Wiki Posts
Search

Roaming Security Officers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Roaming Security Officers

Just curious. Have any of you been interrogated by a security officer after passing through Immigration (typically at the baggage carousel)? What questions do they ask you? How do they make that decision to "accost" a traveler? I have travelled through more than 100 countries with little or no incidents. However, YVR seems to have it for me. I have been stopped dozens of time there for reasons I don't have. They typically ask the same questions as the Immigration officer at the gate then proceed to some really annoying ones. Who paid for your trip? Where did you stay? Do you have more than one wallet?.....I am not a terrorist, never done drugs, never had alcohol in my life. I am just an ordinary Joe they have searched numerous times to no effect. Oh, I once had a boiled egg I picked up at a hurried breakfast. Did they ever make a federal case of a BOILED egg. Heck, I have a Nexus pass with all the required security clearance. Someone suggested that I should wear a suit when passing through Vancouver. I did. It meant nothing to them. Any suggestions on what I should be doing because I am back there next week via LHR?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lllahim
never done drugs, never had alcohol in my life
Well there's your problem

Originally Posted by Lllahim
I have a Nexus pass with all the required security clearance.
I'm not sure I'd call that "security clearance".

But no, I've never heard of this.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
First, they're not security officers they are CBSA customs and immigration officers.

Secondly, they are most likely members of a roving team and they ask you those questions to determine whether or not they will invest time in examining you. They don't know (suspect) whether you're a terrorist, a drug mule, an alcohol smuggler or on a false document until they speak with you.

My suggestion to you is to answer the questions truthfully and with respect. Your attitude will most likely get you out quicker than anything else.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:33 pm

Yes, when travelling as a passenger I have been questioned by CBSA officers while waiting for baggage at YVR a couple of times. They have always been pleasant enough and their questioning has never taken more than a minute or two.

Whether the procedure is completely random or if I happened to fit the profile of someone about whom they had a tip on a given day I don't know.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:35 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Have you considered facial reconstructive surgery?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:46 pm

More chance of this as a single traveler IME. Less so, if you look like a tourist with SO along (unless she loves to buy shoes and purses abroad!)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:52 pm

You are far more likely to encounter a CBSA officer around the baggage carousel in YVR and YUL. These airports have implemented the automated border clearance program (different than NEXUS), see http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/abc-paf-eng.html. The officers that are no longer doing primary screening are now free to observe and interact with passengers in other areas.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: 100K
I travel a single passenger and haven't got questioned by these guys but do see them hovering around - usually questioning non-Canadians. As a Canadian citizen all you have to do is answer what is on the Customs form - and questions around that.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:14 pm

You are far more likely to encounter CBSA officers around the baggage carousel in airports that have implemented automated border clearance, thus far YVR and YUL. The officers that would have been engaged in primary screening are now free to observe and interact with travellers as they see fit.

For more on Automated Border Clearance see, http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/abc-paf-eng.html.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:16 pm

Duplicate post

Last edited by YEGOSL; Jan 2, 2013 at 9:18 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marco Polo Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Phrantic
My suggestion to you is to answer the questions truthfully and with respect. Your attitude will most likely get you out quicker than anything else.
This.

Personally, I'm a big fan of this. While I'm waiting for my checked baggage we can review my candied almonds indicated on my customs form ("seeds; nuts;") and confirm they are not high-risk, and a scribble from that officer means no secondary.

Pure win, from a time perspective.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Not big deal, just looking for red flags so when they ask if you are travelling with more than $10,000 cash never say "oh no, never on me I send the cash ahead with other people"
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marco Polo Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Not big deal, just looking for red flags so when they ask if you are travelling with more than $10,000 cash never say "oh no, never on me I send the cash ahead with other people"
...and you don't have to declare something, if you swallowed it - right?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:39 pm

i wonder if they are implemented as part of the recommendations after the polish traveller's incident a few years back (ie. to ensure people are not lost in the airport)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:58 am

I got "interviewed" by the luggage carousel once, 10 years ago when returning alone from Hong Kong after a work trip.

CBSA guy: "Can I have a look at your declaration form?"
Me: "Sure"
CBSA: "Oh, you've already been over to pay duties"
Me: "Yep"
CBSA: "Ah, ok. Uhm, are you travelling with a laptop?"
Me: "Yep"
CBSA: "Can I take a look at it?"
Me: "Sure". <Start taking out my beat to heck work Thinkpad.>
CBSA: "Oh, ok, that's an old laptop. Thanks for your time."

Meanwhile, people around me are offloading these honking huge pieces of luggage and boxes...

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors
This.

Personally, I'm a big fan of this. While I'm waiting for my checked baggage we can review my candied almonds indicated on my customs form ("seeds; nuts;") and confirm they are not high-risk, and a scribble from that officer means no secondary.
<snip>.
We declared "nuts" once when coming back from the Big Island since we were bringing back unroasted macadamia nuts so we could try roasting them at home. The CBSA guy catches this at the exit. "Hey, whoa, you're declaring nuts?" Me: "Yeah, macadamia nuts." CBSA guy while laughing to his buddy beside him and waving us thru, "Oooh, macadamia nuts. Do you think we need take them to secondary?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.