Hitchhiking in Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hitchhiking in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Hitchhiking in Canada

Is it safe and realistic to hitchhike coast to coast in Canada?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, United Prestige. Woot!
Hitchhiking in Canada

No different in than in the US, but who picks up hitch hikers??
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Not nearly as common as let´s say in New Zealand where you´ll see many students etc. hitchhiking.

I personally would look into other inexpensive options such as Greyhound etc.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: AC Prestige, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Hitchhiking in Canada

Instead of hitchhiking you might consider signing up for a carpooling or ride-sharing service. My ex used to work in a city about seven hours outside of Montreal on the weekends and would carpool with people he met through a ride-share service all the time. Some people giving rides were sketchy , though, but most were not. The safety benefit is that you can email friends and family the info of who you are going with before you leave. I can't remember the name of the service that he used, however. But I am sure if you google it, something will come up. Might be an idea?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by gregomck23
I can't remember the name of the service that he used, however. But I am sure if you google it, something will come up. Might be an idea?
Probably PickUpPal, but it's now banned in Ontario and maybe elsewhere.

Hitching is much more common in Canada than the US and generally safe if done in pairs. Stick close to the Trans-Canada highway is probably the best plan. Do some googling for reviews and stories.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Try the various craigslists in Canada. There are always people posting rides offered. Always check the destination and departure areas as people don't post in both (e.g., they may offer Montreal to Toronto and post it in Toronto if they live there but not in Montreal where the ride originates).
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
Is it safe and realistic to hitchhike coast to coast in Canada?
I did it once, sort of. Thumbed Toronto - Cape Breton - Toronto, Toronto - Vancouver - Calgary 2 week stopover - Toronto.

I met enough dangerous nut-cases along the way to convince me never to do such things again.

Last edited by PropWasher; Aug 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm Reason: 35-40 years ago
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Probably PickUpPal, but it's now banned in Ontario and maybe elsewhere.

Hitching is much more common in Canada than the US and generally safe if done in pairs. Stick close to the Trans-Canada highway is probably the best plan. Do some googling for reviews and stories.
Sorry Wally Bird, one crazy can take out a pair when it comes to one steering wheel. I know from experience.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
The carpool/rideshare option is useful as I used it before in the US. You can actually meet first before deciding to travel together.
Hitching is not that bad. You just have to be careful and use some common sense. It sounds racist but it seems that a White male is more likely to fit the highest risk profile. On the other hand, the elderly or overweight minorities are less likely to be psychos. What do you think?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
A long time ago did Calgary-Victoria (paid for ferry from Vancouver to Victoria (OK, not quite, but those who know the route know the ports) and Calgary-Vancouver.

No idea what it's like now, but back then seemed safe (yes, I'm a guy).

EmailKid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.