Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Capital One Aspire credit card - any real world experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One Aspire credit card - any real world experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Great and that is the way it should be. Is incoming flight excluded in cap 1 coverage? If not then it is reasonable to assume that it is covered.

More specifically it says:

(v)
a delay causing an Insured
Person to miss a connection
for a Common Carrier or
resulting in the interruption
of an Insured Person’s travel
arrangements
including
the following:
• A delay of an Insured
Person’s Common Carrier,
resulting from the
mechanical failure
of that carrier;

A traffic accident or an
emergency police-directed
road closure (either must
be substantiated
by a police report); or
• Weather conditions

Its clear the "late inbound flight" meets the italic words above. And since it is not listed in the Limitation and Exclusions then all is good.
Technically, it seems Cap1 does not cover "missing connection", in which the booked flight was not delayed.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Think I'm going to pass on CapitalOne

Thanks to all here for posting their experiences, especially regarding the insurance hassles. I am getting ready to dump my Amex Aeropesso Platinum and was considering the RBC Infinite or the Cap1 Aspire, looks like the RBC Infinite is going to be my choice.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:13 am
Company Representative - Capital One

Hi Forum Members:

It's Andrew from Capital One. I'd like to clarify an earlier post concerning the Flight Delay coverage on certain Capital One MasterCards. While it is true that "inbound flights" are not specifically called-out in the Certificate of Insurance, I can assure you that they are covered.

In the case that was described earlier, the claim was initially denied because the reason given was simply "late inbound flight". The claims administrator did not investigate this further and declined the claim. When it was brought to our attention, we contacted the insurance company. They agreed that the claims’ examiner should have pursued the reason further with the airline, which they ended up doing. Flight Delay coverage is applicable when a flight is delayed due to a strike of airline personnel, quarantine, civil commotion, hijack, natural disaster, inclement weather, mechanical breakdown, or denied boarding due to overbooking. Provided the "inbound flight" is delayed due to one of these reasons, there should not be an issue. In addition, the insurance company will endeavour to investigate these "inbound flight" causes further to avoid future disappointment.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Smaller companies can and will make many claims. It is when these claims need to be backed up that the organization runs into problems.

It is when backing up these claims like travel insurance and other related benefits that one decides on whether a company is worth doing business with.
IME and others', Cap One is not a company I want to be doing business with.

What is the point of having a company rep on FT to deal with issues that the company has no interest in dealing with? Is FT going to turn into a Cap One customer complaint forum?

During the Toronto storm and blackout last week, there are many cell phone users who wished that they are with H(B)ell or Robb(g)ers.

Base on postings here, AMCyyz will do very well in politics. (Ontario 1990)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:12 am

I too fail to understand what company reps are doing on social media outlets instead of their own sites or at the customer service phones. All of the customer's issues should be properly addressed in their own propaganda sites.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by AMCyyz
Hi Forum Members:

It's Andrew from Capital One. I'd like to clarify an earlier post concerning the Flight Delay coverage on certain Capital One MasterCards. While it is true that "inbound flights" are not specifically called-out in the Certificate of Insurance, I can assure you that they are covered.

In the case that was described earlier, the claim was initially denied because the reason given was simply "late inbound flight". The claims administrator did not investigate this further and declined the claim. When it was brought to our attention, we contacted the insurance company. They agreed that the claims’ examiner should have pursued the reason further with the airline, which they ended up doing. Flight Delay coverage is applicable when a flight is delayed due to a strike of airline personnel, quarantine, civil commotion, hijack, natural disaster, inclement weather, mechanical breakdown, or denied boarding due to overbooking. Provided the "inbound flight" is delayed due to one of these reasons, there should not be an issue. In addition, the insurance company will endeavour to investigate these "inbound flight" causes further to avoid future disappointment.
Hi Andrew,

While I can confirm that Capital One came through in my case, when I finally received my reimbursement from WTP they also included a letter stating that I had not complied with the conditions of the insurance certificate, and that they were processing my claim on an ex gratia basis and without prejudice. It also stated very clearly that any similar claims would be denied in the future. This is contrary to what you are stating here, and far from reassuring. It is also the main reason why I have put about $15,000 of airfare spend through Amex in the past few months.

The way to resolve the issue would be to amend the language on the insurance certificate, so that the claims administrator cannot continue to give customers the runaround (or send them letters warning them that their next claim will be denied). A delay caused by a late inbound flight is a delay, and should be covered regardless of the cause, and without making the customer jumps through hoops. As already discussed in this thread, this is not a problem with other credit card insurance products.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Hi Andrew,

While I can confirm that Capital One came through in my case, when I finally received my reimbursement from WTP they also included a letter stating that I had not complied with the conditions of the insurance certificate, and that they were processing my claim on an ex gratia basis and without prejudice. It also stated very clearly that any similar claims would be denied in the future. This is contrary to what you are stating here, and far from reassuring. It is also the main reason why I have put about $15,000 of airfare spend through Amex in the past few months.

The way to resolve the issue would be to amend the language on the insurance certificate, so that the claims administrator cannot continue to give customers the runaround (or send them letters warning them that their next claim will be denied). A delay caused by a late inbound flight is a delay, and should be covered regardless of the cause, and without making the customer jumps through hoops. As already discussed in this thread, this is not a problem with other credit card insurance products.
Did you have a misfortune to put a claim with Amex and if so, I assume things were smooth?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have made travel claims without any issue on my AMEX(plat) and BMO Gold Mastercard.

Three of these claims I was travelling with relative and friends who use Cap1.

That is just the tip of the iceberg.

Did anyone here gotten a merchant chargeback for non delivery of goods/services as per purchase with Cap1?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Just to add my experience, as I posted elsewhere award redemptions are not eligible for any insurance (including lost baggage) while others, like CIBC do cover).
Also, the credit limit is insanely low and they refuse to increase.
My credit limit is less than $10,000 and in the past two years of paying on time every month they will not increase.
I am forced to keep my CIBC card for backup for those times I hit the limit. (CIBC sees no problem with a $40,000 limit).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Just out of curiosity: given all these shortcomings and negative experiences, why do people still use this card? I'm following this thread because (1) it's very interesting and (2) I was considering getting the card. Now it's not even a question -- I'm going to avoid it like the plague.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by ffsim
Just out of curiosity: given all these shortcomings and negative experiences, why do people still use this card? I'm following this thread because (1) it's very interesting and (2) I was considering getting the card. Now it's not even a question -- I'm going to avoid it like the plague.
For me it is 1)Amex is not accepted at many places here and 2)scamcharges on Aeroplan redemptions are ridiculous so I needed a different why to redeem for flights.

I like Capital One because I can still get Qualifying miles on the flight and use my upgrade credits.
For regular spending and insurance it is inadequate though. If there was a better alternative, I would jump ship in a heartbeat. As it is, I am considering going back to CIBC depending on what happens with TD/Aeroplan and whether CIBC comes out with a solid card.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
1NewFlyer - yes, I have put flight delay claims through Amex a few times without issue in the past. I also put in a claim for damage to a rental car with them, again without issue (about 8 years ago).

ffsim, Capital One has the best reward ratio in the market - effectively 2% on every single purchase. Once the effective value of aeroplan miles dropped below 0.02 for me, Capital One became the best rewards deal out there.

I keep an Amex Gold for Costco purchases. Right now, I put every purchase that requires insurance through Amex (including all air travel), and everything that does not require insurance through Capital One. Given my spend level, it is still worthwhile to pay both annual fees.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
1NewFlyer - yes, I have put flight delay claims through Amex a few times without issue in the past. I also put in a claim for damage to a rental car with them, again without issue (about 8 years ago).

ffsim, Capital One has the best reward ratio in the market - effectively 2% on every single purchase. Once the effective value of aeroplan miles dropped below 0.02 for me, Capital One became the best rewards deal out there.

I keep an Amex Gold for Costco purchases. Right now, I put every purchase that requires insurance through Amex (including all air travel), and everything that does not require insurance through Capital One. Given my spend level, it is still worthwhile to pay both annual fees.
Great breakdown of card use.
Do you know how CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinity compare in insurance coverage to Amex?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:19 am

Oh dear, I wish I had read this thread before. I think I will be in deep doggy-doo, with respect to my delay claim. I was delayed over 6 hours and decided to stay over night and catch a morning flight instead. The hotel was almost $240. I have sent all my documentation and am waiting for a response from WTP. Here is the reason for the delay in the letter from the airline:

"This flight was delayed due to late arrival of inbound aircraft as a result of earlier air traffic flow management concerns caused by adverse weather conditions."

According to all this, it looks like I will get denied. Plus, I charged the "full cost of the flight" to the card, but broke the "full cost" up into smaller transactions on the card so that I could use points to cover for it later. The insurer will probably try to use that to say "it wasn't the full cost".

I can't believe these horror stories, and how C1's card can win all these nods from reviewers. Maybe they have not used travel protection? These experiences should be compiled and the story should go right to the Toronto Star's Consumer Critic.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by durberville
Ha, calling WTP now. Will be interesting to see how they wiggle their way out of this one
Can you please provide us an update durberville? I have Aeroplan and was going to use the points to buy a ticket to Australia. The taxes were $220 or so, and I was going to charge them to the C1 card. I assumed, based on the travel insurance info I read from WTP, that I _would_ be covered with benefits for the trip, since the "full cost" (taxes, in this case) were still charged to C1! Let us know what happened!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.