Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Capital One Aspire credit card - any real world experience?

Capital One Aspire credit card - any real world experience?

Old Jul 18, 13, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Andrew keeps insisting that WTP will investigate and accept claims where "late inbound aircraft" is the only reason the airline states for the delay. Here I'm posting the letter I received from WTP when I did just that (highlighting is mine - when they refer to "the adjudication of my claim", they mean the original denial). This was sent after Capital One interceded with them on my behalf. Everyone can draw their own conclusions.

And yes, Andrew, we can all agree that it is best when airlines give passengers detailed statements explaining all incidences related to a delay. But airlines, for the most part, don't do that. And most other insurance providers out there don't make life difficult for customers when that happens.

Old Jul 18, 13, 5:08 pm

It is very clear that they will not pay if airline does not write what they want. Most of the time Air Canada at most will say late inbound flight and that is it. Insurance for delays at Capital1 card is limited in this case.
Old Jul 18, 13, 6:46 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
FWIW I never had any of this type of insurance claim issues with Amex plat(US$), BMO Gold travel Mastercard(Cdn$) HSBC Intl Premier VISA(GBP, HK$).

Since my organization has contract with DL and Cap1 is the Canadian card for earning Skymiles by spending in Canadian dollars I have looked at their offering and the credit limit offered is an insult just like some other previous post.

I guess you get what you paid for.

My DD has cancelled her Cap1 within the last month.
Old Jul 21, 13, 8:48 pm

Thumbs down Capital One Aspire Credit Card - Very Disappointing Experience

Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
Wow it sounds like it can be a mess navigating insurance coverage provided by various cards but unfortunately you don't find out until you need it....which is too late.

I just got reimbursed for hotel/car rental/meals under Trip Interruption Insurance due to a missed connection (weather affected incoming flight causing me to miss a connecting flight) with an Aeroplan flight redemption to YYZ-TPA with only taxes/fees(?) charged to my CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa. The airline got me on a flight the next morning to MCO (my choice) so didn't incur any additional flight charges, just the overnight hotel (CLE-where I missed my connection), prepaid car rental I missed, and dinner/breakfast.

You got a better deal probably because you charged to CIBC credit card. I had a very disappointing experience with Capital One Aspire master card. I have been using this card for the last three years for my travel payments hoping that I would get the trip interruption/ medical emergency insurance in case of an eventuality but the service provided by the insurers of CapitalOne is of a very poor standard.

I was on vacation with my wife to Kona, Hawaii on 8th April, 2013. I had a medical emergency and had to be admitted to hospital. I was advised by the doctor to cancel all my further travel plans. When the doctor told us about the possibility of intestine operation, I had to call my daughter from Toronto for help as my wife felt desperate and was unable to handle the situation. After spending two nights in the hospital my condition improved and I was discharged from the hospital and after a few more days I was allowed to fly back to my home. On my return from the trip, I submitted my claim for travel interruption to world travel protection and after continuously pursuing them for one and a half month, they paid me only our return ticket saying that no other expense is allowed. On reviewing the Aspire master card insurance policy, I realized I am also entitled to claim my daughter's return ticket to attend to me as well as the payment made for the car rental. While going through the policy I also came to know that I was required to get authorization from world travel protection (wtp) before asking my daughter to join us which I did not comply as I was not aware of this requirement.

I submitted my additional claim for $ 1444.51 on 05 July under medical emergency clause. I did not receive acknowledgement from WTP of my claim submitted on 05 July. I called wtp 3 times and left voice messages for Pamela on 28th June, for Susana on 6th July and for Len Lou (the supervisor) on 8th July as I wanted to discuss with them regarding my claim but I never received a call back.

World Travel Protection (WTP) provides a horrible service to Capital One card users. [email protected], with whom I took up the above issue have promised to look into the issue. I have not heard from them in last 11 days. Looks like WTP do not care about CapitalOne or their clients. They always seem to find out the reasons not to pay the claims. Better go for other cards than CapitalOne Aspire Credit Card.
Old Jul 24, 13, 10:19 am

I have the most glorious news. My full $250 delayed flight claim for the Newark Hotel was fully approved, and the cheque arrived this week. I am elated! So far, my experience hasn't been consistent with the others' on this forum.

However, it has not been a good flying season for me. This weekend I encountered more significant delays and cancellations. Upon arriving in Toronto on the weekend from Ottawa, my Porter flight was diverted to Pearson, after being delayed almost two hours. Once we landed, we were stuck for almost another two hours (until 1:45 AM) on the plane, on a remote portion of the YYZ T3 runway, because there were issues with getting a coach to pick us up off the Tarmac. I realize this isn't something WTP Insurance would be able to help me out with HOWEVER...

On the way TO Ottawa, my flight was cancelled due to weather. There was no more space on any flights out of YTZ Airport for the rest of the day. I wanted to book a one-way on Air Canada from YYZ, at a cost of $299, but I was too afraid, after reading these stories, that I wouldn't be covered. So I let Porter re-book me in the morning.

After reading the WTP coverage on CANCELLED flights (due to weather or mechanical issues), I am still completely unclear on what it covers. I understand the benefit to be a One Way ticket to where I need to go. But where does WTP draw the line between me rebooking with my existing airline free, for example: 6 hours after the cancellation, versus buying a one-way ticket departing 2 hours after the cancellation with another airline?

Because the reality is that almost ALL airlines will re-book you on another one of their flights, if your original flight is cancelled, so what is the point of WTP cancellation protection? If I want to catch the next flight out on ANY airline, will WTP cover the full cost of the ticket? Or will they say "oh, well your original airline offered to rebook you 6 hours from the time of your original flight, you chose to take a flight on another airline sooner, so that's your problem, we won't cover it" sort-of thing?

Help!!!
Old Jul 24, 13, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC E, UA Gold
It's interesting to hear other people's experience about insurance claim. My last flight delay claim (weather related) did not go well.

My first attempt was through my TD Visa but was told that flight delay was not covered - I was wondering what I actually get for paying the $120 annual fee . Luckily, I purchased a separate travel insurance due to the cost of the trip. When I called, the agent on the phone told me that weather related flight delay is covered and I need to submit all the document for the process, so I did. One week later, I got a phone call from the insurance company explaining to me that my claim was denied (the situation is a bit different). I argued the situation with the agent but she explained to me that my documents did not support the covered risks. Also, she told me my interpretation of the policy did not affect their decision. I think the insurance companies all have the same attitude that they have the final say of the decision regardless of how we interpret the policies. Therefore, I decided not to do business with this company again. And of course, I cancelled that TD Visa card as well.

Back to the Mauricio23's story, technically, the insurance company did what it's supposed to do by evaluating the documents against the policies. Is it not the airline's responsibility to provide the fact of the event to the passengers for insurance claims, e.g., "inbound flight delay due to weather conditions"? This statement definitely supports the claim under the flight delay policy offered by Capital One and other credit card companies.

On the other hand, I don't know if the insurance companies would have more power requesting further information from the airlines that the passengers can't get. If so, they should really do. Denying a claim based on the proof the passengers cannot get is the wrong practice and not fair. It makes the passengers caught in between the airlines and the insurance companies. How can the airlines get away with it in this case without being blamed?

After my experience above, I actually read a few travel insurance policies. Many of them have similar clauses to cover the flight delay due to weather, mechanic failure, etc. AMEX's policy is in fact very generous without asking for the reason of the flight delay. If the airlines only produce something like "inbound flight delayed" without giving a reason, that's very irresponsible, in my opinion.

I hope Andrew (AMCyyz) is able to make some changes from this Mauricio23's story (e.g., forcing the insurance company to request further information from the airlines if the passengers aren't able to), so we can all benefit in the future.
Old Jul 24, 13, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by achman228 View Post
...... I argued the situation with the agent but she explained to me that my documents did not support the covered risks. Also, she told me my interpretation of the policy did not affect their decision. I think the insurance companies all have the same attitude that they have the final say of the decision regardless of how we interpret the policies. .......

Back to the Mauricio23's story, technically, the insurance company did what it's supposed to do by evaluating the documents against the policies. Is it not the airline's responsibility to provide the fact of the event to the passengers for insurance claims, e.g., "inbound flight delay due to weather conditions"?

On the other hand, I don't know if the insurance companies would have more power requesting further information from the airlines that the passengers can't get.....

I hope Andrew (AMCyyz) is able to make some changes from this Mauricio23's story (e.g., forcing the insurance company to request further information from the airlines if the passengers aren't able to), so we can all benefit in the future.
I agree with everything you said ...... but in your concluding remark where Andrew will request the insurance company to force airlines is too much to hope for.
Old Jul 25, 13, 8:51 am

Wow, if airlines aren't REQUIRED to state a detailed reason in writing as to why a flight was delayed/cancelled, there SHOULD be a requirement that they must do so upon request.

Are we sure that there isn't some sort of mention of this in the airline tariffs, or passengers' bills of right, which make it mandatory for airlines to provide a letter of cancellation or delay upon request?

At the very LEAST they should be required to do so!
Old Jul 27, 13, 12:08 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by marktwothousand View Post
Wow, if airlines aren't REQUIRED to state a detailed reason in writing as to why a flight was delayed/cancelled, there SHOULD be a requirement that they must do so upon request.

Are we sure that there isn't some sort of mention of this in the airline tariffs, or passengers' bills of right, which make it mandatory for airlines to provide a letter of cancellation or delay upon request?

At the very LEAST they should be required to do so!
I will stick with amex for all my travel charges ...
I have had bad experience dealing with C1 CSR ...
Old Jul 27, 13, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99 View Post
I will stick with amex for all my travel charges ...
I have had bad experience dealing with C1 CSR ...
Does Amex Business Gold provide similar insurance coverage as Amex Gold?
Old Jul 27, 13, 2:31 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
Does Amex Business Gold provide similar insurance coverage as Amex Gold?
I have not checked since I never had to file any claim so far, but I have both personal and biz gold and have only charge air tix to personal ...

I think the business gold don't have the travel medical, the rest is the same as personal gold ...

What I like about amex travel medical coverage is that you can top it up if you need more than 15 days ...
Old Aug 2, 13, 12:19 pm

Do not trust this company

Capital One is the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

The approval process was excessively long & cumbersome even though my credit is impeccable, I have a higher than average income level & substantial liquid assets.

Their maximum credit limit is only $15,000.

It takes them several days to post payments & charges to your account.

Customer service is non existent.

I've heard one too many stories of them canceling accounts without notice & refusing to honour accumulated points balances.

I just cancelled my account. I will never do business with Capital One again.
Old Aug 2, 13, 12:25 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
^

Originally Posted by Mel2013C View Post

The approval process was excessively long & cumbersome even though my credit is impeccable, I have a higher than average income level & substantial liquid assets.

I've heard one too many stories of them canceling accounts without notice & refusing to honour accumulated points balances.

Old Aug 2, 13, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Mel2013C View Post

Is your experience with the Canadian division or the US one?
Old Aug 2, 13, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
For me, charges and payments always post within 48 hours.

Today I had a new run in with them, however. While traveling in Spain, a trip which I reported in advance, I tried to charge a 1,000 euro laptop. The transaction was declined. After 15 minutes on the phone via a lousy skype connection (no way to call collect in the shop), they told me that they had removed the restriction. I tried again, and the card was declined again.

Later in the day, I called Capital One from the hotel, and they told me the transaction was repeatedly declined because the store defined itself as a book shop and not as an electronics store. This was FNAC, the largest electronics chain in Spain and France, which also happens to sell books (and, for the record, I have been known to buy 1,000 euros worth of books). Basically, their point is that you cannot shop for electronics of a certain value at FNAC with a Capital One card.

The charge went through without a hitch on Amex (to which I had not reported my travel).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: