Wiki Posts
Search

Crossing the western Ontario/Michigan border on Friday night

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Crossing the western Ontario/Michigan border on Friday night

Hi, folks. I'm hoping some of you might be able to offer a recommendation for a GTA-departing driver on whether to aim for the Blue Water Bridge or the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel when heading for a Friday night Tigers game in downtown Detroit.

The goal is to reach the Courtyard at the U.S. exit of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel by 5:30pm. Google routing suggests travel times from my point of origin are roughly equivalent, but I can't figure out how to weigh Windsor rush-hour traffic approaching the tunnel entrance. Assume equal customs delay/hassle unless you know something I don't about the USCIS people manning each station.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by VT_hawkeye; Aug 10, 2012 at 10:03 pm
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The highway does not go to the Canadian tunnel entrance. There is a bit of driving through Windsor "downtown".

401/402/BlueWater/94 is all multilaned highway all the way to Detroit downtown.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:36 pm

I agree. Anytime I have decided to go through Detroit/Windsor, I end up regretting it. There aren't any easily accesible washrooms along the 402, and the low traffic volumes which can coax you into driving a little too fast. But other than that, I very much prefer that route to the Windsor traffic hassle, which is basically 15km of 3 lane city road with lights, and lots of trucks. From London, I'm usually going through downtown Detroit in about 1:45 going through Sarnia, with minimal bridge delays. I would bookmark http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/ or it's mobile version from your smartphone and check the border times, although once you commit at London, it doesn't really matter after that.

You just come down 94 from Port Huron, grab the I-75 Toledo/Flint exit, follow Toledo, around the ramp and then stay left on 375 as 75 splits right. You'll see Ford Field and Comerica Park on the right. You'll see an exit for Jefferson Ave E ahead, but you can stay to the left as the highway ends, and you end up in the same place as where that ramp takes you. Get over to the right lane for the hotel, which will be on the right, directly across from the Renaissance Center (which is the shiny blue round tower with the GM sign on it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.