As the primary cardholder, you and your spouse as well as your dependent children, when travelling with either parent, are covered for trips up to 22 days, if under 65 years of age, and for trips up to 8 days, if 65 years of age or older. You do not need to charge anything to the card in order to be covered for Travel Emergency Medical Insurance. The other insurance benefits require you to use your Capital One card and/or your Capital One Reward Miles in order to be eligible for the coverage.

VH99 Feb 26, 2014 12:45 pm

It seems you can get a cash back rebate of $75 if you apply for this card via gcr now til april 30.

jerry305 Feb 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99 (Post 22422632)
It seems you can get a cash back rebate of $75 if you apply for this card via gcr now til april 30.

Really? I see up to $30.
http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...neTravelWorld/

Edit: On the day I posted this, the offer was $30. The next day, it's $75. Go figure.